1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird noise when in reverse

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by deftoned_one, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    deftoned_one

deftoned_one [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    K&N AIR FILTER,RUNNING BOARDS
    hey guys!!!!! new to the site and a proud new owner of a 2007 prerunner sr5 d-cab. i love the truck, i have only had it a few weeks and it currenty has 79k on it. my question is that i have noticed that when i put the truck in reverse (its a automatic) it makes some wierd noise, its not a grinding noise kinda like a humming noise maybe. i cant tell if its the transmission or maybe even the steering gear cuz it seems like when im turning the wheel in reverse. im just wondering if this is normal or if anyone has encountered this problem or maybe knows a fix. thanks for all the help

2. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Is it a kinda high pitched Whurr?

3. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    u joints possibly, when mine started to go they only made a noise while in reverse

4. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    deftoned_one

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    yeah its kinda like a whurr, and its not constant comes and goes. i dont think its u-joints but i guess its possible. i will crawl under it tomorrow and check it out.

5. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    The whurr is usual for a lot of cars in reverse. Coming and going though...not so much.

6. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    deftoned_one

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    yeah im not sure, like i said it seems like its more when im in reverse and moving the steering wheel like turning . i will prolly go out tomorrow and mess with it see if i can get some more details. other than that the truck is awesome and im ready for some mods just dont know where to start first!!!!!!

To Top