1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird clutch problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dustin03, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 [OP] The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    I searched the forums but I couldn't find anyone else who was having a problem quite like mine, so here goes. Just this morning I was warming up the truck with the clutch pedal to the floor and the tranny in gear. When I went to drive off, the clutch completely re-engaged in the first two inches of travel, and the clutch pedal stopped. I pulled the pedal back up all the way with my foot and it stayed. The whole way to school this morning (about 30 miles the way I had to go), the clutch would do this same thing whenever I had the clutch disengaged for an extended period of time--like the length of a traffic light.

I had this same trouble with my old 2000 V6 manual, but it was fixed by a mechanic because I had money in those days. Now my 2003 V6 is doing it and I have to fix it myself. What's wrong? The clutch feels like it's fully engaging and disengaging like it should, but coming off the pedal is as sudden as dumping it.

Sorry for being so wordy but I figured I ought to tell you everything I know so far. Thanks for all your help. :annoyed:

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    A ferw things to check.

1. Low fluid-check reservoir
    2. Possible air in system/leak - bleed system (pedal would feel soft/spongy)
    3. Bad clutch slave cylinder
    4. Bad cultch cylinder

Check the first two items. Then we will examine further if that isn't the issue.

3. Aug 26, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yep, couldn't have said it better, you have an issue with hydraulics related to clutch, bad master,bad slave, you may have a leak or some crap in the return side of cylinder(s).:cool:

4. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    Dustin03

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    That's pretty much what I figured, I suppose. I know the fluid levels are fine because I watch them like a hawk. So it must be a bad cylinder of some sort. Good thing I don't have class tomorrow, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help guys. It feels good to know what's going on.

5. Aug 29, 2009 at 2:04 AM
    offroadTRD

offroadTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dinwiddie County, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4 TRD- Fabtech
    Fabtech 3" adjustable coil-over system, Alcan 8-leaf spring pack, Fabtech 3" body lift.
    master cylinder....... 100% sure about this.

6. Aug 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    Dustin03

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    That was it! Thank you so much! :yay:

All Hail TacomaWorld!!!

To Top