1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird noise coming from transfer case

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awoit, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Nov 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    awoit

awoit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    URD CAI, Flowmaster super 40, Debadged, 15% Tint all around, 12" sub, amp, and upgraded kenwood headunit,
    When I spin the wheel backwards there is a sputtering like noise that comes from the area0 of the xfer case.. took off the plug to check oil lvl and I couldn't feel any oil.. should it be filled to the top? Video to follow

2. Nov 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    awoit

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    URD CAI, Flowmaster super 40, Debadged, 15% Tint all around, 12" sub, amp, and upgraded kenwood headunit,
    Let me clarify a little, i noticed this sound once i raised the wheel and played around a little. This however is not the original sound i was attempting to find which is still happening after i filled the transfer case. While im driving down the road it is a small buzzing noise coming from the drivers side front wheel but i cannot find it when im not actually driving down the road which is why im having trouble figuring out exactly where it is coming from. anyways here is a video of the noise i found once i raised up the truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOy1Jrv9XfU

3. Nov 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Oil should be at the hole on the transfer and what is that movie of?

4. Nov 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    of him spinning it

5. Nov 27, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    awoit

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    bump.
    Can anyone tell me why it is making that sputtering noise in the video when I rotate my wheel backwards?

6. Dec 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    awoit

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    Update: after taking to the dealership for diagnosis of another problem I'm having this noise coming from the wheel being rotated backwards is normal (according to the dealership they tested another vehicle and it had the same spin noise..) something about a spider gear or something..

To Top