1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Watcha wearing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by irayfz6, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jan 9, 2023 at 3:58 PM
    Normshark

Normshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    Keeping with the vintage theme, the other pride of my flock. My father served with the NATO forces in Germany in the early 50's and brought this back for my grandfather (the other one). Just had it serviced.

upload_2023-1-9_18-57-59.jpg

2. Jan 19, 2023 at 9:51 AM
    Ryan's Taco

Ryan's Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Prince Edward Island
    Vehicle:
    24 TRD Offroad manual
    I have picked up two more today. Just waiting for them to get shipped out this afternoon. Breitling Colt A64350 and an Omega Speedmaster 3513.30.00IMG_20230119_134700.jpg IMG_20230119_134706.jpg

3. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    M37r1c

M37r1c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma RC 4x4
    A recent build that I did. Was gonna sell it on eBay but I've been getting attached to it. Still need to do smaller things like adjust the end links and such. It was a beat up Invicta that I sanded the case and gave it a brushed look. Changed the dial to a marine master dial and black date. Been digging it so far.

PXL_20230119_184516697.jpg
    PXL_20230119_184610314.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I've always been a watch guy, but never high end watches. I'm too rough on them and can barley make a Timex last over a year. I had a newer Fossil watch I really liked until the face got so screwed up I couldn't tell the time anymore.

So I have to ask, what is the obsession with expensive watches when all they do is tell time? To each their own and I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just never understood it (same with jewelry).

I have a buddy who has a Rolex and he's way into it. I looked at it and it's a nice watch and is great quality but to me isn't worth the cost of it since all it does is tell time.

I get paying a pretty penny for Smart watches since they have a lot of technology and some can replace a cell phone.

klavender1 and koditten like this.
  5. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    cjc208

cjc208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR Access Cab 2.7l 5speed 4WD
    265/75/16 goodyear duratrac, 16" sr5 anthracite wheels CBI Baja Front bumper / skid plate

I think its just a matter of how much you care about certain things. You can make the same argument about most things that are very expensive in comparison to similar products that perform the same function. Cars, watches, guns, knives, shoes, pens, wine, literally almost anything. I think it comes down to how passionate you are about things. Yes a Rolex and a timex both tell the time, but that's about all they have in common. When you talk about a Rolex, or a Patek etc you're talking about not only an genuine investment with actual resale value on an real secondary market, but you're entering the absolute pinnacle of the timekeeping world. Designed and produced by people who have dedicated their lives to that world. The history behind those watches goes back over one hundred years with different models and countless references and materials specific to each year. It's enough information to make your head spin. So yes they're the "same" thing, I guess, but they're very very different. In my opinion, the market for those watches is for people who are truly passionate about watches or people who are - and I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing - materialistic.

Normshark and Aw9d[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    Ryan's Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Prince Edward Island
    Vehicle:
    24 TRD Offroad manual
    Most Rolex takes about a year to make sounds strange but I watched a documentary on them a few weeks back when I bought mine. Before they leave the factory the clasp is open and closed 1000 times. The company is owned by a trust that was made up by the founder which means it can never be bought or sold, go on the market and they don't pay any taxes.

cjc208 likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:25 PM
    Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand Off Road DCLB 4x4
    Some great looking wrist candy here for sure.....

There is pretty much only 1 watch I've been pining for for a few years now. The only issue is with the way prices have gone since the pandemic, a Breitling Cockpit B-50 seems more out of reach now than ever sadly.

61WrxHouroL._AC_UY879_.jpg

dumontrider likes this.
  8. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:27 PM
    Ryan's Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Prince Edward Island
    Vehicle:
    24 TRD Offroad manual
    Close to that is the Breitling Endurance roughly 3500 cdn

Out2gtcha likes this.
  9. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:30 PM
    Out2gtcha

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Really decent looking watch. However, with its convex glass and MOP face nothing can touch a B-50 for me. Ive got several smart watches, Fossils and what not, but if I ever get any high end watch it will be a B-50 without any doubt.

10. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:38 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I'm with you. I like to top out around $200. My watch is a tool. Tools wear out and need replaced.

I've found my happy place with Seiko watches.

11. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    cjc208

cjc208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR Access Cab 2.7l 5speed 4WD
    265/75/16 goodyear duratrac, 16" sr5 anthracite wheels CBI Baja Front bumper / skid plate
    This is a fascinating watch. Niche and cool. 7k for a quartz/10bar watch does seem like a lot. But not sure there are any comparable alternatives to a 46mm analog/digital MOP breitling.

This thing is kinda sweet though https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/556_I_Mother-of-pearl_S.htm

12. Jan 19, 2023 at 1:00 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I can see that. I'm not materialistic at all so it's always been something I was curious about. I didn't know there was such a history behind the watches..

