1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Washing frame after salt?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TacoEngineer23, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Feb 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    TacoEngineer23

TacoEngineer23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Sport DCB 6MT
    After getting hit with a blizzard,my entire truck is covered in salt, sand, and that's nasty road spray crap. The salt is essentially all dry on the frame so I'm guessing it is inactive. I'm thinking of holding off because the next couple days are going to be warm and all the rest of the snow and salt is going to flood the streets.

My question for you guys is; should I wait to clean my frame off (it is fluid filmed) or should I do it as soon as possible? What's the best way of soaking everything without taking a lot of the fluid film along with it(any recommended soaps, chemicals)?

2. Feb 2, 2016 at 5:17 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I would spray off the salt as soon as you can. I usually hit up a pay and spray as soon as I can. Usually I st spend a buck or two and rinse the truck. Main goal is to knock majority of salt off. Just because the salt is dry does not mean it's inactive.

TacoEngineer23[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TC UCA OME 884 5100 TSB+AAL 4.10 V6 6spd 285/75/16
    Just got my truck back after having the frame replaced last month and it's already being exposed to road salt. Took a trip to the car wash today and when I got home I thought up this setup. It should get into those areas's of the frame that the carwash can't.

IMG_0170.jpg

4. Feb 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM
    TacoEngineer23

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Genius. Barefoot bandit for president lol

5. Feb 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    BohlaaH

BohlaaH Loading...

Member:
    First Name:
    ALEX
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Rigid Industries Grille and 20' fitted LED bar 6" BDS Lift w/ FOX 2.5 (front) FOX 2.0 (rear) 35x12.5 TOYO M/T Open Country Tires Fuel Assault 18" Wheels OPT 7 LED 9003 Headlight Cut Cab Mount & Pinch Weld Trimmed Fender Flares 4.88 Yukon Gears ARB air locker Front & Rear Dent in Driver door... Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mounts Rigid Industries Dually "Amber" spot lights Adventure Offroad Fabrication Overhead Console OTTRAW Switch Mod
    get your vehicle rest-checked. I did mine as soon as I bought it, besides that use soap and water. Our local self wash has a hose with a little bend at the end for doing underbody. Kinda like a check mark. Another one is like a rake that sprays water upward on wheels. Some invention ideas. use copper piping and a hose connector for a pressure washer.

6. Feb 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Got some Bro Lean going on there

7. Feb 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM
    TacoEngineer23

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I'll give it a good once over with a hose, lawn sprinkler and all, I really don't want to use a heavy soap or power washing because I recently did do two coats of fluid film before winter so I'm not trying do that again until next fall. The things we do to protect our damn frames lol

BohlaaH[QUOTED] and Dagosa like this.
  8. Feb 10, 2016 at 1:19 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    I use a marine product called Salt Away when I flush the engines of my boat. It acts as a dispersant and I think adds a very thin protective coating as a corrosion inhibitor. I've also used it when I wash the undercarriage of my truck after taking it to the beach and I don't have any oxidation issues.

Might be worth looking into for those of you who have to deal with salt roads.

TacoEngineer23[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 10, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    I tend to agree. The sooner the better. If you have fluid film, I would just rinse it off with a hose and not a power washer. I don't fluid film but use oil, but still feel that rinsing is better them power washing if you have a coating you are trying to preserve.

10. Feb 10, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    SouthPoint

SouthPoint Member

Member:
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    2012 Gray Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    Salt Away for sure. Totally benign product that won't react with any undercoatings or other chemical treatments. I use it with
    the dispenser designed for it attached to a pvc type attachment called the Underwasher attached to a garden hose. I think the total price for the Salt Away and dispenser was about 30 or so bucks. The Underwasher was about 20 I believe. Salt Away is used extensively in the marine industry. Basically removes the salt and the "leftover" product won't allow salt to attach itself to the surface. No residue or spotting either.

11. Feb 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Good idea. Let me add, I have never had a rust problem on the frame of any Taco or Toyota framed vehicle I have owned...NEVER and I live it the middle of road salt heaven and often keep vehicles till they are more then ten years old. I think some over obsess and do the wrong things and others do nothing till it's too late. The idea is to keep an insulate on the frame as much as possible. You don't need a thick tough coating to protect it. You just try to stop rust from occurring. It's no different then putting grease or oil based product on the terminals of your battery. Just a thin light substance each year is all you need. Some prefer wax based. That should be OK too. But it isn't between these choices, it's workmanship and doing it yearly. You don't need expensive products.

12. Feb 14, 2016 at 8:37 AM
    UtahTacoma02

UtahTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Double cab TRD Limited
    ARB front bumper, Old Man Emu suspension, on board air compressor, on board hot water converter, cb radio, safari snorkel, warn 8K lb. winch, AP rock slidders/rear bumper, gray wire mod
    i just hook up my garden hose to a hot water fosset in the house and spray it off with a spray nozzle on the hose. you don't need high pressure water to rinse it off. saves you from feeding the box at the car wash every couple minutes and you're not rushed. just do it when no one is home or everyone will be taking cold showers.

TacoEngineer23[OP] and Dagosa like this.
  13. Mar 22, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    roto prop

roto prop roto-prop

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD BC DC/OR/LB 4x4 Tow pk , jbl premium
    Dipped front grill , vinyl tail gate letters , vinyl door sill lettering , vled interior lights , Vled back up and license plate lights , Vled switch back turn signals and brake lights , h9 low beam light mod , OEM bed matt , Raised front seats.
    Why dont you just under coat the bottom of the truck when it is all dry and clean and be done with it.

14. Mar 22, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    Don't obsess ans spray it off as soon as you can using pressure so that you can get into all the crevices and crannies. If you own a post 2014 model hope against hopes that Toyota changed the formula on the steel alloy they use for frames. And once it's done, it's done. Buy a new one and be happy for that!!

Products Discussed in

To Top