1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can a 1st gen tow?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Toyotafan1234, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Mar 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM
    joshipps

joshipps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Sick dent
    I was plenty happy cruising along with my little Tacoma and trailer. :notsure: Lets face it we don't drive full size turbo diesels here. These trucks will have to work a little extra when pulling a decent load.

2. Mar 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Your posts are idiotic. Nobody said they don't ever want to shift. But based on the types of simplistic posts you are making, I can see responding to you is pointless. But alas, I will.

Having driven a manual since about 1982, and using a 1st gen V6 5-speed to tow in the Sierras, very well, I have some real world experience here. I would never want to do the same in a 4 banger manual (or even less auto) because it would be so slow, and a chore.

What the OP needs is constructive practical experience, not your simplistic pedantry. In all caps.

Noelie84 and joshipps like this.
  3. Mar 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Good luck.

OP; Your truck is perfectly capable of hauling the weight, you'll just have to be prepared to be Johnny-on-the-spot with the shifter, is all. It's not difficult to tow with a 4cyl, it just requires some forethought with your shifts and your speed. :thumbsup:

Unsub'd.

joshipps likes this.
  4. Mar 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM
    NeedmoreTaco

NeedmoreTaco Garage full of white Toys...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DCSB Prerunner
    LEDs and stuff
    Traction is exactly what I was concerned about. Assuming he gets a 4x4 then it shouldn't be a problem but a 2wd(assuming no locking rear diff) combined with a possibly full bilge and slippery slope plus pulling the boat/trailer out of the water could be difficult at best. Plus don't forget to consider the weight of fuel, water, gear, and passengers when calculating your weight. I'm sure this would be well over 3,000lbs.

In response to people complaining about towing and gear searching...recently I towed a full uhaul trailer two and half hours up the interstate and barely knew it was behind me. I even averaged 16.5 mpg. It towed like towing was its job.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top