1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

We still prone to cat theft?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 07SpeedwaySport, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport [OP] Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    I have owned a few of the older Tacos and had a catconverter stolen once, sold my truck the next weekend as-is. My friend got his stolen once too, he went the aftermarket route and welded one in

I know it is a big problem here in Northern Virginia. I was in a commuter lot on a rainy Wednesday on the 'nice' side of town.

Are the 2005+ cats just as prone to theft? I havbe not gotten under to see how easy it is to saw out...and i don't know the 'street value' so I am not sure how prone they are....Anyone had one stolen?

2. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any vehicle that sits as high off the ground as Tacomas do is prone to cat converter theft.

Pretty easy to saw out. It's happened to a few members.

3. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Does insurance cover this? I'm guessing yes but would like to hear from someone with first hand experience.

4. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Yes. state farm offered to pay for it, but I have a 500.00 deductible. I went to BAP imports and installed it myself. I think the cat was like 300.00 or so. Mine was an 98. I have since bought an 08'. But it's an issue throughout the counry. Some areas worse than others.

Hope it doesn't happen to you. He was "kind" enough to unbolt mine and save me the Sawzall pain.

Azbackcountry

5. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport [OP] Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    Crapface sawed mine on the ole 96 taco I had. I had to get a front pipe, cat and midpipe. Sold the truck as is.

I know all cars that sit high off the ground are prone, but tacoma and 4runner had it the worst....i guess my question is, is it still the same?
    Should I drive my Passat to the metro lot when I need to?

6. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The cats are still pretty exposed on the '05+. You can "discourage" would-be thiefs with one of those covers available on the web, or install a full-coverage skid plate (like Budbuilt) in the transmission area with security bolts.

Products Discussed in

To Top