1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What are the different classes of motorcycle racing?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Cutter_, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 11, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    Cutter_

Cutter_ [OP] I probably could have googled this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Super Air Nautique Build
    Old Man Emu lift, 2 10" JL subs
    Can someone give me the complete rundown on all of them? Country of popularity, kinds of bikes, rules, etc.

I’ve seen five so far, MotoGP, World Superbike, SuperSport, MotoAmerica and WorldSBK.

2. Aug 15, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
  3. Sep 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    Groan Old

Groan Old Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Newton NC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2011 SR5 4X4,Double Cab, V6/auto
    You need to watch some TT (Tourist Trophy) racing. It's superbikes, but rules and track is a bit different. Isle Of Man TT is some of the most fantastic racing you'll ever watch, it's all on public roads and through towns. These maniacs are doing 180 mph through villages, taking corners with rock walls, power poles, curbs and fences just inches away from their heads. The IOM TT averages at least one death a year, and it's been going on every year since 1907. The race is a sort of time trial, riders leave the start at ten second intervals and best time wins.

The Irish Gran Prix is similar, raced on public roads and just as fast, but the bikes all start together on a grid like other Moto GP does.

I used to ride amateur endurance road races back in the 1980's; they were from 4 to 24 hours long, and you raced in a class according to your bike's displacement. All displacements were on the track at the same time; you had bikes as small as 250cc in Lightweight Superbike, up to 1200 cc in Heavyweight Superbike, all flying around together. Riders were in teams; the short races might change only two riders once during the race; the 24 hour race, we'd change every 45 minutes to an hour all through the race, between four riders. Each team had a scorekeeper, who all sat together and kept track of laps run and time. You got scored for your class, as well as overall, and the big bikes didn't always win the overall.

Products Discussed in

To Top