1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water on the cab floor

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jetwrench, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Jul 31, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    My 04 is getting water into the passenger side floor and soaking the carpet. I've checked the evaporator drain for leaks, and the heater core shouldn't be the problem since the leak is not antifreeze. I've been under the truck looking for an obvious entry point with no luck. All signs lead to rain water finding it's way in from above or below, but it's not proving easy to find where. Anyone out there run into this problem? Any suggestions before I decide to gut this thing would be appreciated.

2. Jul 31, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    Mootsman

Mootsman Active Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    3" Fabtech Lift
    Reseal the windshield with black silicon. Often they begin to leak and it works its way down behind the dash. You may be able to see if it looks worn or cracked.

3. Jul 31, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    Beej222

Beej222 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 xtra-cab 4x4 trd
    S/C, 3in lift, 32x11.5 on 15x8
    i had a similar problem before. the water used to leak though the firewall where i ran my amp wire. to solve the problem i just put a rubber seal around it.

4. Jul 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    +1 on the windsheild. Check it "GOOD"....!

5. Jul 31, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    KAPendley

KAPendley Best Hack I Know

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Shaved, Lowered,Airbrushed (some)
    Parts stores also sell a very thin transparent silicone just for that purpose. It will run down into very small holes and cracks (in seam sealer even) and stop leaks. If its a viable option, I would pull the kick panels and the carpet from that area, and have someone with low pressure water pour it on your truck while you observe it to try and find the leak and its location.

6. Aug 1, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    Took the cowl, kick panel and carpet out, then ran a garden hose in the area several times. The windshield is not the source. I did several tests to be sure of that. It appears there is a seam inboard of the fender that is the problem. I can see a steady stream of water running down the front inside of the cab about an inch in from the right side but can't see far enough up past the junk under the dash to pin point it. A dealer should be taking care of this, I think.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Dabates

Dabates Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guelph, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Have you been able to determine the source of the leak yet? I'm having a similar problem with my 2001. My truck was recently in for a frame underspray and I assumed that Toyota must have inadvertantly plugged a drain. Mine is dripping on the passenger side in a similar location but only in a really heavy rain...

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    Took it to the dealer, and then was informed there was a service bulletin written in 2000 for this very problem. It's a seam leak issue down inside the cowl area. I was told that the fender, wiper motor and other parts had to come off for access and seam sealer was the fix. There is a 3yr, 36,000m limit on warranty coverage so I was out of luck. If I had known about the SB I would have kept an eye out for this problem. Who knows when it actually started before I found it. They performed the repair, but it has not rained since I got the truck back so I'll have to wait to see if it has been resolved.

They did find my water pump leaking which was covered under my extended warranty.

9. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    Dabates

Dabates Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guelph, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Any idea how many hours of labour you were in for on that fix? I have approximately 100k on mine so there's no way I'll be able to slide in under warranty. The truck goes in next week for a timing belt and water pump so maybe I'll get them to look into it for me, I really hope it's a plugged drainage hole...

10. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    A few hours of labor. I dropped it off in the morning, left it overnight and it was ready the next morning. IMO, get it done and stop the leak. If it comes back or isn't fixed the first time, you'll have proof in hand that I assume would negate more cost to you for more work.

FYI: cost of repair was $377

To Top