1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wedge Life

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Iggy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Jul 24, 2020 at 9:28 PM
    foxrcing07

foxrcing07 KO7FOX

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Raptard 2001 TJ
    Dirt
    Yup that’s 100% one of my camping spots

2. Jul 25, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    I feel like this applies to all wedgies. People always ask if you can still do "truck stuff" with the camper. Today I moved over a thousand pounds of dirt and it was actually made easier with the camper, compared to a standard shell, because I could stand up inside to dump the wheelbarrow or shovel.

I still think if you want to do "truck stuff" you either need a 1/2 ton long bed or a trailer or both, but that's not the point here.

tyfoon11, Bentrodder and JasonLee like this.
  3. Jul 25, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    d.shaw

d.shaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD-OR
    Vagabond Drifter, King 2.5 coilovers, King 2.5 rear, Pelfreybilt front / rear bumpers and skids, rock sliders, Safari snorkel, Smitybilt winch, Baja designs 20in, wide cornering spots, S2 rear. Deaver expedition series stage 3 rear leaf.
    people always ask me if i 'use the snorkel'.......i mean its permanently attached to the air intake.....

4. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:30 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    Love the pics man, thanks for sharing.

frenchee and MJonaGS32[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jul 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM
    joeink

joeink Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma white 4X4
    nothing YET!
    Have the canvas installed. Now need to wrap it to be the same color as the truck.

918BEC01-6C6C-4FB2-B1B7-F4B419D83C01.jpg

6. Jul 27, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    Holloman

Holloman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    nor cal Cloverdale
    Vehicle:
    2016 dcsbTRD OR
    Things and stuff

While I do miss my second gen I have to admit that my new to me third gen is pretty damn nice.

7. Jul 27, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    Built2Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    What am I looking at here? Is this your own build? I don’t believe I have seen this yet.

8. Jul 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    DIY.

9. Jul 27, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    Built2Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    Well hell yes! I love it. A friend of mine who owns a LC resto/ Toyota Offroad shop here in Ga, are looking to make a camper.
    We are building out a couple HD teardrops that are more of an AU/S African style build in which the camper can be removed for flatbed use.
    The wedges are killer, although I did get in an Atlas and the extra room at the end was nice.
    I think we will build out a wedge. I love the simplicity.

backcountryj and Wackyhacky like this.
  10. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    joeink

joeink Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma white 4X4
    nothing YET!
  11. Jul 29, 2020 at 10:33 PM
    Eazy.E

Eazy.E Big gulps huh?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Snohomish, Wa
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport Trail Whale
    At least they aren’t asking if it’s your exhaust. :rofl:

Anderson likes this.
  12. Jul 30, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    d.shaw

d.shaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD-OR
    Vagabond Drifter, King 2.5 coilovers, King 2.5 rear, Pelfreybilt front / rear bumpers and skids, rock sliders, Safari snorkel, Smitybilt winch, Baja designs 20in, wide cornering spots, S2 rear. Deaver expedition series stage 3 rear leaf.
    i mean, im not saying that hasn't happened......

i'm from New Zealand - where every other 4x4 has a snorkel....

Eazy.E[QUOTED] and Anderson like this.
  13. Aug 2, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    huruta

huruta Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christy
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport
    Drifter....ARRIVED!
    Would love some input on a wedge camper issue we had this weekend. Our campsite was stolen. We stayed at a lovely disperse camp spot by a river in Mt Baker, WA area Thursday night, got up early to beat the heat on a hike and left behind a table, red wire cord from one tree to another, an orange bucket and a note saying we'd be back with Friday's date. We don't leave anything of high value due to risk of theft.

When we got back some campers had moved our stuff and taken our spot saying that camp sites can't be reserved . Uh, WTF? We had left stuff and left a note explaining we would be back. They claimed we didn't have the spot because we didn't leave an actual tent and that we were trying to 'reserve' a spot which was not allowed (this was in national forest land). Of course our tent is on our truck so we can't leave it behind. We left a note saying we'd be back, what more do people want?

So, what do you all do to "mark your spot" so others do not take it? It would suck to bring and put up a tent just to ward off such assholes.

14. Aug 2, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    joeydurango

joeydurango Nightfall Overland

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Heavily modified 2015 TRD w/Drifter
    Pee on it and carry a 12 gauge? :facepalm: Okay, okay - that's my once-a-week juvenile American male moment. Sorry.

Something tells me that if the various gear and the note weren't enough for them, then an empty tent wouldn't be a deterrent either... although either would be plenty to make me look elsewhere.

I have been physically threatened before by redneck tourists who thought that putting a 2" diameter stick on the ground across the opening to one of my favorite campsites meant they had "saved" it. I didn't think anything of it while setting up camp - after all, in the forest, 2" diameter sticks are, you know, kind of everywhere. But they were sure pissed when they came back an hour later.

