1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can go wrong with my truck - or RysiuM build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by RysiuM, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Jan 11, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dunno, truck was bought used. But I bought oem replacement though. OEM or bust.

2. Feb 2, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    Happy reunion with my 4Runner and 95 Tacoma today. I picked my trucks from port of Gdynia after they arrived from Oakland. Tricks survived this 6 weeks on the sea journey in excellent condition - not even a scratch. After connecting the battery both truck fired up without single hesitation.
    We drove straight to "safety inspection station" - both tracks passed, so they are legal and ready to be registered here.

After getting papers in order we run to gas station to fill up their hungry bellies (fuel tank had to be drained to absolute minimum for sea travel). 95 octane is the lowest rating here but still a bit better what truck needs (95 octane EU is equivalent of 91 octane in USA). That gas station was a bit expensive at 5.03 PLN/l that is about 4.76 USD/gal (locally I pay 4.38USD/gal).

[​IMG]

Then 360 miles trip to my home city. Freeways in Poland have speed limit 90mph but to save fuel we were doing only 80. Still to fast for fuel economy, so I got only 18mpg (both Tacoma and 4Runner). Less then 6 hours later both trucks rest for the night at my driveway. Still with California plates, for few more days.

[​IMG]

Home sweet home.

3. Feb 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Are you originally from there? I'm surprised gas isn't more expensive there. I mean it is still expensive, don't get me wrong, I just always heard the horror stories of 8-10 dollar a gallon gasoline in some European countries. Glad to hear it all went without incident :thumbsup:

4. Feb 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    It used to be when we had 4 dollars per gallon in California (sad times). Gas here in Poland was always just about two times of the price in USA. The good thing is I don't need to commute 60 miles a day for my work :thumbsup: and public transportation in the city is a blast - cheap, convenient and very fast (often faster than car). So I will drive my truck mostly for fun or for hauling heavy or bulky stuff - exactly what this truck was designed for.:)

tony2018 and cruiserguy[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Feb 8, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    I just fueled her up for 4.57PLN/liter (about 4.27 dollars/gallon) after some city driving. From the calculation looks like I got 16.5mpg which is not bad. Funny thing is, every now and then (but for sure at every gas station) someone asks me where this car is from. I point at the license plate and smile: from sunny California. I guess it is the first and the only one 1st gen Tacoma in Poland. Now I'm waiting for some warmer weather to wash it up. After that long winter drive it is dirty like never before.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. Mar 3, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    Today I gave my Tacoma new plates. Now it is all Polish truck. I think this is the first and only 95 Tacoma 4x4 registered in Poland ever.:thumbsup:

Polish plates are quite ugly comparing to USA, heck ugly comparing to anything. And the legal size is to big to fit in the space in towing bumper. The "narrow size" is way to wide, the "square size" is about 4 inches taller than USA plates. If I put it low, so I can open the tailgate, the bottom of the plate will not be visible and I will get a ticket (and suspended registration). If I put it so all numbers are visible, I can't lower the gate.

I'm thinking of actually making long mounting holes so I can move it up and down: down, for opeining the gate, and up for driving. Or wait for someone changing the regulation allowing US size plates be legal in Poland, like they are in many European countries. :ballchain:

BTW I was thinking about "custom numbers", but decided against it. First the cost is insane: +300 dollars for custom numbers. Secondly the plates don't belong to car owner, but to the car itself. If car is sold, wrecked or moved to other region, the plates are gone (I can't keep it even I paid for it). And finally, the behavior of highway patrol is "if you can afford the plates, you can pay hefty ticket". So I have simple numbers just for 64 bucks.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    osterhagen likes this.
  7. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    So now I live in "winter salt state". No more clean rust free California. Nope, no more slacking. I need to start taking care of the frame and other components under the belly. Thanks lord the Fluid Film company has its branch in Poland, so I have access to well know and proven corrosion prevention material. I just need to wash the bottom end of my truck. And this is a little problem.

The only company in town capable of lifting and washing 2 ton truck has broken lift. They told me that they will have to wait one month for parts to arrive. Other car wash places don't lift the car for undercarriage washing, some can do lift but only passenger cars up to 1.5 tons - not good for Tacoma or 4Runner. They even don't want to talk about lifting the truck. So I will wait.:angrygirl: I think one month will not kill the frame.

