1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Welders by trade question.

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Bearskill, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    So........ I'm getting out of the AF in around four months. I have been a jet eng mechanic for the last six years and was in construction more or less since high school. Now that Im getting out Im going to use the G.I. bill and go to school. I am looking at this welding program. It's an associates in applied science. It's supposed to cover everything and it has some C.A.D and drafting rolled into it as well. So for you welders out there..... I know it is hard work. But how is the pay? How is the job out look for welders? Do I need this degree to be a welder? Are there better was to get trained? what should I know before I start this program? If you are a succesfull welder, what did it take to get there? I know some of these are dumb questions, I just want to do something new and not work on 30 years old engines anymore or end up behind a desk.

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo 4wd Longbed
    Not as many as the 98..
    Where I live, welding is a very well paid occupation upwards of 80k a year at the mines. Most places look for certifications, rather than a degree. But certainly, a degree would help.

3. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Agreed. Welders here are some of the highest paid tradesmen. A lot of companies require certification from the city and state where you are working. I think you would be better off getting into the union and going through the apprentice program. That degree you are getting may not be recognized by a lot of companies. Most would rather hire someone that has gone through the apprentice program. Good luck.

4. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    i am a certifed welder. i do stucual and bridges. the more certs you have the better. it pays pritty good. must comanys want someone with experence more than a digree but it deffinatly wont hurt. it all really depends on wat you want to do you could do big stuff like i do or little stuff but their is almost always work for welders.

5. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    mwild

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels

were do you live i want 80k+ a year

6. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo 4wd Longbed
    Not as many as the 98..
    The coal mines here in NorthDakota. Starting is around the 45-50k range, but put in 10 good years and you'll be rolling in the big bucks. Welders are a hot job right now, since the mines are have turnover with all the 50+yr old guys retiring

7. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    mwild

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    nice

8. Dec 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    Holling

Holling Desert Dweller

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Debadged
    Unless you WANT to weld, get your A&P if you don't have one and keep turning wrenches. Airline mechanics make way more than 80k after a few years with about any major airline. You also get free travel and many other perks.

9. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Damn ...80K for welding? Almost makes me cry looking at paycheck ...

Some folks told me I should have gotten into a welding certification program instead of going to school for IT like I am right now. I don't know. Welding is the funnest job I've ever had but I'll never get outta debt doing it.

Lucky for me, I'm good with computers too ...

To Top