1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Welding on Sliders, what welder to use?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by ejiblits, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Oct 1, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    So any moisture or contaminants can drain from behind it.

2. Oct 1, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Robertocritser

Robertocritser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    KY
    Vehicle:
    08 sport
    ATM6969420 series
    Running flux core down hill is frowned apon. You have to move faster which creates a great chance for cracking due to excessive travel speed. With that being said many have done it with success. I have welded on my frame with 6010 3/32, 0.35 hard wire er70s-6 (most common 70k wire you will find at local stores). All can be done by a competent welder. Which is what the op needs.

Not trying to piss any one off but if you are asking basic questions like what welder should I use, I would suggest finding a shop to weld them on. This is a expensive truck and it would suck having to replace a frame over what would cost $100 to weld on.

3. Oct 1, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    svdude

svdude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jonathan
    No it does not. However, a nice looking weld is typically a uniform weld. As long as there is good penetration on a uniform weld then it is usually strong as well. An ugly weld isn't usually uniform and will have hot/cold spots which won't be as strong.

4. Oct 1, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    svdude

svdude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jonathan
    If you weld all the way around how would moisture or contamination get in?

Not to argue your technique but I don't think I have ever seen sliders welded that way. Nor have I seen any frame for a vehicle welded that way.

5. Oct 1, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Holes on the back side

6. Feb 24, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    GLekter

GLekter New Member

Member:
    Stihl is good for this. I just looking for this post. Now I have to choose my first welder. Anyone can help? Right now I'm also looking for my first job and my first tools to do it. I just recently finished a course on how to become a welder and I don't have any experience or any qualifications yet. I'm working now in a factory that took me as an intern, but I'm still a part-time employee. And I am looking for some good tools to work with in order to improve my skills. If anyone can suggest, please speak up. Certainly we've been trained https://weldingnearyou.com/ what the right tool to choose, but I'm still undecided

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. Feb 24, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    Running Board Man

Running Board Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nothing's wrong with flux most production welds these days are made with it

8. Feb 24, 2021 at 12:12 PM
    Running Board Man

Running Board Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    Personally I'd weld all around... So nothing can get in in the first place

Given your welding it's going to be hot, the frame coating/sliders paint will burn off, you'll have unprotected steel butted up against unprotected steel where crap can get behind and would be hard to clean out

No moisture would be trapped in there since youre welding it's hot the moisture would be evaporating out of the pocket you're welding shut

Products Discussed in

To Top