1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weather Techs – WTF?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

I got my front and rear weather techs in today (Black)! Was a little disappointed. For 150.00 I thought they’d be a little beefier…but oh well.

Question about the floor hooks….isn’t snow and water going to just leak down through the hook holes? What have you guys done to fix this?

I was thinking about plugging up the holes and NOT using the clips….but I don’t want to die in a fiery crash J. So I was thinking of just using some Velcro to keep them in place…anyone do this?

Also had to cut the driver’s side to fit the clutch. No big deal though.

They actually move around more than I thought they would. EVEN WITH THE CLIPS IN!?

Hope the Velcro helps!

2. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would use the clips because they might slide forward if you don't... Mine work out great hardly any water gets through the crack. :eek:

3. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    ^ Same here...I use the clips and they don't move at all and not much gets through the clip-holes. I love my Weathertechs...

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    I love my weathertechs. Nice and beefy. They dont move at all. Def use the clips though.

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    I live in Wisconsin and had my weathertechs last winter - not much stuff got into the hook holes. I suppose you could cover them with saran wrap and then install the mats, i haven't tried it though. I'd make about a foot square patch over each clip then stick in your mats. they do settle a bit, my fitment improved after a few days. they are great mats - definitely use the clips

6. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD V6 SR5
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Front Bilstein 5100's set to 1.75, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/75/R16 tires, Black WeatherTech Floor Liners, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, lighted 4x4 switch......
    The hooks fit tightly in the holes. I've never had any water get on the carpet below.

7. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

took a few weeks to come in, and yes from the directly.

Overall i'm satisfied....there is just SO much hype about them hear i had overly high expectations!

They are better then the OEM all weather death mats!

8. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 2.7L SR5 5spd, 4x4
    5100 set to .85 w/ rear TSB, 2012 Rear-view Mirror, Grillecraft, Team Trails FJ Wheels, TPMS canister, Rear headrest delete, Rear console delete, Valley Hitch, Frame undercoat, $2.99 Tailgate hose clamp lock, Avid light bar, 4x4 lighted switch ala Biceman.
    If you want to be all anal about it.....you will get more sand just at the base of the footrest to the left. No mat fully covers this and when you rest your muddy/sandy/wet shoes on this they are over the weathertechs and some will get down there. Take my Weathertechs out every few weeks to dump the crap out of them and I always hit this little area with the vac and a little 303 carpet protectant when I remember.

For the most part the hooks fill the holes in the mats anyway. If you are concerned about the 10 or so flakes of sand and 4 drops of water that will get by these then you have other issues...... unless you take your boots off everytime you get in and drive barefoot. I hope no one actually does this or I have to hear about it.:rolleyes:

9. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had to trim mine for the Clutch as well...My hooks suck in the holes... The right one sticks up higher than the mat when you push it through the hole? In resting position the hook is about 1/4 above the mat.

10. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    I just got mine in the other day as well. Overall I am super pleased with them, but I still have to trim a little more from around the clutch, it still catches the slightest bit.

As far as the holes, I am sure if you just fill them with silicone and then cut or drill out a whole just slightly smaller than the hooks. That way when they are installed, the hooks fit snug, and the silicone will fill in any gaps. For the amount of water that should be on the floor, it should be more than enough to stop it.

11. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Use the clips. I've never had any issues with water getting to the carpet. The area around the clips is raised up. If the fit is a little loose, just use a heat gun to form it better.

12. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    mine don't move at all and was a p.i.t.a yesterday at the car wash getting the drivers out of the clips. I have to agree they are abit disappointing for the $$$$ I was expecting alot more but they work ok. I dont think too much water is going to get through those 2 holes :)

13. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
  14. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea, tbh the taco is the only vehicle I've ever had with hooks.... I've never had problems in the past with floormats, of any vehicle :/

15. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    mine work great, 3 winters worth of use no issues underneath the hooks.

16. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD SPORT Acc.Cab Mag Grey 4x4 Auto
    Weathertech floor liners, stone and bug deflector, Putco Element In Channel Window Visors, Viper remote starter, Harley lighted hitch cover, Herculeze front mudflap, Metal Miller Harley Grill Emblem, SockMonkey design Bedside Decals and 3rd Brake light TRD decal, K&N Air Filter, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17 C load, Valor Exhaust tip, De-badged tailgate, Advantage Tonneau Cover, Tacoma bedmat, Bicycle Mount Rail mounts, Custom Ipod holder. Stock Suspension :( (winter wheels: 2014 16" stock steel wheels plastidipped black with general arctics 265/75/16)
    X2 Use the clips.
    Mine wiggle move around a little, but Ive never had issues with the clip holes leaking. My biggest complaint is minor in that they dont sit in the seal of the door that well.
    They are worth every penny IMO. I scotch guarded my carpet before I put them in, so the carpet is still protected if the liners do leak or something spills.

17. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    Fever

Fever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD
    TRD exhaust,remote starter, heated seats, Westin Bull Bar,TRD CAI, Weathertechs
    x3 on the hooks, love them so far, my only complaint was the back mat. I had to trim mine around the rear console. For the money paid i would have liked to see that fitted in but understand that some models have the rear console and others don't.

18. Dec 3, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    You should have just removed the centre console, installed the mat, cut a few small holes where the screws go though, and re installed the centre console. Thats what I did and it worked like a charm. Otherwise the corners where the centre console is totally exposed.

19. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    tacoeater

tacoeater Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Weather Tech floor mats
    I have had mine installed for about 2 months now. I love them and have zero complaints. They fit perfect. One of the best mods I have ever bought for a vehicle. They are a must if you ever plan to re-sell or if you just want to keep your carpet nice.

20. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz NMSAF!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Baja / Supercharged
    Super Charged, Icon Stage 5, Rigid Grill / Light Bar, Fuel 20" Wheels / Blade Tires, Shell Color Matched, Roof Rack, KatSkinz Interior, and other stuff
    why not use the hooks and do a small bead of silicone around the clip

To Top