1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wax on Bumper?????

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by qckslvr2234, Aug 28, 2012.

1. qckslvr2234

qckslvr2234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    5100's at 2.5, taco lean spacer, Wheelers 3 leaf aal, sway bar relocate, Nitto terra grapplers 285/70/17, spidertrax, custom fishing rod holder, afe drop in filter, 15% tint on front 35% on back, access original roll up cover, BHLM, LED's in cupholder, Plasti-dip badges
    This may be a dumb question but I am no pro when it comes to detailing.

Question is:

I have a radiant red sport and when I attempted to wax the front bumper it seemed like the color started to come off on the applicator pad. I stopped immediately and luckily it was a very small area in the corner.

So do you guys wax the front bumper and if so how?

Sorry for dumb question but thanks.

2. wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I wax my bumpers every time, never had a problem. Has your bumper ever been re painted?

3. qckslvr2234

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    5100's at 2.5, taco lean spacer, Wheelers 3 leaf aal, sway bar relocate, Nitto terra grapplers 285/70/17, spidertrax, custom fishing rod holder, afe drop in filter, 15% tint on front 35% on back, access original roll up cover, BHLM, LED's in cupholder, Plasti-dip badges
    No original when I bought it in 07. The paint is getting very dull and almost seems like there is no clear or something. I dont know.

4. schleygo

schleygo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ft Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab Radiant Red
    Alarm w auto start, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach Coils, 2" toytec AAL, LR UCAs, Pioneer3400BT,
    You are correct. Toyota did not paint the bumpers or the wheel well guards w clear. I have a radiant red I have the same issue. Best thing to do is keep wax on it.

I usually will wax my bumpers and wheel well guards once in between my regular waxing because of this. I always have a lil bit of red on the application pad when I do it.

5. qckslvr2234

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Ok, so it should not hurt it then. I was worried to wax the whole thing and at the same time just be taking the paint off.

I am using Mequiars Ultimate Liquid Wax so I guess I will just try to be as easy as possible.

6. Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Not 100% right... Toyota did (and still does) put clear coat on all of their painted surfaces. Only difference here is that radiant red is a single-stage paint, which oxidizes easily, and looks dull over time. And when you polish/wax it, you're going to get some red transfer. It is advisable to keep it waxed though! :)

As said above, the dullness is just oxidization of a single-stage paint. Take a mild polish to it, and it will bring back the shine. Then wax it, of course. There will be red paint on your polishing pad/cloth. Don't be afraid, as long as you're using a mild polish, you'll be fine.

7. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yup, technically, you are taking paint of, but it is a dead, oxidized layer that you don't want on the truck in the first place.

Just stick with the more gentle liquid cleaner/wax products like you are using and avoid any heavy cutting rubbing or polishing compounds.

8. foreman

foreman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota tacoma
    I really have good results with Turtle wax Ice. I pretty much us the detailer everytime I wash. I can do the intire truck in 10 minutes even the plastic parts with no white residue. Always use micrfiber towels if possible!!:cool:

9. jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 LUXURY YEAR
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Red oxidizes more quickly than almost any other color, you have to keep wax on it to keep it protected and looking fresh. Otherwise you will end up with pink over time.

To Top