1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird while braking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jr114, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 12:26 AM
    jr114

jr114 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    so i noticed today and yesterday that my truck tends to dip alot in the front while braking. normal braking nothing crazy. and it seems to be more than normal. im wondering if i need to change the rear brakes. they have 25k on em.i just changed the fronts a month ago and forgot to have the guy look at the rears cause i was in a rush.what do you guys think? any info?

2. Jun 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    rear drums will be no where near warn out at 25k unless something is wrong. maybe the new pads you just installed are grabbing more than the older ones and this is what you are noticing? also, why replace front pads at 25k?

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herbie Hancock
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Mostly stock for now, I have added a cb radio, various cheap mods and I plan on adding aftermarket wheels and other items in the future.
    Yeah, if you're changing your brake pads at 25k, you're braking way too hard. You might want to change your braking habits.

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    brandonaz

brandonaz Avid Off Road Vendor

Member:
    Could also be that the rears are out of adjustment. They should be readjusted at least every 10k miles or so. Normally with every tire rotation. If they're out of adjustment that could cause them to not grab as well. Best way to check would be to apply the E-brake. If it goes pretty far down before it tightens up, that would be a good indication that the rear brakes need adjustment.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Even if the front brakes are completely removed and all you are using are the rear brakes, the truck will still dip in the front when you brake hard. Its momentum.

If a vehicle nose dives when stopping, it has to do with the suspension (springs) and it has nothing to do with brakes being out of adjustment.

Not sure why you had to change the brakes at 25k. I changed my front pads at 75k and the rear shoes still have over 40% material.

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It does sound like you're braking too hard and combined with the new shoes.

Most vehicles should automatically keep the rear shoes adjusted as you drive - usually adjusts while in reverse and braking - I'm not totally sure how the tacomas work.

Try going in reverse and using the brakes and see if the rear brakes will adjust for you. Try using the ebrake a few times also. Also, you can take the rear wheels off, and remove the rear drums. As you remove the rear drums, how easy/difficult is it to remove them? There should be slight resistance. Inspect the rear shoes for wear and especially look for uneven wear. If the rear brakes aren't adjusting properly, you'll have more 'wear' at the top part of the shoe where the piston is. If the shoes look good and still have plenty of material, then you can adjust them manually using the star wheel. You should be able to adjust them with the wheels ON...however, I personally like to do it with wheels off and I can pull the drum on/off to judge how tight/loose it is.

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Maybe your shocks are worn. Does your rear end squat while accelerating ?

To Top