1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by STEVON, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    STEVON

STEVON [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    I recently backed into a tree at 2 mph and bumper and driver's side quarter panel collapsed. Why is the bumper so weak? I thought American cars had to sustain a 3mph impact with no damage? I bent the bumper back by hand, what a phony piece of tin! My 1987 Nissan 1 ton pickup bumped into things several times with no damage to the bed. I think there should be another class action lawsuit against Toyota for not putting a sticker on the bumper "Warning! Impact of this bumper over 1mph will cause $2500 dollars in damage" " "Use extreme caution when backing up" The accident pushed the gas cap off and now my check engine light is on.

Question: is there a normally strong aftermarket chrome bumper available to use after the quarter panel is fixed?

july 006 sm.jpg
    july 007 sm.jpg
    july 008 sm.jpg
    july 009 sm.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Aug 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Resident Otaku

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Long Bed V6 SR5
    Rain visors, Fog Light Anytime, Uniden 505xl CB Radio and 5 foot Firestick antenna, RTMR Fuse box, Mobtown Offroad Recovery Bar with 2" Receiver Tube
    i say screw an OEM replacment and go plate steel. wont ever have problems again.

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    Benson X

Benson X ...and we're back!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    Wow, that is surprising. I have smacked my OEM rear bumper on lotsa stuff off-road, and never kinked my quarter-panel.

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    STEVON

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    Soft Taco,

I have an SR5 package and want to maintain the look with chrome bumper. It pisses me off that Toyota is allowed to make such a weak tail gate (250lb max), A worthless bumper and no strength in the quarter panel what so ever. While I was repairing some previous damage I reinforced the crappy tailgate, see pictures

Tacoma Bed repair 005 sm.JPG
    Tail Gate Re-enforce.jpg
    Tail Gate Re-enforce 1.jpg
    Tail Gate Re-enforce 3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. Aug 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    STEVON

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    Well I finally got around to fixing the smashed quarter panel. With a come-a-long and some body hammers I beat the beer can steel back into place. This is a very expensive truck but poorly built. Sheet metal is too thin or at least it should have more carbon in the steel like GM did to make use of thinner material without sacrificing durability! Went to my local steel supplier and for $32 in material I started my rear bumper weakness solution. I do not want to go through this again. Tacoma = disposable truck? Not for farm use or construction work for sure. The steel I bought was made for trailer hitches already cut and available in 1 ft, 2 ft, etc. and some scrap pile cutoffs. Welded up the trailer hitch into a real reinforcement and hammered out the tin like bumper with standard body hammers! how's that for toughness! You can see the project photos at:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/29806/cat/500

Cheers,

Stephen
    July Steel Rr Bumper a.jpg
    July Body Work Rr Bumper i.jpg
    July Body Work Rr Bumper j.jpg
    July Body Work Rr Bumper Bdy Clearance f.jpg
    July Body Work Rr Bumper Undercoated.jpg
    July Tacoma No Tag.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. Aug 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    battlescars