1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WeBoost questions/info thread

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Chux, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Oct 29, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    patchesj

patchesj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow. that must be new... OK sorry guys. :mad:

2. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:39 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Does the cell router require a separate data plan?

3. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:06 AM
    patchesj

patchesj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, has it's own SIM card and plan.

4. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    So that's the trade off. For someone who is within range of cell service the majority of the time (i.e. where they live/work) and goes outside of cell coverage (camping/hiking/etc) who has spotty cell reception, the cell booster still makes more sense.

At $40/month, that's $480/year. I'm guessing you could get a monthly or pre-paid data plan, but that will still add up over time. Whereas the booster just amplifies the signal and allows you to utilize the data plan that you already have, so it's a one-and-done option.

I'm not trying to be weirdly defensive about the cell booster. I'm glad that you posted about the cell router, as I was previously unaware of it as an option. I think I'm just annoyed at the presentation. It seems like you dropped in, said "this product you're all looking at sucks. here's a better option and the data to prove it, but you need to be a 'premium member' to view the data to support my argument." However, I don't think that is how you meant it.

I think you mean to say "hey guys, here's another option to consider that may make more sense for some (but not all) people."

5. Sep 7, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    Stuck Sucks

Stuck Sucks Aerodynamic styling with functional design

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    The North American Plate
    I'm using the WeBoost Cell Booster which works fine. My problem is that at highway speeds, the antenna will go from being still and vertical (a perfect situation), to a wild lateral oscillation bending at the spring. A minute or two later, the antenna will return to perfectly still and vertical. This starts and stops seemingly random, all at constant highway speeds. Is there a way to prevent the wild left/right oscillation of the antenna?

The rotating base mount allows the antenna to be stowed in a "down" position when not in use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

medicfung likes this.
  6. Sep 7, 2022 at 9:14 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    I put one on my trailer and have one waiting for me to pick it up for my truck. It works very well for my trailer.
    IMG_20220527_131126.jpg
    @Stuck Sucks, I don't know if it will help or not, have you tried leaning the mount back one notch? Also, do you have a spacer in the mount? The one for my CB had a hole that was far too large and I had to weld a washer to the top to mount the antenna to so it would t work it's way through the hole.

Stuck Sucks likes this.
  7. Sep 9, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Just because the truck is at a constant speed doesn't mean that the wind is constant. I suspect your issue is with wind....either direct or cross. Maybe try moving it closer to the cab? Mine works reasonably well with the antenna mounted closer to the cab.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Stuck Sucks[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 13, 2022 at 12:49 AM
    girMobi

girMobi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OFF
    RCI, Martin, Vort and Irken tech
    been looking at this too, seems like if you are doing data you want the wifi router in order to get access to the 4g/5g channels with a boost by using an external antenna.
    the weboost's only boost the 3g and lte channels by fcc license or something, so you can do voice and data but its slow.
    with the router you also have the option of switching out service providers via the sim without having to change your phone number. tmobile might be better than att in some places, maybe even verizon.. verizon's coverage map is absolute shit compared to the other two

9. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:39 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    They advertise on the box that they work with 5G. I didn't, and am not going to, read the FCC license; but I don't think they could advertise that it works with 5G if they couldn't (legally).

Truth. I left t-mobile when I was forced to use their garbage network. Sprint was great, but tmobile is crap. Verizon is better than tmobile where I live. I couldn't even have a phone call on tmobile without it dropping. At least Verizon works here. That said, I thought they were supposed to be better "out in the sticks" but that isn't the case. I have to get WAY closer to civilization to get signal.

10. Sep 16, 2022 at 11:30 PM
    girMobi

girMobi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OFF
    RCI, Martin, Vort and Irken tech
    My job uses a lot of network so i need a fast connection speed.
    Seems like the weboost does technically boost 5g signals, but it may not be what your provider uses..

