1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What axle is this?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jmarquez808, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Apr 8, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 [OP] Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Hey guys trying to identify what axle this is so i can order the proper complete third member. Its on a 2012 4x4 but it was swapped in at some point because im supposed to have locking reardiff and this certainly does not. Is this sticker identifying the part number?? Tried searching with no luck. Please help

20180406_184912.jpg

2. Apr 9, 2018 at 5:13 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    The LSD sticker would signify the truck it came from had some form of limited slip differential. Afaik 09+ has the simulated lsd from modulating the brakes... not sure how anything changed inside the diff itself, but I believe it didn't have a mechanical limited slip any more after 08. Too long away from the 2nd gen forums so take that with a huge grain of salt...

3. Apr 9, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    You’re supposed to have a locker in a 2wd regular cab? I didn’t think that was possible unless it’s aftermarket.

4. Apr 9, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    He said it was swapped in...

5. Apr 9, 2018 at 7:03 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    No read it again, he said the current axle was swapped in he is “supposed” to have a locker. But I see his signature is just incorrect.

6. Apr 9, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Afaik you could have the simulated lsd from the brake modulation after 08. I believe this guys' build had one. Like I said, been out of the 2nd gen modding game too long tho.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacokid09s-build.152703/

7. Apr 9, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    jmarquez808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    This is a different truck i bought from auction 2012 double cab 4x4. My sig truck is not this truck. Someone swapped the axle out. This 2012 is supposed to have a locking diff. All the connectors are zip tied to the current axle and i have the stock diff lock button on the dash.

8. Apr 9, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Sub_Par likes this.
  9. Apr 9, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    jmarquez808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Id like to swap in a new 3rd member for this axle since the previous jackass damaged the current one and sheared it off lol. Ultimately ill swap the proper axle back in when i can find a good deal. But for now i wanna just get it going for now and make sure nothing else is wrong like transmission and transfer case . Anyone know what i should order. Im still clueless. What year i should get, probably going for ebay used

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Apr 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Sheared what off? There's only two types of axles for 2nd gen 6 lugs - e lockers and "8.4" open diffs which would include those with the factory lsd. To confirm what I'm talking about, you can check out ECGS's website - many guys on here get complete third member swaps from them so they know our trucks inside and out:

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-1065072-assembled-3rds-clamshells-05-15-tacoma.html

I was going to say just look through local sales, but if you're in Hawaii that could be a challenge...

11. Apr 9, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    jmarquez808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Thats the current situation with the diff. Lol this is my first time really getting i to this stuff so i really appreciate your guys help and guidance. Im hoping the actual axle shafts are still good. Im gonna check out your link and see if i can get just the third member.

20180406_185509.jpg
    20180406_185454.jpg

12. Apr 9, 2018 at 11:45 PM
    jmarquez808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
  13. Apr 9, 2018 at 11:52 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    T100 was the full size truck before the Tundra. Here's a lot of good info:

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

While any 8.4 diff will drop into any 8.4 housing, some of the pinion flanges won't bolt up to a drive shaft on various models without redrilling the flange. Call up east coast gear supply to check that info before you buy anything unless you feel comfortable redrilling the flange. Justdifferentials.com has good customer service too. They helped me find out a 2nd gen and first gen taco have different pinion flange bolt patterns.

14. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:14 AM
    jmarquez808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yah i thought that was what they meant by t100 i know thise are pretty old. Never would i have thought that would swap into a newer tacoma.Wow. contacted the guys from east coast gear supply but their replies were pretty vague and short and it only helps me if i buy one of their expensive new 3rd members. Doesnt help me if i want to buy a used cheaper one off of ebay that will bolt up. They didnt seem to want my money so i will probably go another route.

15. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:15 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Yes that will fit. In the details it it says it came off of a 2006 Tacoma with 3.73 gears and no e locker. It will drop right in. Who said T100?

edit: Wait a second, the pics in that ad don't show a regular 3rd member. you need something that looks like this

edit #2: Nevermind. It also says in the ad that it's not an actual picture. I'd ask for a picture, but it should bolt right up

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  16. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:23 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Just check the pinion flange bolt hole pattern if you want it to be a plugn'play type of thing. 2nd gens are 66mm center to center, 1st gens are 60mm center to center... don't know what T100's and Tundras were. From a bit of research, it seems if you go with an older third from a T100, Tundra, Sequoia, or 1st Gen Taco, they all had the 60x60mm pinion flange bolt pattern. I guess Toyota changed that in 05 to be 66x66. You can redrill the flange like I said. Now that I think about it ECGS doesn't have the best bedside manner - even when I was buying an expensive diff, but they got it done quick, I'll say that. The guy at Justdifferentials.com was pretty friendly and easy to talk to. I'd check on the pinion flange bolt pattern - chances are you'll have to re-drill if you go with a T100 third, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top