1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waterproof Solar Battery Tender/Trickle Charger?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WestCoastBestCoast, May 19, 2024.

1. May 19, 2024 at 5:43 PM
    WestCoastBestCoast

WestCoastBestCoast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyn
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB TRD 6MT 4x4
    I recently got transferred for work and had to purchase a car with better MPGs for the commute, as it is cheaper than filling my truck up twice a week.

My 05 Tacoma unfortunately will go maybe 2-3 weeks without being driven, and as such the battery doesn’t have enough charge to start the truck after all those weeks.

I’m looking to pick up a solar battery trickle charger as I have no exterior outlets at home, so there’s no way to plug in a conventional trickle charger to run to the truck in the driveway.
    Has anyone else used a solar trickle charger to keep the battery in good condition? I’m not looking to do a whole $1000 solar install on the truck, just looking for something plug and play to keep the battery topped off. I see quite a few options on Amazon, but am always skeptical of solar products on Amazon actually performing as intended.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GilbertOz likes this.
  2. May 19, 2024 at 7:57 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OG68Q4?ie=UTF8

This one I keep in my work truck. It’s NOT waterproof so I plug it in and leave it on the dash. Also, it has to be plugged into an always on plug. So if you turn the key off and don’t have power in that cigarette lighter port, it won’t work.

One of my work trucks got totaled, the battery had a big hole in it. With the solar charger connected, it put out enough to charge my phone and tool batteries. It says 1.8 amps, not a chance. I measured it years ago, it was less than .5 amp. There’s bigger better ones available but as they get bigger, the price goes up.

A different option would be a good jumper pack. My noco gb70 has never let me down. I also have a capacitor type with no internal battery. It’s finicky but when it works it’s very strong.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PW...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084L4LBS2?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Another option would be to disconnect the battery during the downtime.

Musubi3 likes this.
  3. May 20, 2024 at 8:20 AM
    WestCoastBestCoast

WestCoastBestCoast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyn
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB TRD 6MT 4x4
    Thanks for the advice! I unfortunately only have switched cig ports, so if I go that route I'd need to install an always on one.
    I'm not too keen on disconnecting the battery, mainly because of the "relearning" the truck would need to do after reconnecting the battery. But I'll keep that as a backup option.

4. May 20, 2024 at 4:01 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    The sunforce came with the cigarette port and clamps to connect directly to the battery.

It has a tiny blue led that flashes when it’s charging. Even parked under a street light is enough to make it flash.

When I didn’t have it connected, after parking Friday night, Monday morning it would crank slow and often not want to start. With it connected, it always starts Monday morning.

To Top