1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can I expect from a Volant Intake, If Anything?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paczowski123, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    Well i have got some spare cash thats burning a hole in my pocket. I am looking into doing some minor modifications to my truck and am thinking about exhaust and intake. A friend of mine recommended the volant and from the looks of it its to my liking. My question is would this be worth it? Or a $300 piece of plastic bling? Would i see any mpg gains, or Hp gains that would be noticeable? Or should i just leave the factory one in there in which i have removed the charcoal secondary element and have a K&N drop in in there?

2. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I ran a K&N the past 15 years or so and while they are fine for on road they let tons of silica in your engine. I got tired of cleaning my intake and seeing the amount of crap it was letting through so I just recently switched back to Wix OE type filers. Less crap in your engine and same performance.

If your looking for the best bang for your buck performance wise check out some of the guys builds who run their trucks at the track.

IMO I would start with the exhaust - our trucks already have cold air intakes

3. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    More noise :cool:

4. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    Paczowski123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    Thats what i figured. With that being said any exhaust recommendations? Could i expect and gains by just doing a weld in muffler? Or would it be prudent to do an entire syste,. If so any reasonably priced cat backs? I dont want to be spending $500 on a system.

5. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    dira1987

dira1987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 LT Prerunner
    Metal.
    The volant was the first thing i bought for my truck and honestly if i could do it again i wouldnt. It make you think you are getting more hp because it is louder and that is about it. The filters are also expensive. I had the oiled one that came with the filter and here in the desert it was toast pretty quick. I ordered another dry filter from URD and it cost be almost 70 bucks. all in all it was an expensive mistake that just make my truck kind of louder. And i agree with the silica argument. You can see it in the tube of the intake after the filter so you know it is making its way into the engine. Just my 2 .02

6. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

IMO your always better off doing your own research then asking. When your dumping money into your truck I always like to know what I'm getting. Forums are great, but people are slanted towards what they put on their trucks. It's the norm that people tell you the good things and leave out the bad. Most of what I have done to my truck I have either seen in person on a truck and talked to the owner or mods guys I know and trust have done and are honest about.

There are a few guys on here that have gotten just about everything possible out of our engines. I'm not into that kind of performance so I can't get you started with a link for their builds, but I have read a couple randomly so search around.

7. Jun 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Now that I think about it.....OP...PM homertaco...telll him I told you to ask about the "race tacoma". He was telling me about this guys build when I was at his house last week and he knows the guys screen name. His build is sick and he isn't afraid to tell you what works and what has failed.

8. Jun 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    Paczowski123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks ill look into that

9. Jun 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    KaosTsoc

KaosTsoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Hood Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner

10. Jun 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    intake and exhaust and are both a waste of money. The money would be much better spent on suspension where some real gains can be made.

11. Jun 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p

Products Discussed in

To Top