1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waterproof Fuse and Relay Boxes - RFRM (10 relay) & RTMR (5 Relay) no Blue Sea/ SPOD

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by skygear, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 8, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 base ac 2.7 5-speed 4x4
    I'm in the same boat. Paid Feb 1 and never got a single bit of correspondence. I asked for a refund via email, post and pm and still got nothing. At this point I'm just assuming my money is gone. He may send me a box eventually but by then I'll have an SPOD unit and just sell my skygear box on the forum. I've got no hard feelings but it is frustrating.

jc1980 likes this.
  2. May 8, 2015 at 12:55 PM
    tacozord

tacozord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Icon suspension, ARB front bumper, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Warn 9.5-XP winch, Demello Offroad sliders
    Have you guys thought about building one yourself?

3. May 8, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    I have thought of it. You can buy the empty box for around $30, but the main reason I was interested in a sky box was that I'm not very proficient at automotive wiring. Hooking up and using this box was supposed to be pretty simple. From what I understood the smaller box had 20 wires coming out of it. 10 heavier gauge wires to go to your accessories and 10 lighter gauge wires you run in the cab to switches. That appealed to me, so I popped on a box assuming I'd have it in 2 weeks tops. I still do like the skybox, but if he is unable to fill orders what can I do beside humbly ask for a refund and look elsewhere.

jc1980 likes this.
  4. May 8, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I built mine (well its almost done just waiting on the right relays (my dumbass ordered the wrong ones). In total it cost me right at 100 bucks for all the parts. Plus the crimper tool which was like 20 bucks. Plus i had to buy the wire (which i would have done anyways) so i think i spent 150 total. Could have done it cheaper but i wanted the weatherpack connectors in the engine compartment so that added some cost.

Building it actually wasnt that hard. Did a few screw ups but thats to be expected for a first timer lol.

With that said the skybox is a great product and well worth it. I only posted to give those who think of building their own an idea of cost of building vs buying

5. May 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    How did you wire up your weatherpacks? Do power wires go directly from accessories to the weatherpack? I thought of doing something like that with those connectors.

Say you have 3 aux light sources on your truck, like a roof top light bar, fogs on the front bumper, and reverse lights. I was thinking you could run the power wire from each light to a 3 terminal weatherpack, which would in turn, of course, plug into the corresponding weatherpack plug at the fuse box. In this example all 3 supplies from the fuse box would probably be from a relay versus just a fuse, but you could mix and match your supplies from the fuse box into a multi pin weatherpack, right?

So in my example above, disconnecting a single weatherpack plug would disable all my aux lighting.

I like this method, if I am comprehending it correctly, the only problem is that you'd have to have a pretty solid plan before hand. For instance if you wanted to add one more set of lights, you'd either have to wire it up separate from the other weatherpack or chop off the 3 pin and rewire with a 4 pin.

Or maybe better yet, wire the 5 relay supplies to a 5 pin weatherpack and the 5 fuse only supplies to another 5 pin weatherpack you can leave unused terminals on the weatherpack plugged, waiting for future expansion... that seems to make sense...

Maybe I can wire my own box.........

6. May 8, 2015 at 3:21 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Pretty soon I'm gonna be asking questions about which crimpers to buy and what gauge wire to use!

7. May 9, 2015 at 5:12 AM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

I did not use actual weatherpack connectors. I used these ones (this is just one end of it) http://www.waytekwire.com/item/38063/Metri-Pack-280-Series-Female/

It works more or less the same way though.

As for how i wired it all up...i did pretty much what you mention. Though I used "2" pin terminals cause there was a minimum order. Buying 10 "5" pin ones was a bit excessive and i couldnt find them elsewhere for a good price. But i basically did what you mention. I have the "to switches" off the relay in 3 connectors. The fuse only side has 2 of the connectors. The fifth fused only i put in the same connector as the 1 extra fused terminal.

For the crimper i used this one
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9L1HEG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its nothing fancy but it works and it a lot cheaper than any other one i could find.

As for doing it yourself....figuring out how to do the connections was the hardest part for me. But order some extra connectors and practice a bit first and it works just fine :) Mine isnt as "pretty" as Sky's but for the first one i ever did im happy.

8. May 9, 2015 at 7:12 AM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm... doing it in pairs is a pretty good idea. Maybe each 2 pin plug would have the one wire for the switch and the one wire for power. That way each accessory is connected to the fuse box and switch with its own plug. Nice idea! Can you mix wire gauges in the same plug? That is, in one 2 pin connector you have one 12 gauge wire (for power) and one 18 gauge wire (for switch).

