1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What did you do after High-school?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HSmith_11, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    HSmith_11

HSmith_11 [OP] Tacoma Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Madison, Va
    Vehicle:
    2001 Ext Cab SR5 4x4 MT
    5100/OME 881s 1.5" Progressive AAL 33x12.50X15 KO2s
    Did you go to college? If so, what college and what major?

Did you go into the military?

Did you go straight into the workforce?

Just curious because I’m in the process of applying to colleges right now. (University of Virginia, James Madison University, and Virginia Tech). I’m a senior in high school and planning on majoring in Chemistry to go into dentistry.

2. Nov 26, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    va and Va tech are hard schools to get in.

3. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    KissmyTaco

KissmyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    I have a Gashole
    Spent one year at SUNY UB then transferred to SUNY College at Oneonta
    Got a bachelors in Biology with a minor in Chem.
    After graduating took some additional courses at Rutgers Cook College to meet my entry requirements for professional school.
    Went to UW-Madison for my DVM

You may want to look into the course requirements for dentistry admissions. You may find you will need many more biology courses than you would expect.

4. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    OneBrickThick

OneBrickThick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Tacoma TRD
    TRD exhaust TRD Intake
    I went to University of Texas at Dallas for 3 years for a Computer Science 2000
    I finished an Associates for Culinary and Hotel/Restaurant Management in 2007
    I just finished a bachelors in Rehabilitation Studies with an Addiction Minor this year at The University of North Texas.

You're in high school, you are literally having to raise your hand to take a piss. Don't feel like you have to decide right now what you what to do with the rest of you life. Being a non-traditional student has been one of the better things in my life. Take your time and be patient. Good luck

Biscuits and Tacos4ever15 like this.
  5. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    Matmo215

Matmo215 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sport DCSB
    Im in the same boat, im a “junior” right now but graduating early this year with the senior class. I’ve already applied at NYU, Washington State, and University of Colorado Boulder

6. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Agree with this. A couple of off years exploring options won't hurt, especially if you're unsure of what you want to do. I went straight into college and then straight into grad school from there. Then took 2 years off before starting a PhD program.

BTW, I also went to UTD!

7. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    I graduated high school and wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Military or College. I somehow stumbled into a job working on cell phone towers doing construction, maintenance and "beef ups". It was a traveling job and I went all over the country and it was a blast. It was hard, exciting work and I grew up FAST. I worked there a year and then went to college for a year and found out I wasnt that into school. I joined the Army and it was awesome. After I got out I got into the defense industry and now work for the government. I am currently looking to go back to school to move up to the next level at my job and couldn't be happier. There is no cookie cutter life man, get out and travel, do something new and out of your comfort zone. Find out who YOU truly are. College isn't going anywhere, your only young and free once and your gonna be glad you got out there and did something different.

Biscuits likes this.
  8. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    HSmith_11

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Madison, Va
    Vehicle:
    2001 Ext Cab SR5 4x4 MT
    I’m pretty confident. (Not trying to be cocky but I do pretty well in school and I’m a legacy at UVA cause of my parents and grandmother.) Im not that interested in Va tech but I love JMU’s campus and my brother goes there’s.

I’ll be taking a lot of chemistry and biology. I think I can major in either one but my dad did chem and I’m also more comfortable with chem. But who knows where I’ll be in a few years.

9. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM
    Ceddingermtb

Ceddingermtb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Lake Arrowhead CA
    Vehicle:
    05 trd off-road dscsb
    I’m in the same boat, I’m a senior right now, and for me it’s either military, or mountain biking

10. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    And pay for that expensive ass education if you decide to go that route!

jeff b[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    HSmith_11

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Madison, Va
    Vehicle:
    2001 Ext Cab SR5 4x4 MT
    I see a lot of people going to college for a generic education or major and ending up working a job that doesn’t even require a degree.

12. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    You will likely change your major several times before you graduate. You have time to decide. Chemistry major? After organic and inorganic chemistry there comes physical chemistry (good luck).

13. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    Swisscosmo

Swisscosmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma AC OR
    Worked in the oilfields for just short of a year and hated it. Loved the money though. Left and joined the military.

Biscuits likes this.
  14. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    Tyler07

Tyler07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DCSB
    ^^This.

I joined the Marine Corps at 17- best decision I ever made. Learn who you are, learn what you want, get unique and meaningful experiences, push yourself beyond your limits, learn a skill, see the world, and make the best fucking friends you’ll ever have (your results may vary).

With a 4.0+ GPA in high school everyone said I was stupid for going in the military, let alone the Marine Corps. Definitely not for everyone, and not pushing it if it’s not an interest of yours, but don’t listen to anyone who tries to talk you out of what YOU want to do.

I assume you have your doubts if you’re asking strangers on tacomaworld. My advice would be to get some alone time and think long and hard about what is important to YOU.

15. Nov 26, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    HSmith_11

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Madison, Va
    Vehicle:
    2001 Ext Cab SR5 4x4 MT
    Im more curious about you guys rather than asking for advice. One of the reasons I’m thinking dentistry is because my dads owns a small dental office in our town. He has worked for like 18 years and only works Monday-Thursday. I really want to have a job where I’m my own boss but makes good money.

16. Nov 26, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    Tyler07

Tyler07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DCSB
    I totally get that, and that’s one reason why I got out of the military and started my own business at 23, without college. I have my GI bill, so college is still an option- one that will be paid for if I decide to go that route at some point.

There are a lot of businesses you can start (be your own boss and make good money) with or without college. If cleaning teeth, or making people happy about their appearance/dental health, or *insert reason here* makes you happy, that’s awesome and I say go for it. If you want to spend “X” number of years in college to be a dentist just to make money and you’re going to HATE every second of your mon-thurs work schedule I’d really urge you to reconsider.

I don’t know your motives or reasoning, but that plays a huge part (in my mind anyway). Totally cliche, but I say do what makes you happy. Money is important, but it’s not everything.

You’re smart to be thinking about this stuff NOW. Whatever route you take, don’t stop thinking and reassessing. Strongly consider any and all opportunities that come your way. Just because you choose a path, doesn’t mean you have to stick to it. Things change, and people constantly fall into jobs and opportunities they didn’t even know existed when they started along that path.

17. Nov 26, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    HSmith_11

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Madison, Va
    Vehicle:
    2001 Ext Cab SR5 4x4 MT
    That’s exactly my thoughts. It’s like it’s all laid out for me.

18. Nov 26, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I graduated high school back in 1985. Took 2 1/2 years off working in a garage as a mechanic. The shop owner laid me off and told me to go to college. Got my bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering and have worked in the engineering field ever since as a Tooling engineer, Manufacturing engineer, and currently as a Quality engineering manager. If you're not ready for college, take a year or two off but go to college. A degree in the sciences will pay off for you.

Also, when you start your career, save as much as you possibly can for retirement. You'll thank me when you're in your 50's. I wish someone gave me that advice...

BlazingInfernoTaco likes this.
  19. Nov 26, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    Dgibson529

Dgibson529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    NE F150s of TW FTW
    I graduated and did CNC machining until for a couple years while taking a couple semesters at college but the economy was too unstable to begin a career so I joined the Army. Just finished 8 years all in the Special Operations community and after 5 deployments I separated and am now starting an apprenticeship as a lineman. Couldn’t be happier and wouldn’t go back on any of my decisions.

If you’re set on going to college full time I’d say at least look into National Guard that way you would get state tuition benefits like yellow ribbon program and chip off a bunch of your debt

20. Nov 26, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Went and worked on an oil rig. Then built houses for a bit. Then went into the army.

Dgibson529 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top