1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

water in oil

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fasttalker372, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mar 16, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    fasttalker372

fasttalker372 [OP] Member

Member:
    macungie, pa
    Vehicle:
    05 biscaine
    Hi,
    This is such a great website. I have a 2005 tacoma 4 cylinder that appears to have some water in the oil. It showed up last night when I checked it. I drove it some this morning because I had to and it looks like it's not as bad. My first thought is a blown head gasket. Would that happen to this motor? It has 80K on it and it has been trouble free. It runs fine and hasn't overheated.

Is there anything I could add to the coolant?

Also, about 4500 mile ago, I switched to mobile 1 synthetic motor oil. Could that have caused this?

Also, I went to the car wash and washed the engine compartment lightly a couple days ago. I didn't spray the engine that I know of, but of course now I'm afraid that I cracked the block.
    thanks,
    chet

thanks,
    chet

2. Mar 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Change that oil ASAP and then I'd check it after every short drive. If you see water in the oil again you're gonna have to get it fixed.

3. Mar 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    fasttalker372

Member:
    macungie, pa
    Vehicle:
    05 biscaine
    There was a tiny little bit of creamy oil on the dipstick, but most of it looked normal. It was mostly on the upper part of the stick-- about halfway to the handle and a tiny bit on the tip. I guess it's enough that I noticed something different.
    I'll change the oil tomorrow and keep an eye on it.
    thanks

4. Mar 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    climb under the truck and loosen the oil drain plug just enough so that either water or oil drips out slowly. if theres coolant getting into the oil you will know cause oil is lighter than water so the coolant will settle at the bottom of the motor. you should let it sit overnight before doing this. i had this happen on my wifes 99 tahoe. turned out to be that the intake was loose and it was leaking coolant into the oil. in your case it could just be condensation.IMHO

5. Mar 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

x2

Check your radiator overflow to see if there is oil in the coolant as well.

6. Mar 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers
    Sounds like condensation.....if it was a blown head gasket, the whole dip stick would look like you dipped it in chocolate milk.

Are you checking it after a short drive or after it is completely warmed up (at least 20 minutes of driving). If it is not fully warm and driven a while, there will still be condensation in the oil...:)

7. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you due for an oil change?

Check the oil itself either by changing the oil or draining a bit off so you can see the OIL (and not a dipstick or residue). That'll be the true test...
    If there's water in the oil, the oil will be milky & frothy (sp?).

8. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    gdctaco

gdctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    georgetown, ont
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab 4x4 O/R
    rr diff mod in-cab 110
    if your oil level is rising your leaking coolant into your oil (making oil).

9. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Marazzito

Marazzito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Exhaust, AFE Cold Air Intake, URD Short Shifter, OME 886 HD Lift OME Rear Springs With XL... TRD Supercharger Coming Soon.
    I would be willing to bet it is your Mobile 1 oil. Some synthetics leave condinsation. More likely than not, nothing to worry about.

10. Mar 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    gdctaco

gdctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    georgetown, ont
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab 4x4 O/R
    rr diff mod in-cab 110
    i run mobil 1 and have noticed this, but i put lucas oil in the rear diff and had shit floating around I looked it up it was the lubricants and detergents so its been in there for about 40000kms with no problems. could be something along those lines.

11. Mar 17, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    fasttalker372

Member:
    macungie, pa
    Vehicle:
    05 biscaine
    Thanks everyone! I let it sit overnight and unscrewed the drain plug enough to get about a 1/4 cup of oil and there was no sign of water, not even a spec. Great idea dirthawker1313. The coolant resevoir is nice and clean also.

My theory is, of course, the Mobile1 and condensation that is building the the dipstick tube and each time I check the oil, the stick is dragging through the muck and making the oil look bad.

Would it be bad to switch back to conventional oil? I've only been using the synthetic for the last oil change... about 4500 miles ago.

thanks
    chet:):):):)
    Toyota's rock!

12. Mar 17, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Ugh....sometimes I wonder where people come up with this stuff.:mad:

First - Mobil 1 DOES NOT create condenstaion in the oil....NO oil does.

Second - Mobil 1 is a GREAT oil and I have used it for over 15 years and swear by it so no need to change.

What happens with any engine is when your car sits overnight or for an extended period of time where there may be temperature changes.....like it's warm during the day and cold at night, condensation may form in the engine. After you start your car and it's been running 20 minutes or so all of that condensation evaporates via the crankcase breather or PCV valve. This is why it is considered "severe duty" if you only drive your vehicle for short periods.

Bottom line, your truck is fine and just drive it! :D

13. Mar 17, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    if your worried about the condensation you can put some SEA FOAM in the crank case. that will help keep it "dry".

14. Mar 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    LOL, thats a very good point Secret Squirrel -some people here really need to think about what kind of advice they are giving before they give it :D

Products Discussed in

To Top