1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What’s the most secure truck topper?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MGMSangTaco, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Feb 20, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Ah crap! From your other pic, it looked like a garage was just not possible. That sucks double though.

In a sensible reality, street parking should not be a problem. :frusty:

Tacman19 likes this.
  2. Feb 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

baldbeardedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I have a cx single lock in the middle but it’s raining now for pictures. I’m not sure how secure it really is against pry bars and the like though. I can’t imagine it being much better if like you say they knew where to pry, so I’m sure they’d have a trick for that too. I’d doubt they spotted a v series or double lock and said that’s the one.

I really want to sell my cx and get a black alucab but money right now can’t float another big purchase

levie125 and MGMSangTaco[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 20, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    That looks more lije a parking garage rather than a individual garage. It’s sucks sharing common grounds but you do what you have too.

I’d say the Blackvue was your best option but put the rear cam in the actual canopy and get the external batteries they offer. That’s the route I’ll go eventually, probably putting the battery under the passenger seat.

4. Feb 20, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    MGMSangTaco

MGMSangTaco [OP] Colorado Toyota Tuning

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Dang those are sweet haven’t seen them. Wonder if they are more secure the locks look pretty beefy.

Arrived yesterday lol. I’m hoping it uses the same wiring as my other cam.

0AB7BFA7-91AF-4347-B007-742ABF8CB5D3.jpg

5. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:03 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I like the utilitarian look the best. I’m not sure how strong the locks are- definitely different than any on the fiberglass. The only negative I’ve heard on the locks were that in places with colder weather they seem to freeze shut. But for me in fl I don’t have to worry about that
    Was your old rear cam mounted on the canopy too? Did you get the battery system they offer?

6. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    You never know, some people know exactly what to target. Thieves think a bit more than people give them credit for... yes there are stupid thieves but there are also very smart thieves.

tonered likes this.
  7. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:11 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Then I’d think they’d be clever enough to know how to pop all major brands (I wouldn’t think there is much difference besides being either single or double locks)

photogr4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    Waterdog

Waterdog I tried to wash off some of that dusty dirt....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCLB OR
    Work in Progress
    Shoot around here they carry a torch/sawall etc......to get in.....leave nothing you want behind

9. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    Sorry that happened but that's exactly why I don't keep anything of value in the bed/shell overnight. I know some of you guys have your full-on work setup back there so that's difficult to do....

10. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM
    nvnv

nvnv Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD
    Alu Cab or RLD. The Alu Cab is all aluminum and the RLD is all stainless so they’ll probably be a bit stronger than a normal fiberglass shell. Either way the latches are probably the weakest part and anyone with a crowbar will still be able to pry it open.

11. Feb 20, 2020 at 11:10 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    Well I was looking at that photo someone posted in an earlier comment and they are totally different mechanisms, to open a single handle you'd have to work in a group or have ridiculously long arms and the precision of a surgeon. Double latches would be really easy to pop open - you could likely get in there with a coat hanger or a piece of thin/long metal with a little finessing and do one side at a time instead of having to open both at the same time.

MGMSangTaco[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 21, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    MGMSangTaco

MGMSangTaco [OP] Colorado Toyota Tuning

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Exactly my thinking. It looked like it was a really easy pry job. From what I have seen in videos it looks like there isn't an easy access to pry the single middle locks open.

photogr4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I never had a canopy and never tried popping one open, but with a single handle, couldn't you pry at the middle to get some bow going and then rack it to one side or the other to spring open the ends?

Beyond all that, the number of peeps driving around here with no glass in the rear canopy window frame is pretty high.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  14. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    stbear

stbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
    Leer dealer told me that the dual handle locks were easy to open. I wanted the single handle one so he wasn't trying to up sell me. Thieves suck.

tonered likes this.
  15. Feb 22, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    Rick111

Rick111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR 6M
    ARE Z series cap w/Bedrug
    ARE Z Series. The latching mechanism and hinges are nicer than the options I saw on other ARE and Leers at the shop.

2F97F3F6-B1F2-4589-914B-2DB990037227.jpg

Newlife, MGMSangTaco[OP] and Tacman19 like this.
  16. Feb 22, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate
    Op I'm sorry for your loss. The really bad thing about all this is you won't be able to stop anyone. Smash and grab thru the glass and your stuff is gone in 30 seconds. Camera's in various spots capture the guy's pic, but finding a police dept to try and process the crime is troubling. Even if captured, the only gratification is locking the guy up for a few months and around Here, maybe weeks. My Ranger was totaled in front of my house, we know the woman who hit the truck. No insurance, no money, and court will only attach her wages after months of legal action. Will probably not get a dime. I hate it but the shit just keeps getting worse, and we have very little choice except to eat it and move on. Sorry man, I hate it for ya.
    Zim

17. Feb 22, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Even if she doesn’t have insurance don’t you (for instances like this)? Or is that what you meant by eat it but even still I wouldn’t think that would negatively effect your rates because you don’t have control of every other person on the road and them having insurance or not?

stbear likes this.
  18. Feb 22, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Op just thought about this before you ditch your shell have you thought about calling your shell dealer and see if they would be willing to order a new back glass with a single center latch? There are a few people in the show me your shell thread that have had good luck finding dealers to sell them windoors in place of a slider window so maybe the same can be said for the rear glass ? Just a thought and would save you a ton of money because you’ll ultimately loose on your current shell

19. Feb 22, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Go Fish

Go Fish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 4x4 DCLB
    I previously had a SnugTop with a center handle on an older truck. I don't think it was any more secure and maybe less secure than two handles on each side. There were two fairly thin bars going from the center all the way to each side. They had a lot of flex and were secured at each side with a thin piece of sheet metal. I think if you grabbed the center handle and gave it a good strong yank, would have popped open. They may have improved things since then and a recessed handle would help.

20. Feb 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate
    No we just carried liability on the Ranger. We only drove it to the gym and back which is a 1.5 miles. It was a family hand-me-down. This is a mid west town of 2,600 folks, and I never expected this. 1.2% unemployment, not many drug problems. I'm a east coast guy, and I'm sure this happens a thousand times a day out there, but here? Turned out she did call the other day finally. I had to send a letter to her work. We settled for a little less than the estimate and I'll throw a flat bed on it, and roll. I'm lucky.
    Zim

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top