1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Well here we go. Guess I’m not invincible after all.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Muldoon, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Nov 26, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Muldoon

Muldoon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 ACLB TRD-OR 4.0, Green
    5100s, Wheelers AAL, Leer 100R
    Got under the truck today to get ready and fluid film before winter and found a couple spots that worry me, including this one.
    1DEB7EB2-26D1-4282-BED4-10FD46BD5E0F.jpg

My truck is an 09 that I bought in 2015, and it had seen northeast Ohio winters up to that point, but looked pretty good (low miles) I’ve fluid filmed it every fall since then, thinking I was getting on top of this frame ordeal and preventing my truck from becoming the rust bucket they try to be.

well turns out there’s a couple mushy spots in the boxed sections with no holes and then there’s this hole, passenger side between the crossmember and exhaust hanger which opened up right quick with a few light hammer taps. Most of the rest of the frame looks ok cause of the fluid film, but I guess I didn’t do as good of a job in the boxed sections, or the 6 years head start the unseen rust had on me was just too much to fight.

called my local dealer who I have not much experience with (we moved a couple years ago), asked about an appointment for an inspection, he looked up my vin and said I didn’t qualify, which seems odd to me cause I’m within 12 years? Called a dealer an hour away I had good experience with before we moved and she said yep I qualify and I made an appointment, couple weeks from now.

some people say they convince their perforations to be bigger to qualify but that seems risky cause if they still refuse me then I’m a dumbass that fucked up his own frame intentionally. Got my fingers crossed for a new frame. Any thoughts on this hole? What have people done to rectify their own frames that Toyota doesn’t want to replace? Reweld sections? I love this truck and we’re on a bit of a tight budget these days.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  2. Nov 26, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    16Tacos

16Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    I just had my 2008 frame replaced a month ago, so I'd think yours would be covered as well. I didn't see any holes but they apparently know where to look so I bet if you found that one there are others as well. Only downside is that my exhaust didn't enjoy being taken apart and put back together so I'll probably need a new exhaust to pass inspection next time around.

Muldoon[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 26, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    Minimag95

Minimag95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Niles
    Annapolis, MD
    Vehicle:
    2009 Pyrite Mica V6 SR5 4x4
    OME's w/ 887 Coils, SPC UCA's, 285 ST Maxx. Mobtown sliders & skid
    Either way, I don't think you "fucked up your own frame intentionally". It was already fucked up. If it was soft enough for a light hammer tap to break through, then that spot was not providing and structural integrity to the frame anyway. I'll be surprised if they don't fail it. :fingerscrossed: Enjoy your new frame!

PzTank, LAMCKMA007 and Muldoon[OP] like this.
  4. Nov 26, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    4xdog

4xdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Louis MO
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD, 2015 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD, 2008 Lexus RX350, 1962 Triumph TR3B
    Definitely pick the dealer for this. Agree with Hony Badger that one who's done a ton of frame replacements is the better bet. Worth a bit of a drive I'd say for that experience.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Muldoon[OP] and Skyway like this.
  5. Nov 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    Marc70

Marc70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc70
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4.0L, 6MT
    2” lift, ARB front bumper, steel rear bumper, Trail Gear weld-on sliders, aFe cai, 2lo kit, air bag suspension, RA Motorsports AL skid plates
    How the hell come one dealer says you don't qualify, yet the next dealer, with the same vin, says you do. What kinda bs is going on with this? Especially if the dealer gains almost as much as the owner in this win situation.

6. Nov 26, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    Muldoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Responses have me feeling hopeful, now just have to wait til the appt and go from there. Guess I’ll hold off fluid filming for now. Yeah I’m boggled one dealer said one thing and the other said another. Ive had good dealings with the one I’m getting the appt with though so that’s good, used to buy my filters and stuff there and they did my leaf spring recall. Service manager was a real nice guy, hope he’s still there.

LAMCKMA007 likes this.
  7. Nov 26, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    irvan

irvan Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2008 Tacoma
    I agree with finding a dealer who does a lot of frame replacements. I was looking for the replacement for my 2001 I sold because of the rusted frame that my local Toyota dealer wouldn't cover (should have tried another dealer) and drove a couple with replaced frames that were a mess, found a one owner 2008 that had a replaced frame that was great, I bought it.

8. Nov 26, 2019 at 3:45 PM
    Muldoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I’ve also heard that some trucks just weren’t the same after new frame. Gotta do some legwork.

9. Nov 26, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Muldoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    so say I fail the inspection and they say I need a new frame, but I’m not convinced this dealer has done many frames and I’d like to shop around, so to say. Does each dealer have to re-inspect or is one dealer saying it needs replaced usually good enough and I can just pick another dealer to do the work? Seems there’s enough dealers on different pages I’d worry the next dealer over may pass the frame.

10. Nov 26, 2019 at 3:58 PM
    Muldoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Cool, thanks everyone

11. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Muldoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Well not that anyone was hanging on the edge of their seat about it but I did just get approved for a new frame, so hooray.

stickyTaco, PzTank, Muddinfun and 2 others like this.
  12. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM
    Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    -06 Tacoma Sport -77 FJ40 -14 4Runner Trail Premium
    Hey Robert, I just saw your other post on my Woolwax thread. The dealerships make a ton of money on these and want your business. Where are you planning on going? Well, I'm sure whoever approved the frame replacement probably already kept your truck, as they deem them unsafe to drive. I've been through it, so happy to give some advice.

Muldoon[OP] likes this.
  13. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    Muldoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I’m in Ashtabula now, we moved out here to start a farm, but we lived in Cleveland heights for a number of years before the move. I used to go to Motorcars for my oil filters and recalls, had a good opinion of the service manager there at the time. After putting out a call I was advised by a member that Palmiero out in PA did good work for frames, so that’s where I’ll be going. its the same distance from me as Motorcars. My friend had his frame replaced on his 05 at Motorcars and talked about lots of new noises afterwards, he ended up trading in. Granted that was in the earlier days of the frame ordeal, they’ve probably gotten better now, but I figured if I had a voucher from another member for another dealer why risk it? good news is my truck is safe enough to drive for now so I’ve got it til they get the new frame delivered.

14. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    4xdog

4xdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Louis MO
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD, 2015 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD, 2008 Lexus RX350, 1962 Triumph TR3B
    FWIW, the Toyota dealer in my small hometown in Southeastern Ohio (where my dad bought his 1980 Pickup (and 1967 Plymouth wagon before that) has gone through DOZENS of frames for Gen 1, Gen 2 Tacomas and Tundras over the last few years. They had stacks of crated frames behind the service shop. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a service department with experience doing these.

[​IMG]

Muldoon[OP] likes this.
  15. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    In a really strange but similar Toyota dealer experience, m wifes Corolla has the recall on the passenger side airbag. Since typically she is the only one driving the car, it became less critical to get it repaired. For months we have gotten letters from Toyota and now the DOT wanting it fixed.

Called one dealer, and they had parts in stock, but kind of had an attitude and was the furthest away.

Called the nearest dealer where the car had been purchased, the service writer argued with my wife that the recall had already been accomplished. She then stated my wife did not know stating the car was bought used, to which my wife replied, it was bought new from your dealership. Not wanting to back down, the service writer would do nothing.

Called a third local dealership. They were over the top. Great experience from setting up the appointment, accomplishing that and another recall. Simply just knew their stuff and did a great job getting it done.

How a dealer can argue about applicability of a recall issue with the customer is crazy. My guess, they entered the wrong VIN and refused to accept they are wrong.

Products Discussed in

To Top