Do you remember the name of the documentary? Sounds interesting.

cjc208[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 19, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    PlataTaco

PlataTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Western WI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DCSB Ltd
    Older Citizen Eco-Drive I wear to work nearly every day so it can get scratched and beat up while my other ones just sit in a case. Always keeps good time though...Screenshot_20230119-151002_Gallery.jpg

14. Jan 19, 2023 at 1:27 PM
    Out2gtcha

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    It is, they are and there really isn't. lol - Your second point is really what has stopped me, as Im in no position to afford any 7k watch atm.
    I'm no expert, but the domed glass and MOP face really got me since all of my late fathers pilot friends and a lot of the air show guys all wore Breitlings.
    For me its as much of a nostalgia thing with Breitlings as anything.

dumontrider and cjc208[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Jan 19, 2023 at 2:37 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Here's where there's a big divergence between smartwatches vs non-smart watches - at least from my viewpoint. Smart watches are like any other "tech" item in that they quickly become obsolete. Once you get addicted to having a smart watch they are counting on you buying a new one every 2-5yrs. They're consumable. You're paying more for the convenience and the services the watch is providing you than you are for the physical thing itself because when you're done with it, that physical thing is not valuable.

Non-smart watches are more like assets rather than consumables. Especially when you're talking about buying used/vintage rather than new stuff. Sure, they also provide a service of telling time, perhaps making you look stylish when dressed up for an event, and most importantly, put a smile on your face because you just like it. The physical thing itself has intrinsic value WAY above it's value attributed to it's ability to tell time. In fact, most of these watches probably tell time worse than a $10 Casio.

You can buy a new smartwatch every 5yrs and after a decade you spent $1000 on watches which are now basically worthless. If you spent $1000 on vintage watches you'll likely have ~$1000 worth of vintage watches in a decade - heck, they could even appreciate in value if you're lucky.

I tend to be very cautious about buying things I know I can't get my money back for later and don't care as much about spending money on things that won't lose their value or as much of their value when I'm done with it. I figure I'm gonna have that cash sitting in a savings/investment account anyway so why not have a little "cash" sitting in assets which make me happy (e.g. cars & watches).

16. Jan 19, 2023 at 2:42 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    If I spent $1000 on a vintage watch I'd have a broken vintage watch within a year lol.

To me, and like someone else said, a watch is a tool and I replace tools as they get worn down.

I've seen some expensive watches and thought they looked nice. But it's like a diamond vs a cubic zirconia. Most people can't tell the difference. Both do the same thing. One just costs a hell of a lot more.

But to each their own. If you got a bunch of cash to throw around on watches more power to ya. I'm not hating, just always curious.

koditten likes this.
  17. Jan 19, 2023 at 3:28 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Unfortunately, people that can afford these kind of watches. They are also very good with money.
    So you have to weigh the difference between putting that money in the bank( investment) or putting it in a physical item. It's tough to make up your mind. Throw a bit of history in there and it even makes it worse.

How do you recoup that investment? I'm not sure. Are your hiers going to want a valuable watch, or are they going to want the cash?

In my case, there are too many veribleses. Investing in a great watch is money pissed away. No one in my fam cares about a watch that should be considered art .

You will be the only one that appreciates that watch.

I can spot a beautiful watch across a room, but no one else can. In fact, I've commented on strangers watches on how nice they are. I've gotten a few drinks bought because of that reason.

Tldr:. Peeps that appreciate nice watches are rare. They love that you can recognize quality and will thank you

18. Jan 19, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Totally. I presented more of a black/white comparison in my post but completely realize there's a lot of grey area. Some watches are more of a tool and others are more like jewelry. I've got a $12 watch I wear as a beater, a $200 watch which is my everyday watch and eventually I'd love to pick up some higher end ones I can use for more special occasion type situations.

Doesn't have to matter to your family, it can still have value. Don't forget, YOU can actually sell your stuff too, you don't have to wait to die and then dump it on family. There are huge classified networks out there (e.g. Watchuseek). I don't plan to buy any watches new, there are too many good deals out there on used watches (used doesn't mean worn down or damaged). You can easily buy something used, use it for a while, sell it for roundabout what you paid for it, then buy something new if your tastes change or just pocket the money and put it into something else you enjoy or invest it or whatever floats your boat.

Who knows what will actually happen, but my mentality is that I plan to try and liquidate pretty much everything of value before I die so that my relatives don't have to deal with any of it. It's all stuff I enjoy, not them. I've seen too many family members burdened with all the "stuff" leftover from their dead loved ones.

907rx7 and koditten[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Jan 19, 2023 at 4:30 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    I agree... Mostly . I want to own and appreciate looking at that art/watch as long as I can. Unfortunately the end comes up fast and you have zero time to sell and enjoy that investment.

Going back to peeps that understand money. Watches are not the best investments.

If you got the extra cash and enjoy your watch collection, go for it. Making money on your investment should not be your sole reason to having a nice watch.

20. Jan 19, 2023 at 4:59 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. I never said they were an investment. My point was not that it's about making money. My point is that compared to a smartwatch you're not likely to lose as much. And if you do it right you might not lose any at all.

koditten[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top