1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water leaking into cab from under dash

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by climbontherocks, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    climbontherocks

climbontherocks [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 3.4 L V6
    It rained hard last night. My truck is now leaking from under the dash onto the passenger floor... Every time I take a left turn water pours out onto the floor. It's collecting somewhere up behind the dash. I looked all around the hood and inside the engine compartment on that side and everything looks snug. If the air conditioner is running or even just the fan it sounds like water is being poured onto a hot iron, but I don't see any steam. :confused:

wiliiam J domery likes this.
  2. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Its probably a plugged ac drain, or leaky windsheild. Most likely the ac drain, though.

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    jrukus

jrukus jason r

Member:
    queen charlotte islands
    Vehicle:
    black '08 trd tacoma
    285/70/17r tires on stock rims, sirius radio
    I have a 2008 Tacoma and it has been leaking onto the passenger side floor too, not sure where it's coming from, but it mostly seems to happen when it is raining. Does this happen to anyone else's tacomas? I do have a crack in the windshield but the dash is never wet, just the underside of the glove box and the floor and mat. thanks

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    newskooler

newskooler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    1997 ext cab base, 2012 Base Access cab, 2018 trd OR
    Mall Crawler
    X2

5. Feb 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    x3

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    climbontherocks

climbontherocks [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 3.4 L V6
    The answer to my leaking was a plugged AC drain. I opened the hood, and on the passenger side saw the drain coming out of the cab. I pulled off the curved drain tube and inserted a zip tie (square end first) and pulled it out with a bunch of gunk on it. I did that a few times and I haven't had a problem since. Thank you everyone!

raco.the.taco likes this.
  7. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Glad it was something cheap and easy!

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    jwicker

jwicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lunar Mist Double Cab 4x4
    ARB shell
    Just adding my water in side the truck experience in case it helps someone:

My (previous) 04 Xtra cab accumulated water in the front passenger floorboard and the rear passenger floor under the jump seats.

Turns out it was the plastic behind the door panel that is supposed to keep water from running down the outside of the window glass, into the bottom of the door and into the truck.
    It was coming thru a small area where the plastic had come loose from the inner door skin and running over the door sill into the cab.

Here is my original write up - just to keep it alive.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/26894-water-leak.html

Thx
    Jon

9. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    jchavez915

jchavez915 New Member

Member:
    I got the same leak under my dash passenger side... having dome difficulty removing a/c drain pipe... any tips? Thanks.

10. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    jchavez915

jchavez915 New Member

Member:
    I have the same leak under the dash on the passenger side. I did locate the a/c drain pipe but I'm having difficulty removing it.... any tips? Thanks

11. May 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    m&m1951

m&m1951 Member

Member:
    west virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012, reg.cab,4x4, auto
    After some thorough testing, I found my leak was coming in from the very upper right hand corner where the fire wall, side kick panel, and fender wheel all come together. Hard to get your finger up in this area, but it was dripping straight down onto a piece of rubber against the floor under the dash, then onto the carpet and pooling on the floor. This was on the passenger side. I narrowed down the area by using a spray bottle and only spraying small areas. When I sprayed the bottom corner of the windshield and the very end of the top cowl area, I got the leak inside. So I knew the general area of the leak. I had my local MrT remove the fender. They sprayed soapy water all around the outside on top of the fender well, then blew air from inside up in the corner. Immediately had bubbles form at the side cowl where it overlaps the fender well. The TSB BO026-00 Revised has a diagram where this seam is. The diagram isn't the best pic, but once the fender is off, it makes more sense. There was some sealant on this this seam, but had apparently broken loose or deteriorated. They resealed this seam and tried the air again. No bubbles. I only wish I had taken my camera to post some pics.

tacoburrito likes this.
  12. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Is this an on going problem with the 2nd gen tacomas? I have only owned my 2011 for four months. Havened had much rain here in Az. I have not noticed this. Dont know if its somthing that I need to worry about .

13. Mar 6, 2017 at 5:22 PM
    tacoburrito

tacoburrito Well-Known Member

Member:
    boston
    Vehicle:
    2013 regular cab
    5100s. eibach coils. 285/75/16 km2s. leer cap
    anyone with 13 or newer have this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing and its caused my dash lights to blink while the left turn signal is on and also the lights on dash dim while i have the brake engaged. as soon as i release the brake or turn the left blinker off everything returns to normal.

14. Jul 15, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    Ryanstacoma

Ryanstacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Steamboat springs
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD short bed
    OME Suspension with Dakar Springs. Dually Ditch lights Knock off ARB 9.5in round LED lights NFab Light bar mount 285/75/16 on stock wheels w/spacers

I just noticed this as well on my 2013 after I went through the car wash. I live in northern colorado so we don't see much rain but need to sort this out before the snow flies. Should be noted that I do have ditch lights mounted using Rago Fab mounts. I did have to trim the cowl under the windshield wipers. Upon inspection I noticed there is a hole in the steel under the cowl about the size of a nickel. Could this be my issue? This is a hole that appears to be from the factory. Any insight would be appreciated. I am going to give the AC drain a try here soon. Thanks!

15. Jul 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Pachacuti

Pachacuti Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 TRD SuperCharger
    MT wheels Running Boards Lifts
    Super easy fix! 2003 taco was leaking water on both passenger and driver side with sizzling noise when turning either left or right with AC running. Pulled the metal drain tube out of he AC drain rubber grommet gizmo and water flooded out ... blew the little tube out and replaced it. Thank you for all the good information.

16. Jul 30, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    I think my leak is the pinch weld problem, which is a little more involved.

17. Jul 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    dira1987

dira1987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 LT Prerunner
    Metal.
    what was the size of the tube that you replaced? I am missing that exit tube altogether and i am struggling to find the dimensions for it.

18. Sep 16, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    ToyotaRoamer86

ToyotaRoamer86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Frisco, CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thinking my lady friends tacoma is leaking at the pinch seam too. She has a 2013, leaking at the lower drivers corner. Fuse box is usually wet and carpet soaked. Hopefully it will just take some RIGHT STUFF and seal it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top