1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water Outlet Leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Thundersocks, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    Thundersocks

Thundersocks [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    '95 2.4 2WD
    My engine seems to have a coolant leak from the Water outlet (I think that's the right name for it?) where the top radiator hose attaches to the engine. It's a drip-drip kind of leak that only happens intermittently, but enough that I have to put in about a quart once a week. From what I can see, it looks like it's leaking out of the hose, so, I bought a new hose and new clamps (screw type clamps) and installed them, and the leak is still there. The system got rust in the radiatora while ago, which I've replaced, and flushed twice, quite a bit of rust was on the outside of the water outlet, so I wiped off the loose stuff and then carefully filed off as much as I could, down to the metal, there's still a small amount of debris but it's down to the actual metal. So, after I did that and double-checked to make sure the hose was on right, it still leaks. So, I guess I have two options:

1. Get a sealer to put on the outlet to seal the hose better to the connection. The only problem I have with this is that, if it doesn't fix it, won't it basically glue the hose to the outlet, so I have to replace both again if it doesn't work? Annoying if it doesn't work because it's a brand new hose. Any recommendations for a good sealer?
    2. Buy a new water outlet, about $45 at Autozone, which also comes with a new gasket. I'm leary about this because I'm not sure if I can do it myself...the distributor is partially in the way and i'm not sure i'm comfortable with removing that myself...so i might have to go to a mechanic to get it done. Unless it's easier than I think? Anyone done this?

What do you guys think?

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Is the outlet from the radiator cap? I could be bad and relieving itself at too low a temp.

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    Thundersocks

Thundersocks [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    '95 2.4 2WD
    I'm not sure if I know what you mean? But I don't think so because it's separate from the radiator cap and at a different part of the engine, it's the part right where the hose goes into the engine. Are you talking about the top of the radiator? My radiator cap has an outlet with a small hose going to the overflow tank, is that what you're referring to? It's under and close to the distributor, and right above what I think is the A/C compressor.

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Thundersocks

Thundersocks [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    '95 2.4 2WD
    Gonna fix this weekend; bumping for tips

5. Feb 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    OP - Any resolution to your problem?

I was changing my hoses for the same exact problem. 1st picture is of the build up on the upper hose outlet. 2nd picture is of the lower hose fitting... nice and pretty.

Anyone else - Should I replace this or any recommendations on how to clean it?

photo-1.jpg
    photo.jpg

6. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Sorry for the quick bump... in the middle of a job so hoping to get some feedback! Thanks.

7. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    bump... any recs to replacing the water outlet or getting rid of the build up on it? see pictures above.

8. Feb 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    Make sure there isn't a crack in the metal inlet where the hose connects to the motor... If all is good there, use a very light amount of lubricant, not a sealant, to lubricate the hose so it will slide all the way on, then make sure to use a good ring clamp that will tighten with a screw and make sure it's tightened good. Just a pinch clamp is not sufficient to hold it IMO.

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Thundersocks

Thundersocks [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    '95 2.4 2WD
    Hi sorry for the delay, haven't had internet for several days. Yes I was able to fix it. I bought some RTV and used it on the outlet to seal it. The water outlet still had some build up and rust stuck to it, so I sanded and filed it off till all I could see was bare grey metal, then used a thick bead of the RTV on it, and put the hose back on. The outlet still seemed in pretty solid condition, but it had some light pitting in it, which I assume was from the rust, and I think that's what was preventing a good seal with the hose, and thus the leak I had. I guess the other option would be to just finally replace the outlet...but since it's about $50 for the part, this should hold for now. Also it looks like I might have to remove the distributor to replace the outlet, which I'm not so confident about doing (mine is the 4 cylinder). I'm guessing it may ruin the hose when I do have to finally remove it, but it's a new hose and I'm hoping it'll be a while before I have to replace it. I've had it this way for about a month and no new leaks so far. Hope that helps and hope it went ok for you!

Scotrinaf: That sounds like a good idea, I wish I'd thought of that first, might have been a good thing to try before sealing it permanently, oh well, thanks for the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top