1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do I need to do to "prepare" my truck for Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by someguyinWA, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Mar 4, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    someguyinWA

someguyinWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tacoma TRD Pro
    Hi all,

I'll be moving up to your great state in about a month, and will bel living in Anchorage. Driving up through Canada from WA to get there - I have some other threads on that.

I wanted to ask you fine folks is there's anything I should do to prep my truck for the environment up there. I plan on getting some winter tires next season (I have some KO2s right now), and even though it'll be garaged, I'll probably get a block heater, too. Anything else I should look into?

2. Mar 5, 2021 at 2:29 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    -20 or -40 washer fluid, and you will be fine. KO2s are okay, my dad has them on his FJ Cruiser which he drives year round. Me too on my land cruiser.

3. Mar 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    DanaPtTaco

DanaPtTaco Never-ending problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 ACLB Prerunner 4.0 AT
    I would have a set of winter tires separate from your K02s or any other A/T specifically for wet/icy/snowy roads. Also having weight in the bed above the rear axle will help tremendously.

someguyinWA[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM
    Taco2021LB

Taco2021LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DblCab 4x4
    OME 882 Dakars Falken 235/85R16s
    Don't forget -20 blinker fluid!!

5. Mar 10, 2021 at 10:01 PM
    akwagon

akwagon Alaska Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    alaska
    Vehicle:
    08 Access 5spd 4x4
    5100, kazktin leather, truxedo
    If we can get Al gore to visit a few more times in his private jet. Expect the climate warm up more and to be nothing to extreme. Unless our wind turbines freeze up.
    And for some reason my solar panels on my house roof quite working last October. I’m hoping by May I can get up there and see if I can figure out what the problem is with them.

Mark77, someguyinWA[OP] and Wyoming09 like this.
  6. Mar 10, 2021 at 10:44 PM
    DiscoYaker

DiscoYaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4WD SR5 AC MT, 1995 Tacoma 2wd ext. cab auto
    Stock for now.. maybe
    You're good just drive your truck while in Anchorage justbe carefulbecausethere are so many bad drivers like everywhere. Downtown they don't really plow the roads like most people in other snow states are used to. When purchasing tires for winter look or ask for the '3 peaks'. I can't think of actual name now but they are not only rated for snow but cold as well. Coming into AK Anchorage summer/spring soon, enjoy it!

I just re-read post... make sure your spare tire is aired up and drive safe. If you like country music you will have plenty radio stations to choose from in Anchorage.

There is a good taco place that also serves 'traditional' Mexican tacos on Northern lights blvrd called Serranos. The most traditional I could find and very good

Good spot for Indian food?! REI parking lot called Yak and Yeti (also on Northern Light blvd) The also have a sit down restaurant close by on Spenard Rd. (I think)

Right across the street from REI on Northern Lights Blvd is a consignment shop which has a ton of good stuff, it's badass if you are into staying warm for cheap (quality as well) or climbing, hiking,snowboarding, skiing, kayaking, all the fun shit. I can't remember the name right now but I'll post later

Hoarding marmot. That's it

someguyinWA[OP] and GOLIVER0131 like this.
  7. Mar 11, 2021 at 3:50 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Here is my list coming from the land of snow and ice .
    I still have 3 feet of snow and still see 40 below zero in April

Block heater is pretty much mandatory .
    Battery blanket or trickle charger and a quality set of booster cables
    Exterior window blanket . Saves you from scraping the window every morning .You are still going to need a good snow brush .
    Winter care package for the back seat . Blankets , change of clothes , winter boots , winter gloves , lighters and matches .
    4 gallons of fluid film for the frame . Salt loves chewing away at the frame
    Towing strap and recovery gear for pulling yourself and others out of the snow bank
    Are you allowed to run studded tires in Alaska ? If so , spend the extra money to get them studded .
    As mentioned above , a second set of winter rims preferably steel . Salt eats away at the aluminum on the factory rims .
    Mini battery booster for the glove box .
    Extra weight over the rear tires .
    Synthetic fluids in the engine , power steering , transmission , differentials and transfer case .

someguyinWA[OP] and Wyoming09 like this.
  8. Mar 11, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    someguyinWA

someguyinWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tacoma TRD Pro
    Awesome, thank both of you guys for the posts, adding all of this to my list. I have KO2s on the truck now, and my girlfriend has Falken Wildpeaks on her Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. Think we'll be alright driving up (through Canada, not ferry) the first week of April? Or should we get some true winter tires down here for the drive? Not opposed to the latter although it'd be a bummer how much room lugging the extra set up would be!

EDIT: We'll also have chains, but I know that's not quite the same.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  9. Mar 12, 2021 at 9:58 PM
    AKguide

AKguide Active Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    15 AC TRD Off Road 4x4
    We don't use salt on the roads up here, just an fyi....

Products Discussed in

To Top