1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wedge Campers & Assorted Oddities

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by T4RFTMFW, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:08 PM
    huruta

huruta Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christy
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport
    Drifter....ARRIVED!
  2. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    Shameless self promotion; also a good way to answer some of the questions/speculation/wild guesses being bandied about...

https://youtu.be/xzk0r0YhUVw

Apparently, I have posted this video once before in this thread... oops. Carry on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    huruta and Overlanerd like this.
  3. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    Overlanerd

Overlanerd Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    Thanks for posting this Brian and clearing up a few things.

It was actually in this wedge thread, and replies with facts based on experience isn't really a crucifixion, but potato, potato.

Construction

As far as construction goes, I can't articulate this as well as @dman100 :

Dude is smart.

I've had a few fully welded aluminum campers. Well, 3 actually. And that fiberglass one. Two if you count the Snugtop. Those things did alright. Not sure if that's average for most people providing groundbreaking facts about camper construction in this thread or others. There's a company in Woodland that's been churning them out for decades with a large price tag. Not sure how they stay in business if welded aluminum is always failing. My guess: magic.

I didn't really get to test it out though. Just some fire roads.

EPSON001.jpg

And trying to keep up with this guy a few hours later. I'm older and more cautious, so I only went 65 - 70. With my right blinker unintentionally on, of course.

@jberry813

Thermal

The aluminum roof has 1" thick laminated foam insulation with an R-value of around 4. The composite ceiling adds some R-value, but I don't have those figures. The roof appears to stay fairly cool. I've continuously tried to fry eggs on the roof, for science, but they keeps sliding off because of the popped-up wedge angle. The results of my experiments are inconclusive, for now, until I can find a way to keep eggs from sliding off.

As far as temperature goes, the aluminum roof doesn't seem to get as hot as my truck, which is steel and painted white. If it does feel warm, the huge side or rear windows can be opened (fully or partially), the standard cab window can be opened, or the optional 900 cfm Fantastic Fan can expel hot air. You don't have to run it on high (3-speed) for long, but if you really want to, we can switch back to the battery discussion...

Wood

I wish there was more wood around here, but we're a pretty small team. I mean, the quantity is small. The quantity of people... nevermind.

And we are definitely having the panels laser cut on someone else's $1,000,000 self- feeding laser and formed on someone else's $250,000 CNC brake. If we had purchased that equipment for only building campers, our prices would probably be way lower... The math definitely works out. Carry the "1", right?

We actually use composite (polyethylene sandwiched between thin aluminum sheets) for the sleeping platforms. We offered the first 4 bamboo. Just that cheap stuff that is used for cutting boards and high end furniture.

All in all, we wedgies can all get along. Each one is different, like snowflakes. If you would like to know more about why ours is super special, please DM me and we can go over the details by email or phone!

Edit:

Full disclosure: We do not mix our own sealants and adhesives. Just elbow grease...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Prizes for all of us special snowflakes.

E2D747E8-EE0D-4F3F-BFBA-28F52C14C0F1.jpg

5. Sep 17, 2018 at 11:17 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    From the Drifter Buildout thread I’d anyone was wondering what the shadow awn looks like on a Drifter.

I got one of these mounted up. We had to make custom brackets but it’s easy to setup and break down. It’s mounted right to the sides of the drifter so it’s extremely stiff and well positioned. It’s also flush with the roof so it doesn’t add height to the whole camper.

anomalyTRD, LTDSC, tyfoon11 and 6 others like this.
  6. Sep 18, 2018 at 12:34 AM
    Overlanerd

Overlanerd Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
  7. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    Tacovore

Tacovore Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DCLB
    Thanks for posting this Brian and for correcting my error about wood/bamboo on the Drifter. Your comments were also shared in the other forum (while I was sleeping) by @YOTA 4X4 so that group is aware as well. Great to have such options for getting outdoors available and glad to see such interest in the wedge campers, also glad that correct information is being shared. My apologies.

8. Sep 19, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    danneskjold

danneskjold Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Shoreline, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 F150
    YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  9. Sep 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    Quadabaum

Quadabaum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    265/75R16 Falkens, ADS 2.5" Stage 3 Suspension, Go Fast Camper
    YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  10. Sep 19, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    nosedive

nosedive Well-Known Member

Member:
    Switzerland
    Alu Cab offers that kind of camper (canopy wedge camper or whatever it‘s called) since a long time. The main difference I see right now is the shorter sleeping platform. Looks nice though, I like the size and the rear entry door.

2F0C8890-AC38-4710-A78A-CDDBD335856B.jpg
    7E196A7C-5F54-4394-8778-25BCEEB70BA8.jpg

11. Sep 23, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Overlanerd and DoorDing like this.
  12. Sep 23, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    danneskjold

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Shoreline, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 F150
    I swear to god I saw an aluminum flippac the other day in Bozeman. Not a Habitat, but a Flippac made out of aluminum with a side window. Anyone ever heard of something like that?

13. Sep 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Those too but they've been out of production a lot longer than the FlipPac has... Haven't really researched them but I do know a TW member who still has one. It's pretty awesome.
    Maybe a home-made unit? I toyed with the idea for a while... Using a CVT RTT as the basis for a wildernest style setup.

14. Sep 24, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    danneskjold

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Shoreline, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 F150
    Wow! Looks like Phil’s V1

15. Sep 24, 2018 at 10:02 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    That's pretty damn cool.

Jim Bob likes this.
  16. Sep 26, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    smelly621

smelly621 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRDOR 6MT
    It's DLX son!
    I used to have a shell with barn doors that replaced the tailgate, and while they were nice for camping - it sucked to no longer be able to throw 4x8 sheet goods in the back occasionally.

Just something I didn't consider initially. Now that I have a tailgate again, I notice it is nice as a spot to sit and work on - and wouldn't want to go back to the barn doors.

17. Sep 26, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    nosedive

Member:
    Switzerland
    I agree with you. If your truck isn‘t a dedicated camping rig, keeping the tailgate makes absolutely sense.

I just completed a five-month camping trip with a shell and single rear door. I‘m glad I got rid of the tailgate. I personally would have been annoyed by climbing over the tailgate several times every day for five months straight.

The other big benefit I see is the usable space left and right of the door. Plenty of space to mount a propane bottle holder and gas can holder.

18. Sep 26, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    nosedive

Member:
    Switzerland
    More pictures of the Alu Cab canopy camper. I‘m very curious about the weight of that beauty.

62A10F60-851E-47B2-82C2-AC1A6CD95CA6.jpg
    39ED626F-9355-4401-8E36-223B4126ED60.jpg 26EF8E43-72C0-4C76-A15E-9D3EB708CB79.jpg 561D9F60-531B-4D4D-BF63-8DD5D52061CF.jpg

Brake Weight and spresso like this.
  19. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    nosedive

Member:
    Switzerland
    Not quite sure what you mean by rear corners. Like on a rear hatch such as a regular camper shell?

20. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:38 PM
    nosedive

Member:
    Switzerland
    Yes I meant the exterior :thumbsup: For the folks that don‘t want to use a swing out rear bumper.

DoorDing likes this.
To Top