1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water Storage - Rear Fender Well

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Codolten, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Jun 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    Codolten

Codolten [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colten
    Orangevale, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Hey everyone!!

I’ve been trying to come up with a way to store water that won’t take up any mounting space in the bed or on the rack. Ive seen mention of people mounting water tanks in their rear fender wells, but I haven’t seen any examples. I’m very interested to see if anyone can provide an example?

I’m also installing a decked system in my rig. I’ve been kind of brainstorming and have come across this post: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...or-the-2005-current-toyota-tacoma-obw.453005/
    I’m thinking I may be able to pair this system with the “ammo can” storage spaces that the decked system has on either side. Im thinking those “ammo can” spots would also align with the bed compartments, which rest over the top of the fender wells, which would provide an incredibly convenient route for hosing and plenty of space for mounting the pump.

My goal with this post is to get feedback on why this may/may not work, and what suggestions you all may have for making this work. Thanks for the read!

Ps - I’ll update with some pictures of the specific areas I’m talking about when I can.

Alexely999 likes this.
  2. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    Codolten

Member:
    First Name:
    Colten
    Orangevale, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    7E6A57CA-4140-46E2-B341-8D20FFD739CA.jpg 9076E7CB-884F-4C84-8A5A-5A587A1709EA.jpg So the first picture is the area I’m thinking of in that fender well. The second is a tank that seems like it may work. It’s a 10 gallon tank. I believe I could also mount a spare battery in the opposite fender well to operate the pump. I’ve seen a whole bunch of people selling battery racks but this is really the first time I’ve considered mounting outside of the engine bay. It would help balance weight a bit more instead of hanging 60+ lbs of water on one side.

Still open to advice and comments.

3. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    mikalcarbine

mikalcarbine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OR
    Very curious about this as well. I did a bunch of research a few months back on this and kind of fizzled off. I'll try to pull some of the info I saved and post it if I have any luck finding it

Ol'gray mare and Codolten[OP] like this.
  4. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    Codolten

Member:
    First Name:
    Colten
    Orangevale, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    It’s so interesting that so many people acknowledge the wasted space there and have all sorts of uses, but somehow water isn’t one of them.

Ol'gray mare likes this.
  5. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    I'm interested to see what responses you get, I haven't seen any sort of under bed water storage tanks before. I was just recently wondering about a water solution myself and brainstorming ideas. So far the most interesting thing I found was 15-25 gallon "sprayer tanks" used for fertilizer, pesticides...etc and often mounted to something like an ATV. Of course for my application I was going to mount it in the bed, up next to the cab for good weight distribution. It'd work great with that pump setup you linked to.
    https://www.sprayerdepot.com/collections/tanks#/filter:product_type:Tanks

I stumbled on this first and it got me going down a sprayer tank rabbit hole:

BTW, I grew up in Paradise, still have friends in Chico - may actually be up that way in a month or so to visit.

Codolten[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Kilo Charlie

Kilo Charlie I have lost my way

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Off Road
    A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds so that means nearly 84 pounds on a 10 gallon tank plus the weight of the mounting bracket etc. Just something to ponder.

Ol'gray mare and boogie3478 like this.
  7. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    mikalcarbine

mikalcarbine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OR
    I think that's why putting it on the passenger side would be key and could balance out the taco lean from the 20 gallon fuel tank

8. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Codolten

Member:
    First Name:
    Colten
    Orangevale, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    I saw some people make mention of this type of tank as well. I just can’t bring myself to put something so ugly on the truck hahahaha. It would be a great fit with that pump system though…I think I even saw someone saying they could fit a mid sized sprayer like this https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Spot-Sprayer-Gallon/dp/B00XYOBTSG in the spare tire well but I don’t want to mount the tire elsewhere.

I expect the full system when full will weigh something like 100 lbs. I don’t think I’ll leave the tank filled most of the time, but it’s so inconvenient to be loading water in the truck when I go camping. We usually are 3 deep plus two dogs. They say a gallon/person/day right? 10 gallons would probably get us 3 days. Any less than that and it’s hard to feel like it’ll be worth it…

Kilo Charlie[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 28, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    Codolten

Member:
    First Name:
    Colten
    Orangevale, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Good point. Very good point.
    This is the kind of feedback I’m looking for lol