1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What branch should i join?

Discussion in 'Military' started by jackkpecoraa18, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Mar 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    jackkpecoraa18

jackkpecoraa18 [OP] I like to party.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Bradford, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Lifted Regular Cab
    Lotsa shit.
    what the title says, I am in high school and I plan on joining the military, just a matter of for who?

2. Mar 20, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
  3. Mar 22, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    Cyborg

Cyborg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Florida
    There's a couple things to think about before you decide. Here's just an abbreviated list of questions you need to ask yourself before you make that decision:

What are your goals?
    What type of job would you like?
    What are you looking for out of a military career?
    Do you want to be enlisted or officer?
    where would you like to be stationed?
    Are you interested in active duty or reserves/national guard?
    Have you considered the alternatives in the civilian work force?
    Have you talked to a recruiter to figure out which might be best for you?
    Why do you want to join in the first place?
    Do you like to kick ass and take names? join the Army
    Do you like to live in shitty conditions? join the Marines
    Do you want to be around airplanes and drink spiced chai lattes? join the Air Force
    Do you like men? join the Navy

Seriously though, every branch has its advantages/disadvantages and I would advise you to do a lot of research and talk to as many people from each branch as you can to get an idea of what you might want to do. There are a ton of jobs out there and some are only offered in certain branches. Let me know if you have any questions about the Army, and I'm sure there are a ton of other Army guys who would be willing to help.

Fernando, Fiend13, Matmo215 and 14 others like this.
  4. Mar 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    Are you smart? Then Air Force. No? Then pick.

5. Mar 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4
    First off, good for you. Even if you don't make a career out of it, military service is a valuable experience and should give you a head start on life over other folks your age.

I did 5 years in the army- air defense artillery (PATRIOT missile). Sounds cool, wasn't so much. ADA promotes quickly, I made E-5 in 3 years. Not really a fun job though. I have friends in both navy and air force who love their jobs. If I had it to do over, I would have picked one of those.

Good luck in whatever you decide and remember they all come with a certain level of BS...same as any job.

6. Mar 26, 2016 at 6:51 AM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    CustomTacos Mafia!
    Nachos, Lemon Heads, My Truck Is Stock!
    If you are looking for a job or career then dont join. Go to college or a vocational school and learn a trade. There are too many people who joined the service because they needed a job or wanted to pay for college. Guess what, the military is not a job, its a responsibility. Think about that before you make any a decision.

jackkpecoraa18[OP] and mwc273 like this.
  7. Mar 26, 2016 at 6:54 AM
    TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD, DCSB, AUTO, BLAZING BLUE, PREMIUM JBL TECT.
    Stock TRD OFF ROAD DCSB AUTO JBL TECT. Bed Mat Heated and turn signal mirrors Wet Okole Front Seat Covers Prodigy Brake Controler Front Skid Plate Power Wagon Badge Tint Driver and Pessenger door windows Inchannel window vents
    O YEA, SEMPER FI !!!!!!!!

8. Mar 26, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hear C_Ratt coming......:rolleyes:

jackkpecoraa18[OP], C_Ratt and Sig45 like this.
  9. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    Launch21v

Launch21v Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD sport dclb 4x4 tech pack w/jbl white
    Another option is the coast guard. I almost joined in high school. I liked the idea of staying somewhat domestic and not being involved in combat.

jackkpecoraa18[OP] likes this.
  10. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:03 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    I spent 8 years in the good ol USMC and I don't regret it. However all I took from it in practical application was a ton of stories, many holy fuck we lived through that moments and a beat to shit body. Whatever you do follow a path that will have some practical use after you exit the military. Short of that you will have to go to school to get a real job and then you will spend all your money on guns and supporting your desperate belief that you alone are destined to be Rick Grimes in the near future!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  11. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Every coastie I have ever met was successful after getting out and loved being in the CG.

12. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:08 AM
    gmann1972

gmann1972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    I know there will be a lot crap flying around after I say this...but have you considered joining the Coast Guard...There is a lot of options in the Coast Guard to choose from as a career. And later on down the road if you feel as though the Coast Guard isn't for you, then you can, what's called "Lateral Over" (change) services, join another branch. I was in for 8 years, I was an Electricians Mate, got out of the serve because I received a job offer from Caterpillar Corp, just saying it's another branch to consider...Good Luck and choose wisely...

13. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I don't have any experience with anything but the Coast Guard, but I can say I've loved pretty much every part of the last 5 years being in, and I don't even like boats.

14. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    DucTaco

DucTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm a Marine so be default I have to say join the Marines. But in reality, it boils down to what you want to get out of it. I have good friends in the Navy and they love it, a brother in law in the Army and he's only staying in because he has a wife and newborn son and another brother in law who did I time in the Air Force and is now making around six figures in the aerospace industry. But then again he has a Masters Degree.

Military life isn't for everyone. Look at the statistics. Be sure that it's really what you want before signing on the dotted line because once you're in there's only a few ways out and most aren't pleasant.

I've been in 18 years so I can say that I've loved most of it hence why I've stuck around so long. There aren't many civilian jobs that let you slay bodies. Haha! But all jokes aside, what are you interested in and more importantly, what do you want to be when you grow up. I'm 35 and still not grown up yet. Good luck to you with whatever path you choose.

15. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    Douglas1953

Douglas1953 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Toddville, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    Air force if you like to work on equipment inside planes radios, cockpit controls, engines. After you get out you can get a well paying job at one of suppliers.

Doug

16. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    EasyLivin

EasyLivin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Euless, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Focal PS165AC / Focal PS165V / Alpine PDR V75 / Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F / Leer 100XR shell / Bilstein 5100 lift
    I spent 10 years in the Army. It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be in the middle of the fight, take a ground job in the Army or Marines. If you want a better quality of life, choose the Air Force. I flew helos in the Army and I loved it during wartime but I wasn't as much of a fan afterwards. Don't let recruiters trick you into taking jobs; do what you want to do. They will need to make numbers and will push you accordingly. Good luck!

17. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    Gingerbeard Man

Gingerbeard Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    North Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    Icon stage 3 tubular 285/70/17 Toyo ATII
    That's like asking what woman you should marry.

That choice is up for you to decide. Do you want to sail the seas? Paint a lot of shit? Eat shitty food? Join the navy.

Do you want a combat role? Do you want something that translates to a civilian job easily? Do you want to sleep in nice accommodations?

We can generalize a shit ton on branches. Start talking to recruiters. Don't eat all the shit they give you. But talk about job options. If it were me I'd join the USAF and look for an easy job that I could learn a lot from and promote easily while enjoying it and staying in for the long haul. Retire and get a civilian job that pays well that the military spent 20 years molding you for.

This guys seem to have the best things to say about their time in.

I was a mechanic, engineman to be exact. I hated it.

18. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:21 AM
    Gingerbeard Man

Gingerbeard Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    North Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    Icon stage 3 tubular 285/70/17 Toyo ATII
    Oh, and please, for the love of God, do NOT believe anyone that says; " it's fine, you can always change jobs in boot camp or once you get to your command"!

Sure, you can eventually change jobs, but it isn't as easy as going to a vending machine and picking a flavor and poof, you're golden pony boy.

19. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    Waddy85

Waddy85 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 double cab 3.4 litre V6
    The Navy has a lot to offer young men and women. They now have spec ops pipelines where you can get a guaranteed spot in an elite school (SEAL, SWCC, EOD, Diver) if you qualify, of course. Have you thought about what job you would like to do, and what you would like to accomplish with your time in the military? Will this be a career or a shorter stint? These are things you need to consider before making your decision.

20. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    EasyLivin

EasyLivin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Euless, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Focal PS165AC / Focal PS165V / Alpine PDR V75 / Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F / Leer 100XR shell / Bilstein 5100 lift
    Absolutely as Gingerbeard says....you better ask some questions to the recruiters. Take someone who served with you who knows what questions to ask. Ground guys live a hard physical life; it takes it toll. I was combat arms for 10 years and 3 deployments; it will jack your body up. Looking back, I wish I had taken an IT role in the Air Force and rode it out to retirement. Instead, I got medically separated from a combat injury and now I am starting a new career. That being said, I don't regret it and have some great stories that I can feel good about on the self assessment of life!

Products Discussed in

To Top