1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

way is it that AC delco cost more?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by brelandt, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    brelandt

brelandt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    I am looking to invest in replacement parts on my truck because I'm at nearly 70K miles. Looking at belts and hoses, those sorts of things.
    Anyhow I do most of my shopping on Rockauto and it seems that AC Delco items are always the most expensive part, no matter which vehicle I am buying parts for.
    I no longer buy the least expensive items anymore. Spent most of my 20's buying cheap parts and it's bitten me in the ass a few times.
    So now I'm buying only the best I can afford. I usually go with the saying that the "price reflects the quality of the product" but, I know this isn't always true.
    To my question......why is it that AC Delco's prices are so high? Are they really that good? Or is it for other reasons? ;)

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    rdrnr

rdrnr Member

Member:
    I was thinking the same thing when I took the battery cover off my Acura and saw the Delco battery. It lasted 8 years in the Northeast so I say it is a good battery.

3. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    Quality.

4. Sep 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Is it really worth it? I don't mind spring for the dollars as long as it's "the best" that I can get. I'm just unsure that the cost was due to the name on the box. I sell shoes and I know when something is high because of the name and which shoes are really good and the most expensive is not always the best shoe. ;)

5. Sep 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    The Name!

6. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    It's just a name, quality is not always there despite the price. I personally prefer not to use AC Delco parts on my truck. What parts are you looking to get that are AC Delco?

7. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    well, the water pump on my truck is good but... I like to have old parts changed and the delco pump is well over a hundred dollars which is about 50% higher than the next highest priced pump. Just things like that you know? Preventive maintenance. I change parts before they go out not afterwards. :cool:

8. Sep 19, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp
    how does Toyota OEM compare in price?
    water pumps, belts and important things should be left to Toyota OEM only

9. Sep 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    OEM is AC delco. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

10. Sep 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    Ive heard from more than one person that AC Delco is closest to OEM as you can get, without buying OEM obviously.

11. Sep 19, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Taco2K10

Taco2K10 All OEM All Japanese All The Time!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 2.7 5spd 4x4 AC SR5
    3K HID Foglights, Husky Liner mats, Autoventshade Ventvisors and Bugdeflector, OE Toyota Class III Hitch and OE 4 Wire Trailer Harness,
    I sell aftermarket for a living, in some cases ac delco reboxes parts, from ngk and others....

12. Sep 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Yes, well seeing how the truck is built at a joint venture plant here in norcal with GM or at least until the NUMMI was closed there are a lot of A/C Delco things on my truck and I believe even the one electronic part that failed on my parents 2000 Avalon had A/C delco on it including the radio.
    But my friends all had Camaros back in the 90's and those cars where always broken! Alt, Starters, fuel pumps you name it if it had Delco on it it broke. Not sure if things have changed since then? but for me delco stands for broke parts.

13. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Well over $100? I'm about to buy an OEM water pump from Conicelli for $101.20 shipped. Costs $98.66 at other online Toyota dealers.

For GM. AC Delco is a division of GM.

14. Sep 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Boring

Boring This space unintentionally left blank.

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    5-lug regular cab
    yarp
    Something I learned from experience: Cheaper water pumps have stamped metal impellers and nicer ones have cast impellers. The cast impellers are much better at moving the water and keeping cavitation down. Just something to watch for. I have no idea what the Tacoma has from the factory.

15. Sep 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Seriously? I never noticed that before but then again I only worked on imports.

I would think it would be the other way around though. Not sure I ever noticed a cast impeller. I remember them as being stamped.

Products Discussed in

To Top