9. May 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
  10. May 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM
    jc1980

jc1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    MGM 4x4 TRD Off-Road (Extra Value Package II)
    See build link in signature or public profile.
    @skygear
    Can I get the status of my order?
    Payment was sent on 12/27/14.

11. May 9, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    bridaw

bridaw The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    I subscribed to this thread months ago because the skygear box seemed the way to go vs the SPOD. After reading EVERY post on every page to learn about the product and the options available I decided against it due to all the drama and poor communication. I purchased the Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel from Nathan instead.

Just another option for you guys tired of waiting on a skygear box. The NSA switch panel is remote controlled so it solved the problem of not having anywhere in my cab I was willing to cut up to install switches. All my wiring will be under the hood and nothing in the cab but a remote control. I received my box fast and Nathan responds to questions fast. win win.

jc1980, HomerTaco and SMKYTXN like this.
  12. May 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    I'm an outsider; take my contribution at face value - but this seems to be taking a similar direction as the GB on lockers that was being organized on here, T4R and Expo. No update, prices promised by a certain date, guys waiting for an update, yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah...

All that I'll say is that those of you left waiting have immense amounts of patience and civility. I'd have been way past the point of still pleading for an update at this point if I was out the money. Of course, the fan boys will chime in and defend the OP; but seriously - get real.
    There's always the excuse that "life must be getting in the way"... I get it. There's a clear difference between being anal retentive about demanding an update, and being sympathetic... Just as I'd expect from someone that I'm doing any business with - or is doing business with me - communication is a key factor. It's only right.

How much fucking effort is it to shoot off a short message with an update? Take the the time that you spend on the shitter, grab your phone - and send off some emails!

I hope it works out for those of you that are still out the money.

Haslefre likes this.
  13. May 9, 2015 at 9:42 PM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    You cant mix wire gauges really. The connectors are made for certain gauges of wire. So you buy one that fits 12-14awg or 14-16awg ect. I just bought 100ft rolls some different color wires so used all 14 gauge.

As for the to switch and to ACC in the same connector. That would work. I just wanted all my "to switches" to be run in the same run of wire so just made one "loom" for them. My to ACC kind of go all over (some in cab some in engine bay) so figured i'd just wire those depending where they go.

I have the 15303-2. So one side has a bus for all 10 fuses. The other side you use that bus for the ground. You need to use the four pin micro relays and you put them in "upside down" in relationship to the bussmann logo. That lets the ground pin of the relay match up with the bus.

You dont need ot make any daisy chains for the bussmann. You just run a small jumper from the fused side to the relay pin 30 (i think i always forget lol). So you end up with 5 fuse spots being used on relays and then just have 5 just fused spots.

Im not an expert but so far this is how i have it and its been working. But we are getting off topic on this thread so feel free to pm and ill help if i can

14. May 10, 2015 at 4:38 AM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Right on, thanks man.

15. May 10, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    FABRICK8

FABRICK8 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    14 Pyrite DCLB Sport
    I would love to have Skygear build me one of these with all the bells and whistles, but if I want it within a few months it looks like I'll need to go a different route. :(

16. May 10, 2015 at 12:14 PM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    Has anyone tried installing Carling switches with the switchbacks into the sunglasses holder? Seems like the depth of the switch is about 2", and the sunglasses holder is about the same... Might just have to go with crimp terminals to make it fit.

17. May 10, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Last I saw someone put switches up there without the backs it was a tight fit.

18. May 10, 2015 at 12:53 PM
    Scenekyd

Scenekyd Not much of a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Hendersonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-250, 2016 4runner Trail
    Tim, I think @EddyRRT did it. I know his switches are up top don't know where though.

19. May 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I'm thinking BGR or Lurry. Eddy said he wanted me to help put his new switch up there.

20. May 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

SOS CONCEPTS Bumper builder

Member:
    First Name:
    SOS
    Laurens SC
    Vehicle:
    17 sos buggy, 09 taco(in pieces), 14ram 3500
    Rock bouncer
    Well the tag works. I got mine up there. But Cap installed it.
    I need one of the these blocks BTW
    6b12c5182cd20d4f9f6f0dbdcbb5dd8d_b4057e66720c3581747b8aae242f89384ebc3f2c.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top