1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wear Gouges on Spare Tire? Check Yours.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomtn, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    WolfSpring

WolfSpring Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tacoma Dual Cab 4X4
    I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to post something new after finding this search. If I need to make a new one let me know.

I just got a 2011 and was checking out the spare and teaching the wife how to lower it and have the same indentations and they look more like burns at first, but after reading this threat it makes sense.

My question is is this safe? Has anyone had any issues with a spare with these at all? My spare looks brand new, still has the spinys on it might be the factory one, in that case just as afraid as dry rot, had a 12 year old spare throw it's tread after being put into use. Didn't know a lot about cars, not saying I do now, but I like to be safe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick111 likes this.
  2. Jun 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Tires have a shelf life of 8 years. End of story. As for the little grooves in the spare. Hate to break it to everybody but 99.99 percent of under mounted spares have these. It's a spare. You blow a tire, loosen the lugs, if you can't get them loose get a real man to help you. Lower the spare tire through the ignorant proprietary means the manufacturer provides you with. Jack the truck, remove blown tire, put spare on vehicle. Start lugs by hand. Snug them up, lower vehicle. Tighten lugs, throw bad tire in bed of truck. Take garbage bottle jack and throw it in the ditch after 1.5 hours of cursing. Don't be one of hose guys that puts the blown tire back under the truck. Be nice to the guy at discount tire that has to replace the neglected tire that blew out.

Ruggybuggy likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    Rick111

Rick111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR 6M
    ARE Z series cap w/Bedrug
    There are two threads on this site discussing the same topic so I am posting my response on both. Whoever it was that recommended the pool noodle - you are a genius.
    ACC5B900-D56E-48DF-AD48-EE72716FB6CE.jpg 371F7E48-32CB-45E2-B3E8-4BA27E39027E.jpg

TacoPandaTRD likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    azzwethinkweiz

azzwethinkweiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB V6 6-Spd, TRD OR, Tow Package
    I have found the best practice is to have a full size spare matching your other 4 tires that you can have rotated in about every two oil changes or so. Been doing this on a couple different trucks and SUVs and never had any issues with deformities or markings on the spare since they don't stay there long enough to get them.

Michaelo likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    ^^ Those pool noodles will be paper thin in a few days. You need something like old tire pieces.

6. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    You also extend the mileage you get out of a set !

Products Discussed in

To Top