8. Mar 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    euronut

euronut Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Yosemite, CA
    Hey RysiuM
    Congrats on your cars' safe trip to Poland. Many years ago I shipped my 20 years old car with 350,000 kilometers from Europe to California. I also like to keep my vehicles for as long as possible. Admittedly much easier in California.
    Regarding rust and premature wear due to weather, salt, rain, etc, you will quick discover that the Tacomas sold in the US, are not exactly the panacea, to put it mildly.
    You probably already know all that, but just in case: A thorough spray of rust-preventing cavity spray is essential. There are many brands in EU, it is a waxy liquid with rust inhibitors, that has a tendency to "creep" on surfaces. If you have access to a small compressor, you can easily do it yourself. Will be cheaper and much better done.
    Pressure washing your car frequently will make a huge difference in terms of corrosion, providing you always also spray the undercarriage, wheel wells, as well as the engine compartment. Remember to cover the alternator while spraying, of course.
    Good luck to you, and beware Polish beer & sausages, but that's another rusty subject.

9. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:18 AM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    The beer is big problem. Good Polish beer is 50 cents for 1/2 litter bottle, Czech or German import is 75 cents. I'm growing beer belly as we speak.

ClevSix likes this.
  10. Mar 29, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    rescuetaco526

rescuetaco526 Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road pkg
    Diff Breather, Topper, airbag
    Thank you for the updates, I'm enjoying reading about your adventure!

11. Mar 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    You are welcome. I just noticed that the last picture in this thread is almost 2 months old. Now we have spring. Warm, no snow, trees are blooming, birds are doing what all animals do each spring.

My trucks got Polish license plates (no, they are numbers, not custom plates) and they swapped parking spots. 4Runner now has white front markers (orange are illegal in Poland) and Taco got LED DRL described in separate thread OSRAM LEDriving PX-4 for DRL in 95 Tacoma

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    rescuetaco526[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    With that many miles, the rubber tie rod boots will crack and definitely replace the lower tie rods
    before the trip and the fuel pump might go out soon too.

13. Apr 1, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    Today I gave both trucks (Tacoma and 4Runner) a nice hand bath including pressure washing the belly (frame) hopefully washing off any road salt that might be there. I crawled under and checked Tacoma's frame looking for any sign of corrosion to start forming up. I'm happy to inform that the there is no even a sign of surface corrosion anywhere. The frame looked exactly the same as it was in Sacramento. I'm ordering Fluid Film now and hopefully will apply it next weekend.

I also checked rubber parts and I don;t know how these guys do that but that rubber still looks new to me. I'm going to States this month and I'm going to buy some stuff that I need now: seat belts (the whole set for the front) and they don't retract on their own anymore and also Buckles don't engage every time (especially driver side). I guess in 22 years the mechanism started to show sign of use. I will also order hood lift kit unless someone says it is a bad idea. Both plastic parts used for prop rod started to fall apart so maybe instead of replacing them I will give myself a birdthday present.

14. Apr 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    I decided to take the advise and add a set of lower ball joints to my shopping list. And some tools from HF while I'm on it :)

I talked to Toyota service in my town and so far things look good. They have parts. The even had oil filter in stock for my 5th gen 4Runner even all big Toyotas here (Land Cuser and Hilux) have completely different engine (diesel). They also told me that they can get any part for Toyota built anywhere in the world - it might take up to one week if parts are not in the main European warehouse but for sure if some Toyota factory makes it, they will get it. Of course some parts that not made anymore will not be available - the dealer will not get aftermarket equivalent. So I'm feeling better about my USA branded trucks being here - there is a company who can get me a glass in 2 weeks, and Toyota service can get parts in one week. Life is good :)

The only thing Toyota service will not do is computer diagnostic or repair. They just don't have tools for not European Toyotas. This is not a problem for 22 years old Tacoma (it has only one ECU in it) but 4Runner is a different story. Hopefully that stuff will not go bad anytime soon. I hope. Any mechanical diagnostic or repair they can do.

As for the fluid film I ordered the whole case (12 cans of 400ml) of it and it should arrive in two days. I'll do Tacoma first, and 4Runner next week, after the service does the oil change.

