1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

westin hd roof rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SW2005, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM

SW2005 [OP] Member

Jan 22, 2011
    First Name:
    05 4cyl 4wd superwhite
    Wanted to post a quick review

I installed the Westin HD roof rack on a Jason camper shell last week

I really benefitted from this thread about nermalgod's yakima roof rack track install:

I followed nermalgod's recommendations of using masking tape to mark holes for drilling into the camper shell, as well as following his tip for measuring out from a centerline. Thank you Tacomaworld forum wisdom!

First off, unfortunately the Westin HD rack has been discontinued (and is no longer supported by Westin tech support), but I found several shops still selling -- I got mine from Amazon for $176 -- this is for the entire kit -- tracks for attaching rack to camper shell, supporting feet, crossbars, and 2 load holders. Anything comparable from Thule or Yakima is well over $300 new.

This rack has several advantages, the main ones being substantially lower cost and that the aluminum cross bars are much beefier than either yamika's or thule's -- roughly twice the thickness. Other things I like include the accessories that are oriented towards carrying job related cargo like ladder pegs and things to secure cargo (eye bolts on front bar, and load holders on back in attached picture).

The disadvantages are that in order to carry things like bikes and kayaks, you have to fabricate mounts for 3rd party carriers. One thing that helps a ton with this are channel bolts with springs, sold at Fastenal for $2-3 a piece. These fit into a channel on the crossbar

I bought a Malone Katahdin basket which fits this well (though I had to buy longer mounting bolts to accomodate the thickness of the crossbars) -- pics coming in a later thread.

To Top