No support for high or mid band frequencies and thats what got me looking at the nighthawk, which can access midband C channel

Heres the radio spec sheet for the weboost drivereach
    Band 12/17 - 700 MHz
    Band 13 - 700 MHz
    Band 5 - 850 MHz att verizon low band 5g
    Band 4 - 1700/2100 MHz
    Band 25/2 - 1900 MHz verizon low band 5g
    they have radios for att, sprint, tmobile, and verizon
    BUT
    verizon and att use the mid-band C channel at 3.7Ghz,
    this is the most widely deployed 5g signal, so its the one you'd likely connect to out there. And this channel is chunky, 60mhz soon to be 200mhz wide

weBoost wouldn't see it, and with 3g channels going offline those low band 5g towers if they are in area you've stopped, will be steadily busy with all other legacy traffic.
    verizon is actually repurposing their 3g towers to run mid band 5g so that last town before you hit the boonies might be your last 5g spot but the last signal the weboost could pick up was 30 miles before that.

VE7OSR likes this.
  11. Jan 4, 2023 at 7:09 AM
    Naveronski

Naveronski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD:OR
    Just got mine! Looking for install options. I'll probably mount it behind the rear seat, but I'm also considering under the passenger seat since there's a grommet available.

Anyone reason not to have this come on whenever the truck is on?

12. Jan 4, 2023 at 7:24 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Having it come on when the truck is on is fine. I put mine on a switch so I can have it on when the truck is off as I currently spend between 6 and 12 hours a day in my truck using radios to direct traffic. I used a CH4x4 switch wired directly as the power is already wired with a 3 amp fuse.
    I mounted mine under the rear seat of my Tundra because that was an easy spot to put it and I didn't want it sitting on top of or close to the floor vents to prevent it from getting too hot if I have the heat blasting when it is 10* outside.

Naveronski likes this.
  13. Jan 4, 2023 at 9:02 AM
    Stuck Sucks

Stuck Sucks Aerodynamic styling with functional design

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    The North American Plate
    I use my booster when we are in the outback. The amp lives under the driver's seat and is hard-wired to my aux battery with a switch under the hood. When we are home, the antenna is stowed and the booster is turned off.

Not sure why people are talking about routers and monthly fees -- none of that is required for the booster. You buy the hardware and you are done.

CowboyTaco likes this.
  14. Jan 4, 2023 at 9:22 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Personal preference. I don't see any reason why it couldn't come on with the truck.

I moved mine to under the passenger seat, but have not re-run the power to it. Was planning on adding a switch so that it could be toggled as desired and wired direct to battery.

15. Jan 4, 2023 at 9:37 AM
    CttAznRanger

CttAznRanger Crazy NE Asian with the Cali Lean (temporary)

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    That is exactly what I have set up. Under the passenger seat, antenna up by the rear passenger door, with the rocker switch under the handbrake (3rd gen)

CowboyTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 5, 2023 at 3:53 PM
    Naveronski

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    How did you run the antenna wire?

17. Jan 5, 2023 at 3:54 PM
    Naveronski

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Mounted the antenna today; it’s along the passenger side, tucked against my awning.

Photo taken from passenger door looking rearward.

55534FF0-244C-4161-A560-6AA529B01DDE.jpg

CowboyTaco, CttAznRanger and windsor like this.
  18. Jan 5, 2023 at 6:24 PM
    CttAznRanger

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I did exactly that, but put it at the rear end, and folds forward. No quickfist clamp though.

Naveronski[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 5, 2023 at 10:32 PM
    panicmonster

panicmonster no

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2021 Mallcrawler Pro
    Considering something very similar with a larger quick fist to clamp around the cone.

Where did you guys run your wire in and where did you mount the box?

Edit* - Just read up above about box mounting. Still not too sure about running the antenna wire. Thanks in advance.

Naveronski[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 6, 2023 at 5:50 AM
    CttAznRanger

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I ran the wire down the side of the windshield with one of those KC wire hiders. Then I ran it in through one of the boots on the firewall. It has JUST enough length to get to under the passenger seat.

Naveronski and CowboyTaco like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top