One question about fluid film application. After washing up the frame I noticed that there is still a little dust (or mud when it was wet) inside the frame. It is not like a tons of mud, just enough to make my finger dirty. Is any way of cleaning it out besides just running a tons of water through the frame holes? Or maybe I shouldn't bother and just apply fluid film over it.

rescuetaco526 likes this.
  15. Apr 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    I repeat the question about fluid film application. I lived in California, so I had no experience in it at all. The delivery comes tomorrow so I'd like to know asap.

After washing up the frame I noticed that there is still a little dust (or mud when it was wet) inside the frame. It is not like a tons of mud, just enough to make my finger dirty. Is any way of cleaning it out besides just running a tons of water through the frame holes? Or maybe I shouldn't bother and just apply fluid film over it?

16. Apr 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    rescuetaco526

rescuetaco526 Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road pkg
    Diff Breather, Topper, airbag
    I've lived in Kentucky for several years, had a 97 that took its fair share of salt. It started to show some rather extensive frame rust about the time I sold it. The second gen that I've replaced it with gets a power washing with hot water from the local car wash or a buddy's house that has the hot water hooked up. I also use some dollar store degreaser or gunk to get the salt/mud whatever off. I'd do my best to clean the frame, give it a few days, clean it again, and apply the protector. This is purely my opinion, but salt/dirt and air together cause rust, a little dirt with fluid film on it still keeps air from getting to the rust.

17. Apr 10, 2017 at 6:45 AM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    Finally the weather cooperated (it was actually quite hot today) so I did fluid film. That thing stinks for sure and looks like brontosaurus sneeze - remember that scene from Jurasic Park ?

Anyway, I use ramps to get a bit more clearance under the truck and sprayed the crap out of the frame. All these scary "rotten frame pictures" showed, that the first thing to go is the rear suspension mount so I focused on that
    [​IMG]

Of course I put about the same amount of fluid film inside the frame as outside. I probably overdid it in few places too

[​IMG]

That pink stuff on the frame is not a rust, but my reflection. The frame is still pristine, complements of California. The camera not always get colors right, look here: even my tires looks rusty

[​IMG]

It really looks more like that now

[​IMG]

On the rear differential there were some spots with sign of surface rust. I mean not even the amount you would use a brush for, just discoloration, so I treated it as well.

[​IMG]

On the front besides the frame I also sprayed all suspension parts - simply anything that is metal and is not part of the engine. I also sprayed my skid plates, then I realized, that I should do oil change soon - it will be messy job.

I used total three and half of cans of fluid film of which one and half went inside the frame (I used 2ft extension wand). Now I feel comfortable that my truck is protected. It is quite smelly, same as me by the way. I took a shower, but still smell a goat.

18. Apr 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    I think I am not in big doodoo. I just checked my local Toyota dealer parts and gave them my shopping list for 95 Tacoma parts. They can get all of them (including seat belts) for the price of camelbacktoyota (no tax no shipping). Some parts are in warehouse in Poland, some in Belgium warehouse - these can be delivered in a couple days. Some parts are not in Europe and they have to be ordered from Toyota Corp - these will have 2 months lead time. Either way it beats the cost of me shipping parts from USA using UPS or USPS (that at least doubles the price of the part).

rescuetaco526 and cruiserguy like this.
  19. Apr 11, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Thanks for the fluid film pics, I've been debating on going with spraying used motor oil (cheap) or plunking down the cash for something like fluid film.

Also, if you make your way to Kazakhstan for any reason, make sure to give Borat a big hug and thanks for me. He has made me laugh so hard so many times that I owe him a thanks. :D:(

20. May 3, 2017 at 5:34 PM
    RysiuM

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    So while I'm in pro-active mode I'm preparing myself for the whole "ball joints" job. Taking the opportunity of visiting USA I supplied myself with whole set of left and right LBJ, UBJ and tie rods (from TRDparts.com). Now waiting for OTC 6295 Front End Service Set to arrive from Amazon (the quality set like this is three times more expensive in Poland than in USA). I just hope the customs at the airport will not think I'm some kind of car dealer :fingerscrossed:.

Besides the front end parts I'm bringing the RedLine hood lift kit and House Tuning 20W LED backup lights I'm going to install in my rear bumper (also from Amazon). Now I'm at 50lb airline limit:rolleyes:.

cruiserguy and MainerDave19995VZ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top