1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What 45 do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by IluvTEA, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    ImthePrez

ImthePrez Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD
    Kimber, Sig, HK if he doesnt like one of the 3 something is wrong

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    Dimonback, lets make sure we give her accurate information. The Ultra is a 3" barrel and one of the best concealed carry firearm you can buy if you consider the standard custom shop options you get.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/ultracarry/

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    TRUSTMEIMATXPRO

TRUSTMEIMATXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hell A
    Vehicle:
    2011 4X4 DC TRD OR
    KN intake, Billy 5100's all around with 1.5 aal in rear
    1911 all that way! I have a Kimber TLE and love it. Like everyone is saying it always depends on how it fits him and what he likes. To my knowledge and experience 1911's will usually have the least amount of "fit" and comfort issues. Especially if you stay with a single stack, it just works great in a full size grip. Unless he has tiny hands dont really think a 1911 would be a problem. Like every one says nothing better then a 1911! Its like the Corvette of hand guns!

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    wtmtntaco

wtmtntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD xtracab V6
    Bilstein 5100's at 2.5", Grey wire, Wheeler's 1.5 aal,
    So... I think if my wife bought me a box of ammo and said pick a gun, that would be the best!!! I carry a Glock 21sf at work and bought a 30sf for carry, but am waiting for my Colt Defender to come in, just a whole bunch cheaper than a Kimber and almost as nice. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the new modern .45's, Sig, Smith, Kimber, etc, but I have to agree get one you like and if you can try different ones thats the best way... Good luck !!

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    Crownedcustoms

Crownedcustoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 fox coilovers 20's & toyo mudders
    Fox coil-overs, Fox shocks, 20" Helo wheels, blowthough, Jl and focal system, Grillcraft grill, Toyo Mud terrains
    I've got a Kimber 45 and have nothing but good things to say about it. good luck!:)

6. Dec 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell

7. Dec 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    blendedfamily

blendedfamily Well-Known Member

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)
    Everybody loves Kimber, I've shot a few of them, and I think they are great guns, but they are a bit expensive. The fit and finishes of Kimber, (I think), top most any on the market, and you'll definitely pay for that.
    An option if you're a bit cost considerate may be considering Taurus. I've got a PT1911, and it's great. You aren't going to conceal the weapon as it's full sized, but they have nice features, and, in my experiences, are very reliable. I've had about 5k rounds through mine with no problems. Taurus also has very good customer service if there are problems.

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    I too agree with Chris!
    SIG P220 is the nicest shooting 45 out there! (But I'm biased!)

Yuma Taco,

9. Dec 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM
    TxPreRunner

TxPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Rockwall, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Factory (for now) Silver, 04 PreRunner, 2.7L
    Absolutely nothing..for now..
    1911. No doubt.

I have a Kimber Pro CDPII, and love it.

Won't jam, tough as bricks, accurate as hell, and if It came down to some odd situation devised by my mind by the weird forces of tacoma owners on the internet, if I didn't shoot the man, I'd have no problem beating the shit out of him with it.

If he doesn't like the feel, he can get custom grips for cheap, they can mold them around his hand, and to whatever feel he desires.

10. Dec 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    As I mentioned I am biased as I have several Kimbers, firearm of choice for CC is my Ultra CDP.

If I was in the market for a durable, unbreakable pistol that was easy on the wallet or purse in your case I would consider a Ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/p345/models.html

I have a basic table listed to help original OP get an idea of price ranges of the items we are throwing at her.

Firearm comparisons for Christmas gift
    Brand.................. Caliber...... Price range (2) ...........Model Number (1)
    Ruger ............................45.............. $500 - $600 .............................P-345
    Kimber......................... 45.............. $800 and up..................... many to choose from
    Sig Sauer...................... 45.............. $1100 and up.................. many to choose from
    Glock .............................45 .............$450 and up .........................G37, G38 and G39
    Springfield................... 45.............. $575 and up..................... many to choose from
    Taurus ..........................45.............. $350 and up...................... many to choose from
    Colt ................................45.............. $790 and up...................... many to choose from
    Smith & Wesson.......... 45.............. $619 and up...................... many to choose from
    Para- Ordinance ..........45.............. $850 and up ......................many to choose from
    Les Baer......................... 45.............. $1690 and up............................. 1911
    Wilson Combat............ 45.............. $1995 and up .............................1911

(1) Most manufacturers offer a 1911 style but many also off other styles in a .45 ACP caliber maybe some of the other posters can help with this explanation

(2) Most of the pricing info was off of the manufacturers websites with Suggested retail price listed however there were a couple of manufacturers that didn't lst price so had to use Gunsamerica.com

11. Dec 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    buy him a 1911 and get a pair of custom grips for it...maybe with his initials or his unit logo.
    Giving anything but a full size, steel 1911 is like giving a blender.
    If you need ideas where to get custom grips, pm me.
    This is a gift, with meaning...don't go for a black plastic fantastic.

12. Dec 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    That may be your opinion, but it isn't good advice. Why give somebody a full size, steel 1911 if he/she doesn't want it, or has a different model in mind?

If a "plastic fantastic" is what he wants, and what will get the job done, then what is wrong with that? Just because it isn't an engraved $800+ gun doesn't mean it isn't a great gift.

13. Dec 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    gtdad66

gtdad66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Front window tint, tool box, bed mat
    try the Taurus PT1911, a great gun for the price. Excellent trigger and feds any ammo ive used including reloads.

14. Jan 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    dont get him a Taurus, S&W, HiPoint, unless he says so (not the most desired guns)

Kimber 1911 fancy gun
    Springfield XDM beast gun (shoots like a caddy)

both safe choices but I would use your wife skills to detect what he really wants.

Or did you get him something? how did it work out.

Somehow last year for my birthday my gf got me a surprise shootgun. We were watching my college team at the bar with some friends. She takes me to the sporting goods store next door during halftime and Im thinking, what does she want here. She doesnt camp or have anything that is in this store. She walks me to the gun counter in the back and the guy hands me this rifled 12g remington with a pistol grip stock, rail, and red eye scope. Some how she figured out what I wanted by our one previous trip to a different gun store and talking with my buddies. BEST gift ever. but she defn. used some sly detective skills.

15. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I kinda like mine too... but the $1200 price tag turns some people away.
    The Tactical isn't quite as refined as the CDP, but I'm thinking it will be fine if I ever get back into competition.

Kimber Resized.jpg
    Tactical 1.jpg

16. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    my G36.

17. Jan 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Lots of great suggestions here. I love my Sig and my Kimber. Just a data point though. If you were going to get it engraved, be sure to ask the guy selling it to you if it's engrave-able. And if he tells you that all guns are engrave-able then he's full of crap. The guy that engraved my Kimber for me was telling me how a mutual friend of ours was graduating airborne school and hi wife bought him a Sprinfield XD and wanted him to engrave it. Well the slide was so hard that it broke his engraver. Glocks are the same way, as I'm sure others are too. Just something you are probably going to want to ask about if you want his name or something put on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top