1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do I like about my Tacoma? Its not a Ranger.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mainerinexile, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Feb 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    lokeye

lokeye Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD sport , 15 2wd SR, 17 2wd SR
    Foglight anytime, remote wireless reverse lights, backup camera, 120v bed lighting, more to come...
    I had a '98 Ranger 4.0 4wd extra cab. The truck was great. I really have no complaints. The thing was amazing in deep snow.

2. Feb 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    swift722

swift722 Active Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    98 TOYOTA RANGER (haha get it) 4X4,Blue Oval
    3" lift, 31x10.5, cold air intake (thinking stroker kit is on the horizion)
    i have to agree. i have the same truck (98 ranger 4wd 4.0L, 120k) ans i havent had any serious issues, amazingly also not a leak on it. have had to do a clutch and basic tune up, but if you keep up on the maintenance any truck will last. shit i"ve got a customer with an 82 mecedes with 500k no f*&%ing joke.

3. Feb 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracey
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Blue Tacoma DC TRD Offroad
    stock
    I loved my 94 stx extended cab. Great truck I had some repairs but really not many a couple of clutches, one failed because of a rear main seal leak. Replaced the leafs, and put in warn locking hubs.
    The tranny did go in it though. But only after hauling a way overloaded uhaul trailer from Minnesota to Florida and back 2 years later. Ford specifically says not to haul with the manual transmission. Oops. Would have kept it if I wasn't getting a house and married 2 weeks apart. Put 150k miles in 6 years. The guy I sold it to drove it away.

4. Feb 20, 2016 at 12:45 PM
    1Shifter

1Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Outta the black and into the blue
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same as everybody else...
    I still have my 99 Ranger pushing 188k miles, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I took good care of it, regular maintenance etc. I replaced the altenator and of course brakes, shocks etc but it still has the original starter, fuel and water pump and even the headlights are original. Like anything else a lot of your experience depends on how you maintain it and your expectations. My Ranger does not ride as nice as the Taco but I still drive it a few times a week, I expect over 200k miles from her when I put her out to pasture.

Products Discussed in

To Top