1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird rumble when in throttle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VENTOx97, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    VENTOx97

VENTOx97 [OP] Just kickin it

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 DLX 4x4
    All stock
    Well this will be my second post, But i thought i might as well ask so if someone else has maybe had this problem, Well like i said i havent had my taco for no longer then 3 weeks now, and i have noticed i need to replace the u joints but idk if the rumbling im having is bad u joints, well if im in throttle it has a good rumbling and as soon as i let off it will go away, if im just cruising or WOT, it will do it period. It's bad enough i will have to raise my voice if im speaking to someone in the vehicle, and it makes everything like my dash and other panels rattle and make noise. All i can thing of is bad u joint's, maybe a motor/tranny mount, or a wheel bearing. I havent really got to check it out or look it over as i have been really busy with work and im not motivated at the end of the day. But ill stop rambling. Thanks for the help.

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    ok this might be the same problem im having. i did my u joints and if you take a pic i can tell you if they are bad. back out of a parking spot. then put it into drive. if you get a nasty clunk thats u joints. but if your getting the shakes like mine is. my truck is a superchaged 3.4L i have a bad lower intake gasket this is causing misfire. my whole truck shakes when it misses and its loud. tons of shaking and stuff. but when i get in the boost its fine.

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    VENTOx97

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 DLX 4x4
    All stock
    well if it helps mine is a 2.7l 5 speed, and when i shift threw gears every time i release the clutch it has a clunk noise

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    sounds like a u joint problem. you get it when you release the clutch from a take off?

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:50 PM
    VENTOx97

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 DLX 4x4
    All stock
    haha i want to say i believe so but i will double check tomorrow.

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    When you say "rumbling" is there a vibration also ? & if you know you need new U joints, I'd tend to it ASAP, if a joint is bad & totally fails on you theres a good chance that driveshaft is going to drop & its going to re define the noise you have now, & its a bitch to get a driveshaft unstuck from coming thru your floorboard (ok, maybe not thru it)

Does it ever sound like theres a piece of wire wrapped around your driveshaft when you pull away from a stop ??

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    VENTOx97

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 DLX 4x4
    All stock
    Yeah there is vibration, And i understand the u joint problem, i had it happen to me on my first vehicle haha, but no nothing like a wire or anything, I wish i could post a video it would be a world of difference if you could just see/hear it.

8. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    VENTOx97

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 DLX 4x4
    All stock
    ok so yes i was right, when i put it into gear from a take off it makes the clunking noise, i have already confirmed that with my self, But do you think that the u joints would make a rumble and vibration?

To Top