1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what are the chances i can get 300K or 20 years out of my tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NWtacoma, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I know its not a Tacoma, but I have a 2001 Honda civic with 150k on it now and I have had it since new. I gave it to my wife when she started NC State, to commute back and forth. It has been a great car and I have only had to "replace" the Cat. The rest of the car has been good to go and service is all it has needed. Everything still works (knock on wood) and she still drives it today (like she drove it today ;)) Like I said I know its not a Toyota, but it is about the smae as far as reliability goes, their records are equal in my eyes. I have made a bet (for a dollar) with my uncle to keep this truck as long as he has kept his Toyota pickup (21 years) so I really hope it is possible because I would hate to loose my dollar.

2. Feb 4, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Accessories and electricals will eat you alive...prolly one tranny rebuild at least.

3. Feb 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Yeah Rob that truck is really nice, too bad it got jacked. But there was a silver lining for you! Glad to see another Tacoma owner who also rides on 2 wheels.

4. Feb 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Ugh. If you were from anywhere but SF, I would've thought you were joking:rolleyes:

5. Feb 4, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    its a Cali thing :D?!

I don't want pollute your esthethics with my 17 year old Cruiser, so I am now accepting donations for this (new LC)
    [​IMG]
    In Addition to $76 000 required to purchase that vehicle I would like to also receive $17 000 to convert it to Hino diesel in order to achieve better fuel efficiency in order to reduce green house gasses. :D

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I highly doubt it with the amount of electrical and software stuff that's in the trucks now. On top of that, everything is...I'm going to stop right there. Let's just say they aren't what they used to be. I still think they're the best out there though.

7. Feb 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    SalemCBR

SalemCBR Oregon's #2 TW rep

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Elock PreR
    Deck plate, all time auxillary, black billet, xeon bulbs, sockmonkey decals, and lots of back to black.
    ... Hippies

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    :rolleyes:

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    will gas be sold in another 15 years? Or at least to trucks like these?

Probably at least not in california or several big cities.

There's so much that's all about the driver when it comes to keeping a car a long time. I've never replaced so much as a set of brakes from my use, I replace em when I buy used and never again. I BARELY touch my brakes in normal driving. Others ride em all day.
    Automatic transmission would really have to be babied to get over 100k or so out of it. It might still work, but it'll be ready for a rebuild by then. Stick shift... well some last for a million miles (literally) some seem to have problems by 200k regardless of driver.

10. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Depends, your frame might rust through before then!

11. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Fireguy68

Fireguy68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A Brown Guy
    Spring Hill, TN
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver TRD DC Sport 4X4
    I don't see why is wouldn't. I had my '95 Nissan 4X4 truck with almost 200k up until last year when I bought my DC 4X4 Tacoma. I bought it with all the intentions that this truck will and should last at the very least another 15 years. I'm shootin' for 20 though. The only maintenance I did on the Nissan was oil, trans fluid, brakes, and a couple batteries and it ran perfect the day I sold it and will probably get another 100k easily.

12. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    If you take good care of something and fix things as they break/wear out just about anything can last as long as you want provided it doesn't rust. I'm sure there are a number of 05-up tacomas with 200k on them going strong. Mines got 118k on it and I'll likely have it until at least 200k. My wife's 00 4Runner has 207k on it with nothing more than regular maintenance and a few wheel bearings. A few guys I work with have similar 4Runners well over 300k still going strong. One has 340k on it and it's an automatic with no transmission work ever! Not even a filter or fluid change! It shifts just like mine did when I bought it at 71k. So there goes the automatic transmissions don't last past 100k theory. Even my 85 mustang has the original engine and transmission at 187k miles. 25 years of abuse and overrevs and still going strong. Oddly enough now the lowest mileage vehicle I own is also the oldest. My 79 FJ40 has 106k on it now I believe. But the only drivetrain component that hasn't been rebuilt is the transmission and it's had a full frame off restoration. Age isn't kind to vehicles, especially if they are stored outside. My 89 pickup with 198k on it is really crusty. It's solid and doesn't burn a drop of oil but every brake line, fuel line, electrical connection, etc. Has either been replaced or will need to be replaced if I touch it.

13. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Bottom Line.

14. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Whistler_Steve

Whistler_Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Whistler, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Red TRD Offroad
    Icon Ext Travel Coilovers--LR Upper Control Arms--Icon 3 Leaf AAL--OME 182 Rear Shocks--BFG KM/2 285/75/16--Replica TT TRD FJ Wheels
    I got 320,000km (200,000 miles)out of my old 97 before I sold it off. Replaced the usual, clutch, brakes, alternator, belts, oil change every 7000km.

But otherwise I had no major transmision or engine related issues and that was running 33x12.5's on it for half it's life with a 2.7L 4cyl and no gears....:eek: Not to mention we see snow at least 4 or 5 months of the year here.

And believe me when I say, it was treated like a truck and easily had another 100,00 left in it! Not sure if my 2nd gen will be as lucky but I wouldnt' be suprised if it's treated well and in a climate with little to no snow.

15. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    you can't compare vehicles to other generations within the same brand. it is impossible.

i've had a 91 honda civic si, a 97 honda civic, an 05 civic si and 97 two honda civic si sedans, one lemoned, the other i still have and it's a pile of shit. i kept the '97 for 10 years and the '07 i've had since new too.

the 91 and 97 were ideal vehicles. incredibly simple and well-built. meant for indefinite use. the 05 was right before bean counters REALLY started to clamp down and quality went sideways. and the '07s...well, you know that story. everything is shitty in that car except the actual engine. everything.

ok, now VW.

i had an 87 scirocco. i BOUGHT it with 227k and beat the absolute crap out of it. never even a hiccup was uttered from that car...until i was t-boned by a 4runner in 1998. i had a '90 corrado that caught fire but that wasn't the car's fault - long story. then my wife had two MKIV GTIs - an '02 337 and an '03. Both cars were ok, but both had the coil packs fail, and both had the window regulators go.

you could call this stuff anecdotal but it really isn't. and reliability ratings are deceiving because they don't necessarily account for the stuff that doesn't necessarily make a car unreliable but makes it a PITA to own and the receipt pile to grow constantly.

people become conditioned to poor quality because EVERY automaker is cinching the purse strings to cut production costs but still offer a viable product. plus, and i'm not sure if this is directly correlated to vehicle quality, or merely just a sign of the times, but vehicle manufacturers have learned that people just move in and out of their vehicles quickly. they can be throw away vehicles because a commodity that runs out is a commodity that makes the manufacturer money, since the consumer has to come back for more. it's brilliant - make a pile of shit, but one that is still incrementally better that the competition. make the consumer pay for a few repairs when the vehicle JUST comes out of warranty, and then BOOM - force them into a new vehicle.

all of that said - these new toyota trucks are not built well enough to breathe the same air of the previous gen or anything before it. that isn't to say that the older trucks didn't have their issues, because they did, but we all know people who have had their toyota pickup, first gen tacoma, first gen tunda, etc on the road FOREVER with little more than rust issues. how many toyota pickups have you seen with patches or severe cancer but surely have 250k+ and the original 22r?

16. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    On my previous Japanese rigs, those inevitable mid-level repairs (water pump, brakes, etc...) are usually worthwhile, right up to about 20 years / 200K. At a certain point after that, it begins to feel like good money after bad.

20/200, that's about what I'm hoping to get out of my Taco. If there's a lot of highway miles, 20/300 sounds doable.

17. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    A lot of philosophy that's hard to argue with...but I think your premise for it is false. I had a 91 Acura that was a POS after 90k miles...things were going on it like clockwork...a constant job keeping up with the things going bad.

Never so much that it wasn't cheaper than a new car payment still...but the thing that sent me over the top was when electricals became the issue. Memories of Lucas electrics and British Leyland cars still haunt me (had a neighbor with an MG) and I decided then to dump it.

What I'm saying is: over 100k/10 years no cars have been consistently great but a chancy thing. Sometimes you get a car that nothing seems to go wrong or the things that do you can ignore. Sometimes no: you need headlights if you wanna drive in the dark and A/C in the summer if you live in El Paso, TX.

So if you're planning to run to 20yrs/200K, then plan on repairs. And if you comfy with it not being like new and can be happy bouncing around in a running wreck you'll be just fine. Most people aren't.

18. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    I know a guy that has ~250k on his 05. It's all stock.

19. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    total exception to the rule, though i don't know which acura you had so i can't speak of a particular issue. (what'd you have?) but regardless - honda was exceptional from 1988-2001, at the very top of their game with rare exception, like 6th gen accord automatic trans issues. but generally honda products from that span were stellar. and beyond drivetrains -stupid stuff, like the sheet metal was doubled up and rolled at the edges in the engine bay, as opposed to the later gen bag o' razors. the suppliers for all of the parts were top notch - dampers, ECUs glass, brakes - whatever; no corners were cut anywhere. simplicity was key and they needed to be reliable because everyone making cars in japan was competing to make vehicles that would last indefinitely. the world was different then, though. it wasn't yet the iphone world where people were conditioned to things becoming obsolete as soon as it is released. computer, cell phone, television, video game system, car...friendster, myspace, facebook...what's next? something is next so durability doesn't matter.

i generally have little faith in the long-term durability of modern vehicles. i might be wrong, and that would be great.

20. Feb 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods

Automakers have been using computers and sophisticated electronics and sensors in cars for over 30 years..... LOL

If anything, today's are hardier than those when they first came out. Electronic stability control was developed in the 90's ..,EFI was not uncommon.
    Electronics for computer control of engine systems were first used in the 80's and ever since. Every car that has is still in service today for the past 20 years has an ECM and all the associated sensors.

Those early less tested ECM systems, being new and untested over the long haul, were actually less likely to last than today's..I remember replacing ECMs at about 80K in my dad's beloved 80/90's era Ford trucks. They were $90

I would not worry about electronics at all over the long haul. The hard parts will wear a lot sooner and more frequently over 20 years than the electronics. Electronics don't "wear" out. They fail due to environmental or initial quality factors. Quality is much better today then it was in the 80's. People confuse quality with aesthetics. I will take any 2000 vehicle new over a 1980's any day of the week even though the newer vehicle may have a hard plastic dashboard instead of a padded vinyl one with chrome trim....and wood grain .

Products Discussed in

To Top