1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Well, hello there Unintended Acceleration.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by minameismud, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:10 AM
    minameismud

minameismud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Fog light mod, clamped tailgate
    FIRST

I have NOT yet contacted the dealership. They aren't even open yet. You can bet your left nut (or other relative appendage) that I will as soon as they open today.
    Edit: I have. Waiting on their diagnosis.

SECOND

I fully expect to be doubted, harassed, and put down for my decisions, including personal attacks on myself and my parentage. Let's just say I see trends in responses to queries for help on this board. This story is 100% true. I'm not a troll.
    Edit: Doubted: Double-check-discount-check. Harassed: getting there. Put down: indirectly, yes.

FINALLY

2011 Tacoma V6 automatic. Just hit 5800 miles. I was driving to work this morning. I had set the Cruise Control to 75, but had since cancelled it by pulling the stalk towards me due to traffic (the dash light was still on, but I was controlling the speed with my right foot). Traffic cleared and I accelerated back to 75 using my right foot. After sitting at 75 for a few miles, neither accelerating nor decelerating and controlling the speed with my foot, the truck started to accelerate on its own. I removed my foot from the gas pedal and it continued to accelerate. Not a quick, foot-to-the-floor acceleration, but the amount you'd expect from resuming the Cruise Control. I HADN'T TOUCHED THE CRUISE STALK. My right hand was laying on the armrest, and my left elbow was perched on the windowsill. (For those with minds in the gutter like me, my pants were up, and even if they were down, I'm not enough of a man to trigger the cruise stalk that way.)

There were cars behind me, so I didn't want to tap the brakes as that would trigger Toyota's fancy engine-kill, so I pulled the Cruise Control stalk towards me (the "Cancel" direction), and the acceleration ceased and I began to coast. I placed my foot back on the accelerator pedal and the truck accelerated the amount I was commanding it to. I then pushed the button on the end of the Cruise Control stalk to disable it and the light on my dash went out. The rest of the drive to work was uneventful (unless you count almost being killed from people cutting me off three times).

The event occurred after the engine was at full operating temperature, about 10 minutes into my normally 25-30 minute commute.

FOLLOW UP POST LINKS
    Clarification of how I initially deactivated Cruise Control
    A little info on a Cruise Control recall for Scions
    Responses to multiple posts

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
  3. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:25 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Sounds like you have a cruise control issue. Not unintended acceleration. Possible operator error.

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    This.

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    your cruise control was activated. if your story is correct it has nothing to do with unintended acceleration. Did you hit your brakes, if you did and cruise did not shut off then your issue is with a defect in the cruise control.

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    minameismud

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    It was acceleration, and it was unintended. Though it may not exactly coincide with the issues previously experienced by Toyota owners, the term still applies.

This is the control layout for my cruise stalk:
    [​IMG]
    (Shamelessly borrowed from TTORA - from a '97 taco, but it still matches.)

See where it says "CANCEL" with an arrow pointing towards the driver? That's what I used to deactivate cruise. I've used it on this truck with no problems in the past, and on previous vehicles I've owned. I prefer that in some cases to tapping the brake pedal.

The only thing I've done to this truck anywhere close to possibly having done something Very Bad is the fog light anytime mod with the one wire going from the fog relay to an ignition wire. I assumed it was a CC issue, and I'd have a hard time believing the mod could be at fault.

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:05 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Sounds like cancel is not working on the switch and after traveling close to the preset speed cruise kicked back in on its own which i think is normal. I always tap the brake to cancel cruise instead of hitting cancel on the switch. Hell, maybe cancel on my switch doesn't work either, i don't ever use it.

8. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    jgraham

jgraham Active Member

Member:
    Greer, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    Weathertech Digitalfit Floorliner, locking gas cap (Stant 10504), tailgate antitheft mod, DRL override switch with LED lamps and my Original Anti-Hyperflash Mod(TM), Original, pre-recall, full length accelerator pedal!
    Also, there's the possibility of an intermittent short in the spiral cable, leading to "RES/ACC" being triggered without hitting the switch.

Side note: Some of the old 3rd party Rostra Controls cruise controls Toyota dealers used to install had problems with their ON/OFF button when the button was used as a cancel function. My '06 Scion xA had a recall campaign on that one.

9. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    minameismud

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Ok, but why then did it try to accelerate past where I had set cruise before I cancelled it? I can't imagine that part is "normal".

10. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Sounds like you need to get the switch and clock spring checked out...

11. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    That just sounds like the shitty cruise control we all have. For example, my cruise control always accelerates a bit over the set speed and then comes down to the set speed after it thinks it is under normal conditions. Unless your truck went like 10 or 15 mph over what you had it set at, it would likely seem to just be a cruise canceling problem.

As a side note: when you say unintended acceleration, people think of what others allegated in the past, hence why some would be respond in other ways.

12. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Yea
    Possibly this.

You say it accelerated past the set cruise speed. How far past? When accelerating to maintain speed, these cruises will a lot of the time go past the set speed a few mph maybe up to five in rare occurrences depending on terrain. Not a problem, they're just programmed to react slowly.

13. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    when you realized you had a problem why didn't you just hit the button in the first place? what is it, pull to cancel, push the button to turn it off? to tell the truth that's the only way i ever turn mine off. by the sounds of it, that would have worked fine for you.

14. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Why did you have your foot on the gas while it was in cruise? All makers have a disconnect if you touch the brakes.

15. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Truck cruise control was on....started maintaining speed....then you hit cancel and it quit like it was supposed to.

Move along people....nothing to see here.

16. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this. My truck does it every day using CC.

17. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    minameismud

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Nope. While cruise was enabled (light on the dash was illuminated), it was not active. When I accelerated from about 65 back to 75 when traffic cleared, I used my right foot, not Cruise Control.

18. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    When we went on a vacation with the highlander and it was in CC and we were going up a hill or a shallow incline it always went up in speed. 5-10 km/h depending on the slope.

Also if you accelerate yourself it doesn't cancel cruise control.

I have an idea of what happened.

Sent via Tapatalk(Bold 9900)

19. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Like others said, my cruise accelerates past where I set it then slows down to where it should be. Usually on an incline and usually not more than 5-7mph over where I set it. But if it gets faster than that I usually tap the brakes and try again, makes me uncomfortable.

But just to add another possibility, does the area where you live salt the roads or use that liquid salt stuff that dries onto the road to keep ice from forming? I was driving my mom's Saturn once and I started to accelerate, let my foot off the gas, and the car just kept gaining speed. So I pulled over to the side of the road and opened the hood. Salt had built up on some little part (sorry, not sure what the part was) and held this little valve thing open. When I was poking around I bumped it and it popped back into place. Cleaned it off and no more problems.

20. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    glad you were ok and wish you the best in getting it fixed.
    Plus is it is under warranty no out of pocket cost & will get documented in the system.

Products Discussed in

To Top