I pretty much just assume that if I leave my camp spot in the truck, it is up for grabs. I try to camp in spots where I can hike/ride directly from the site... not feasible in a lot of places, I understand.

In summary, I guess I don't have a very good answer to your question. I think what you did was plenty, honestly. Bad apples are everywhere.

15. Aug 2, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    MountainBikeRdr

MountainBikeRdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tacoma DCSB OR
    I normally take a similar approach and put out a couple of chairs to mark the spot. A cheap $30 tent might not be a bad idea in areas that have easy access (kind of ruins the whole ease of setup and tear down that the wedges offer though). Unfortunately, not all campers play by the rules.

Eazy.E and huruta[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Aug 2, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    Sounds like you ran in to some assholes. A table, chairs, or really any item that is obviously not forgotten would be enough for me to move on. The note should've been the cherry on top. I read my wife the story and it made her "livid!" Sorry to hear about this, it would ruin my weekend!

huruta[QUOTED] and Anderson like this.
  17. Aug 2, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    tacomgee

tacomgee just ain't care....

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    NorCal - Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Supercharged Taco
    Mostly whatever sweet stuff I can find at Vatozone
    That is extremely lame to hear that they would completely disregard your stuff and note.
    Unfortunately there are shitty people everywhere. Hopefully you were able to find another, better spot.

Its a weird situation trying to hold a spot with a Drifter. I don’t want to leave anything of value but i also don’t really have anything to leave that other people wouldn’t mind “finding” and make it their own.
    I like the idea of throwing i small cheap tent to throw up if leaving and hoping that would do the trick of holding a spot. But also wouldn’t be totally brokenhearted if it got stolen.
    I just assume people suck and are just going to steal whatever is around if no one is around to stop them.

18. Aug 2, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    bigtrout

bigtrout Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I'm torn between a Habitat and wedge camper. Drawn to the Habitat given you can sleep 4 up top, but a wedge seems more elegant and simple. In the end, my wife and I are drawn to a camper now because it will allow us to get our boy - but a few weeks in this world - outdoors with minimal effort. We are dedicated paddlers and are quite comfortable humping 3 weeks of kit over portages between lakes and rivers and otherwise living under a lean shelter.

But now we're looking at converting our 3rd gen DCSB into a camper, since it will be a few years before our son takes up paddling like his his folks. We'll have our hands full enough we like the convenience of a camper and overland looks more in the cards than travel by canoe.

For those with little ones (i.e. 5 months and up to say 6-7 years), how is a Vagabond for sleeping 3?

Where do you sleep you little one in a wedge?

What happens when the little one is joined by another?

I read on Expedition Portal of a fellow who built a platform for his 4 year old to sleep across the rear of the bed. good use of space, but still takes up a good 20-25" inches of space across the rear of the bed, and I'd imagine it could be a little dark "downstairs" unless your camper has windoors or otherwise to get light inside.

19. Aug 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    alldownhill

alldownhill Well-Known Member

Member:
    I built out a drifter to support a few small kids (at the moment). I've had the drifter for 18 months and my youngest was ~2 when she first started camping in it. I built a platform across the front of the bed for one of the kids (currently 3 and 5) and they both can sleep comfortably on it. There is the front window so it gets light, although I think dark is better for kids. As far is it taking up space, I think it's a positive. It makes loading stuff in the back easier as you have two levels so stuff isn't as stacked. Additionally, with the drifter, I don't find myself folding the bed out of the way so that space in the front of the bed is better suited for the bed platform and storage. I think it's best not to think of it as a "live in" camper, maybe as a single person but it gets cramped quickly.

I'm not sure if I would build anything permanent for a <18month old. Things change so quickly during that time. Co-sleeping or a mini-pack-and-play may be your best options.

As far as habitat vs. wedge, I considered the habitat initially and am glad I have the wedge. In my opinion, it's better for more occasions. I pop the top up more often and in more places that a habitat would be awkward. It sleeps 2 adults perfectly, 1 adult and 2 little kids really well, and 2 adults 2 little kids "okay". If we need more space, we just setup a tent. Also, I do about equal family trips and solo trips. The drifter makes every trip easier but the solo trips are especially easy.

[​IMG]

20. Aug 2, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    Tacoma1997White4x4

Tacoma1997White4x4 America First

Member:
    West Covina, California
    Vehicle:
    1997 white 4x4 auto 4cylinder Singlecab, 2001 auto rwd 2.4l single cab flatbed
    Km3’s 31’s,Lift,Sliders,rear ARB air locker,on board air, armor, hi shell

Products Discussed in

To Top