1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WeatherTechs vs OEM All-Weather Mats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Graffin, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    Graffin

Graffin [OP] Taco Lover

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '23 DCLB TRD Off Road (White)
    Hey all,

I know this has been discussed before, but I searched and didn't find the answer I was looking for exactly.

My truck came with the OEM "All-Weather" Mats. They're nice enough, but I hear people rave about the Weathertechs so much I'm thinking about getting them for the front at least.

My question is, are they really that much of an upgrade over the rubber mats? Enough to justify the expense? I like the mats I have, but can see how the WTs would be nicer, I'm just wondering how much nicer.

Anyone who has upgraded want to chime in?

2. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Go with Husky Xact fits. I have had the Weathertech's, and they have all had gaps and such. Plus to me they were very slippery when wet. Go to Autoanything.com and you can get front and rears for 160.00 shipped

3. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    IMO, Weathertechs are a must but no replacement for the rubber all weather mats. I installed Weathertechs and cut out the plastic circles for the hold down pins. I then laid the OEM rubber mats inside of them and used the factory twist hold downs. They're tight, but they work. I've had it this way for a year now and I love it! I also did the same in my Camry, weathertechs,are the best!

Graffin[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    Graffin

Graffin [OP] Taco Lover

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Secondary question: assuming I get them, where's the cheapest place to order Weathertechs online?

5. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Autoanything.com will haggle with you. They have a chat section and if you tell them you have seen them for 160.00 they will put them in your cart and give you a deal. Like I said though the Xact fits are more of a sturdier build, have rubber on them, and fit like a glove. The Weathertech's don't, people will tell you to take a heat gun or hair dryer to them to bend them and make them fit. But personally for the coin they are charging you for alleged bogus laser fit plastic. You shouldn't have to manipulate or heat up shit to make it fit.

Graffin[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    alvinfromhawaii

alvinfromhawaii Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tacoma DCSB V6 TRD Offroad
    Supercharged, Magnaflow, Volant,
    I had both and decided on Husky for the fit and quality of the material. Both of these offer a larger area of coverage vs. the OEMs. One thing the Huskys also offer is that there is no hole for the hold downs which is better if there was ever a lot of liquid sitting on the mats so it doesn't leak onto the carpet. I don't know for sure offhand if water would ever leak through the weathertech holes for the hold downs but I thought better to be safe than sorry.

7. Jun 29, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    tacofan13

tacofan13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand DCSB 4X4
    Get the Husky Xact fit. I have them in my truck and they fit perfect. They use the Toyota factory hold down clips and offer more coverage than the oe mats.

Searoop likes this.
  8. Jun 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    alvinfromhawaii

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Unchained 5150 and Graffin[OP] like this.
  9. Jun 29, 2015 at 4:45 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Nuff said don't give a shit about the looks. Your feet are on them, and my Weathertechs always had salt build up under them. Go Xact fits.

Searoop likes this.
  10. Jun 29, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    Graffin

Graffin [OP] Taco Lover

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Well you all have certainly swayed my opinion. I'm going to look further into the Huskys. I like what the review said about them being less "hard plasticy" than the WTs.

Searoop likes this.
  11. Jun 29, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    You're right, it's been discussed over and over and over and over............. And the winner is????????

12. Jun 30, 2015 at 12:03 AM
    Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18 Now 5% less disappointing

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC
    The hold downs are there for a reason... I'd rather risk a little leakage, than my floormat getting caught up in my pedals... Seems like that's a better use of the "better safe than sorry" mantra...

13. Jun 30, 2015 at 2:51 AM
    andrewb

andrewb Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    Just bought my truck yesterday(picking up today), and had planned on pulling the trigger on some weathertechs in the next couple of days. Got on here for my nightly reading, and read this and many other threads praising the huskys so I checked out Amazon. I was surprised at how much they were, so I kept browsing TW and later on in the night went back to amazon just to look at them again and the price had dropped! Ended up with 45% off MSRP for front and rear, so of course the impulse buyer in me took control and I got them. Just checked amazon again, and the price was $70 more than I paid a few hours earlier...guess I was in the right place at the right time.

Excited to get them in and see how they do, hoping they live up to the hype.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  14. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    Graffin

Graffin [OP] Taco Lover

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:

Nice. Sorry I missed that deal. I'll keep checking Amazon, though.

15. Jun 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    alvinfromhawaii

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    There are little spikes on the bottom of these mats that prevent them moving. I don't see not having the hold downs as a risk, they ain't going nowhere. But everyone has their preference, Husky or WeatherTechs are both good mats, I just prefer Husky for what matters to me.

16. Jun 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    MDB Taco

MDB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘05 TRDOR DC
    I too have Husky liners in my truck. I forgot which model specifically they are, but they're the ones that have diamond-plate texturing and raised sides (custom fit for Tacomas obviously). They were a little cheaper than Weathertechs, and personally, I like them much better than the Weathertechs in my dad's car.

17. Jul 1, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    stbear

stbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
    I have 335 K miles on a set of Husky Liners. Two trucks. Worn but not worn through. I'll buy a new set for my next truck.

18. Jul 9, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    Graffin

Graffin [OP] Taco Lover

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Just scored the Xact fit front liners from Amazon Warehouse Deals for 70 bucks. Not a bad deal.

Thanks for all the input ;)

andrewb likes this.
  19. Jul 10, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    I got WTs but im sure huskys or any others would be just as good, really splitting hairs in differences. As long as you get some kind that are molded for your model truck you will love them.

Not sure about the huskys, but i like that if i were to spill a bunch of liquid the WTs would "pour" the liquid out the door, theyre designed to channel liquid out that way. And they cover all the way over the doorjamb so it wont leak into your doorjamb or on your carpet

20. Jul 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM
    andrewb

andrewb Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    Figured I'd update after some time with the Husky x-act liners. My truck had the OEM all weather mats in it when I picked it up, and I was originally impressed with them and contemplated keeping them in. After one afternoon with the OEM mats I looked, and realized just how little coverage they provided, dirt was all over the carpet after just a few hours of owning the truck. Put my Husky liners in immediately, they have been fantastic so far, great coverage! I'm sure the weather techs do a great job too, I do prefer the material of the Huskys compared to the harder plastic of the weather techs though.

On an unrelated note; if anybody wants to buy some OEM all weather mats just shoot me a PM. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top