1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Tire Rub, Damage?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 6spdtaco, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Tom Woods driveshaft. TRD short throw shift kit. TRD exhaust. AFE Stage II intake. CBI Bumpers front and rear. Warn 8000i winch/ synthetic line. OME 3" lift w/ dakar springs and 886 coils. ATO Front skid. ARE MX cap. Trail Team FJ wheels. Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75-16 C tires. Diff breather relocation mod.
    I was doing crawling around under my truck this morning, dropped the spare and noticed some indentations/rub marks. Could this be from the spare being too loose and moving a little bit or too tight and creating "dents" in the tires.

Here is what it looks like. It is on all 4 points of contact of the tire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 6spdtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Tom Woods driveshaft. TRD short throw shift kit. TRD exhaust. AFE Stage II intake. CBI Bumpers front and rear. Warn 8000i winch/ synthetic line. OME 3" lift w/ dakar springs and 886 coils. ATO Front skid. ARE MX cap. Trail Team FJ wheels. Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75-16 C tires. Diff breather relocation mod.
    nice too see so many opinions!

3. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    shouldnt be a problem

4. Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I have that to and so far it hasn't been a problem. I've been running the spare for a couple months now.

5. badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    It's normal. I was told it was friction due to bed bounce.

6. lonepeak

lonepeak Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    I discovered the same thing this past week when I was 8 hours from pavement after loosing a tire to a sharp rock. With only 17k on my truck I saw that the rub had worn all the way to the belting. I disagree that this is "normal" and I'll be going to the dealer for a warranty this week. Has anyone come up with a valid solution to this design problem? Throwing the tire in the bed or mounting on top of the cap is NOT an option...those spots are for gear. Thanks.

7. 6spdtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I haven't had a chance to look at mine again since I got a matching spare. Wearing all the way to the belting is definitely an issue. Maybe its just because the spare wasn't tighened down enough from dealership.

To Top