1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Western Massachusetts Tacomas

Discussion in 'North East' started by hogeyphenogey, Jul 24, 2011.

1. May 16, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    LivinLoud

LivinLoud Miller Latte Advocate

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    I mean… it’s a Ford, you don’t care
    Just dropping by to say hi. And @DrFunker be careful with slotted rotors, they are great for street trucks, but adventure trucks will tend to warp them easier when finding water or mud due to the rapid cooling. Nature of the beast.

DrFunker likes this.
  2. May 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I think I had more issue with them being drilled than with the slotted part. Always got shit in the holes

3. May 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    image.jpg

Got 'er dirty this week

DrFunker and tacobell007 like this.
  4. May 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great picture.

Thanks for the advice about the rotors too. Why I love this place. :hattip:

5. May 16, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    DrFunker

Member:
  6. May 16, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
  7. May 17, 2017 at 1:39 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    Yeah, a few. Didn't see any Tacoma ones. But the others were positive.

8. May 17, 2017 at 2:25 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Hmm probably cause most people are getting at least slotted for a brake upgrsdr

9. May 17, 2017 at 4:06 AM
    jjsul

jjsul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    95.5 OME
    Doc,

My research lead me to blank rotors, over slotted and drilled. Lots of people were saying that there isn't any real need for the slotted and drilled on our trucks. They're just not race cars.

I also read a ton of good reviews on EBC, but I think mine have warped, to be honest. I was even thinking of throwing the old ones back on to double check that it is the rotors I feel while braking, and not something else.

DrFunker likes this.
  10. May 17, 2017 at 4:12 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Depends on where you feel it. Steering wheel is up front, seat/floor is rear.

Now while none of us in here are taking our trucks to a track day, the slotted or dimpled and slotted can help with towing or lot of extra weight all the time. I'm going to get some dimpled and slotted next to try. I need something better than regular ventilated rotors. Drilled and slotted will not be in my list due to not being needed, up keep sucks, and any of them really worth running will be quite expensive

DrFunker likes this.
  11. May 17, 2017 at 4:16 AM
    jztacoma

jztacoma Trust me I’m an Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Semi Stockish
    We had a set of EBC slotted and drilled rotors on our tundra a while back. Things were always getting packed with dirt and mud. They worked awesome for the first few thousand miles but warped and the pads were shot under 15k miles I want to say, got more miles out of a set of Napa pads and rotors. For offroad applications they dont make sense since once crap gets into the slot it will wear on the pads and cause issues.

Like jjsul said these things aren't race cars. A good set of pads and just stock replacement rotors and you should be ok.

12. May 17, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    I have the PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors for 2 years now . No problems . Got them for extra stopping power when towing my camper .

13. May 17, 2017 at 5:40 AM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    I for one will be going with blank when the time comes. @Blais03 just did a full brake job on his truck with duralast gold products, and they have performed well so far

DrFunker and tacobell007 like this.
  14. May 17, 2017 at 5:41 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I blow through rotors getting glazed and dealing with fading

15. May 17, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    you cant go wrong! it was cheap as shit. My pads have a LIFETIME WARRANTY for the life of the vehicle! My anti-corrosion rotors have a 3 year warranty. And my calipers life time warranty too! I dont think ill ever buy any other brakes knowing how awesome these warranties are. I highly recomend them. I can get links / PNs to what I have if anyones intersted.

DrFunker and lynyrd3 like this.
  16. May 17, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    davered00ss

davered00ss Well-Known Member

Member:
    What Mileage are you doing the front brakes at? I'm at 50K now,(13 DCLB TRD Sport) just put on tires and dealership says I need brakes. I normally wait until I hear the tell-tail noise to change them.

As for slotted and cross drilled, they are driveway jewelry. I have them on the vette, but just for looks. modern pads don't off gas like old ones did.

I would also be afraid of stuff getting stuck in them off-roading.

DrFunker likes this.
  17. May 17, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    exactly why theyre intended for street use. im sure they dont clean out after going through mud.

18. May 17, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I'll tell you first hand they don't. I cleaned them out I don't know how many times when I had them

Blais03[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    I think I saw them in your thread, but if you wouldn't mind posting them up again.
    I think this may be the way I will go.
    Thanks Nick.

tacobell007 likes this.
  20. May 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    Thanks for the input everyone. :hattip:

tacobell007 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top