1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What ball drop?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SCFirefighter, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Hey guys,

On occasion I use a friend's trailer to haul yard waste and other crap. Before I had my Tacoma I used the FD pickup (lol). Anyway, now I have my own.
    My question: with my 3" lift, what kind of ball drop should I buy (3" 5")?
    Are there actual standards I can go by, or does it all depends on the height of the trailer?
    You can probably file this with stupid questions, but I never owned a truck before and never had to buy a ball mount.

2. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
  3. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
  4. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    thanks guys. So there really is no such thing as a universal ball height huh ..
    oh well

5. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    The best thing is to get an adjustable drop hitch. Especially if you're going to be towing different trailers or using different vehicles to tow.

6. Oct 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I saw that adjustable one. Might have to get that. $40 isn't too bad. Just have to make sure I get the right size ball(s).

7. Oct 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Oh, the ball size. There's 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/8". 2 inch is usually the standard for most trailers. You'll just have to check the trailer to see what size it is. The adjustable hitch from Walmart comes with the 2" ball. If you can always buy the right size ball separately for less than $10. I'm willing to bet that trailer has the standard 2" coupler.

To Top