1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Went to OBX for a week - had a blast!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dennisi01, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Lopatcong, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    Just got back the other day from a week in the OBX - we stayed in Carova, which is a 10 mile drive up the beach from Corolla. It was a blast driving on the beach! I have a 2010 DC LB SR5 4x4, so no e-locker or ATRAC but I had ZERO problems driving on the sand, even when cutting across the ruts. Traction control came on every now and then and that was about it. Funny story - on the way back to the house from our first trip to town, I was behind an expedition that looked like it was wallowing in the sand in front of me, going real slow, so I bust out of the ruts and go around him, and he gets stuck.. I look down a mile or so later and see I wasn't even in 4 wheel drive for 5 miles on the beach, lol! :rolleyes: Saw a lot of trucks stuck too, a silverado, a F150 king ranch, F250 diesel, F450 duallie, that expedition, 2 wranglers, and a CRV. Saw a lot of tacomas out there, but never saw any stuck!:cool: It was so convenient being able to load the chairs/umbrellas/etc into the truck and drive right down to the water.. i'd definitely recommend OBX to anyone! Here's a pic when the wild horses were outside of our house one morning..

Also, a word to the wise.. don't let anyone else open your tailgate.. while you are out there sand blows over EVERYTHING and sticks to the truck. One of my nieces opened the tailgate with her finger against the paint and the sand under her finger caused these scratches.. I used scratchX2.0 and meguiars ultimate compound, but i'm not sure if I didnt rub hard enough, or if these scratches are even fixable with that stuff? Any advice would be appreciated!

trucknhorses.jpg
    IMG_20100803_095201.jpg
    IMG_20100803_095214.jpg

2. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Nice,

I was up there back during 4th of July week. We stayed in Corolla and I drove up to carova many times. It was nice when I went fishing because I could bring all the gear in the truck right to the waters edge. You're right sand gets everywhere and you get that salt film all over everything.

I love the OBX I have been going every summer my entire life. One day i'm going to move there.

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Lopatcong, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    Yeah we got lucky with the horses.. I'm generally not a huge beach fan but it was a blast driving on the beach and our dog LOVED the ocean. I think I could definitely live down there.. 10 miles of beach definitely keeps *most* of the retards away! ;)

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    TakDwn

TakDwn Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC V6 Shortbed 4x4
    Bili's all around, front 5100's at 1.75", rear TSB w/AAL, 265x75/16 BFG AT, Wheelers steelies Type B 4" bs, LEER cap, Tinted, Relentless hybrid sliders welded, Cab mount chop, Plastic trimming, Sock retros, Mirror lift, Satoshi with old school emblem, WeatherTechs, Mudlaps gone, RedLine hood struts, Fumoto valve, Tailgate clamped, Console organizer, Mobtown Offroad Front Recovery Bar
    Any more pics?

We'll be there, 2-3 miles up the beach in 4x4 only area, next week. Can't wait to get the Tacoma in the sand. What tires are you guys running in the sand??

In previous years we've stayed in Southern Shores with friends and family. The sleeps 16-20 size homes. Everyone has a blast. This is the first year we'll be in the "secluded" area. How are things in comparison?

Thanks

5. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I'm running 265-75-16 Duratracs but tires dont really matter in the sand. Just air them down and any tire will do fine as long as you have 4wd. You basically wanna float on top of the sand rather than dig in.

Much more remote up there obviously. I have stayed just about everywhere on the OBX from Corolla all the way to Hatteras. Its basically a family reunion for my mom's side of the family and a tradition, I have been going since I was a newborn baby. I have only missed 2 summers there in the last 25 years. We had 21 people there this year in a big house. We usually stay in Duck on Duck Landing lane but we weren't able to get a house there this year so we found one in Whalehead in Corolla. I would love to stay in the secluded area but only two of us in the family have True 4wd vehicles so it doesn't make much sense.

I think i'm gonna go up there in Late September/early october for a dedicated fishing trip with my buddies and just camp in tents at the Oregon Inlet campground.

Have fun!

To Top