1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you do for work?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 4x4Runner, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Jan 2, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    Some great advice!

2. Jan 2, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    And you drive a tacoma? LoL just messin with ya, lol

3. Jan 2, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Just about exactly what I wanted to say. Not much else to add.
    I am a Civil Engineer, and do design and construction management, My wife a Physical Therapist. We are both glad that we studied what we did, and enjoy our jobs.
    That being said, I could be a Construction Superintendent without a degree and would enjoy it just as much. Doing what you want is very important. I first started in dental school. I would have made a lot more money as a Dentist, but would not have enjoyed it as much. I changed majors after 6 months, so fortunately did not waste much time.

Biscuits and ecotecin like this.
  4. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    Yeah. Not only that, but I went to the dealership and said show me the cheapest one on the lot. It's the only one I looked at. I plan to drive it for at least 10 years. Before that I had an avalanche for 10 years. It was also the cheapest one on the lot. They actually gave me a great deal on it because they'd had it for 6 months without anyone interested in it.

Biscuits, Michal006, IPNPULZ and 3 others like this.
  5. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I see lots of great response.

My first question when I read quoted text is what do you consider great? Is it pay, job security, time away from work...??

Biscuits likes this.
  6. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:34 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    To be prepared is half the victory...

7. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:50 PM
    Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    image.jpg Cool picture of me at work.

8. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:51 PM
    02YotaGuy

02YotaGuy Guy With A Red 80 Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    Bumper, Winch, 315s, Sliders, OME HD lift, Custom rear swingout, roof rack, drawers, way too much to list.
    What if high schools taught real skills, had more job programs, internships, programs to shadow real professionals... ways to help give young people insight or ideas so they don't go into a college blindly choosing a pointless major. Underwater basket weaving isn't a good degree, everyone knows that Zero gravity pottery is where it's at these days.
    Also... having good parents and mentors makes a huge difference.
    The military is a good option for young adults who haven't found their calling yet. Do 4 years, get the GI Bill, get some travel, some experience, veterans preference, snazzy uniforms... if you pick the right careerfield you may end up with a bright future in or out of the military. This is assuming that there aren't other factors limiting military service.

9. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:52 PM
    02YotaGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    Bumper, Winch, 315s, Sliders, OME HD lift, Custom rear swingout, roof rack, drawers, way too much to list.
    Stay safe!
    I'm not allowed to have cameras, cell phones or any other electronic devices at work... so no photos.

10. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:53 PM
    COJoe

COJoe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Belgrade, MT
    26 year old online student here. One important piece of advice that I have been given in going back to school after about five years off, is to keep your passion separate from your profession. Some may disagree with that, but it makes perfect sense in my opinion. Go to school for something you are good at and something that will not get monotonous quickly. Turning your passion into profession will quickly take the enjoyment out of what you currently love doing.

Personally, I am in property management with a large company in a high tourism area of Colorado. I am going for a business administration degree to further my career and pay within that field. Who knows, maybe I will change my profession in a few years; but the business degree I am working on is broad enough to be applicable in other fields than just property management, as well.

All in all, find what you're good at, figure out what degree will work with it (and hopefully with other things), and just get through the schooling. If you change your mind down the road, schools will always be there.

Biscuits likes this.
  11. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    Texas T

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    That pic was taken by the news crew. It was all over Internet and TV for like 3 days.

Biscuits, Michal006 and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  12. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    02YotaGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    :bowdown:We have a celebrity here with us today

Michal006 and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  13. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:57 PM
    Texas T

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    That's the shit my wife said. Just doing my job, someone just so happened to catch it on video. I'm just glad I wasn't fucking up.

95 taco, Michal006 and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  14. Jan 2, 2017 at 11:59 PM
    02YotaGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    That's one great thing about working in a building with no windows or cameras. Nobody can get evidence of me goofing off. But I would never spend 3 hours on TW.com at work...

15. Jan 3, 2017 at 12:15 AM
    Texas T

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    I'm not sure you would consider my job "great" but I make decent money and it's extremely rewarding. I only went to school for about 8 moths before I was certified and hired. The great thing about my job is that you have tons of time off, there are guys that I work with who have went to school while working and got their nursing degree. A person could honestly work full time at the FD and get a degree in any field they were interested in.

Biscuits and Joe D like this.
  16. Jan 3, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    SilverJack

SilverJack no one

Member:
    All very good points. I went to college because my step-siblings all had degrees and my parents insisted on it. Unfortunately, my parents had no idea what degree I should pursue or if the closest college (USF) was any good.
    So I ended up an engineering major studying computer science. Bad choice because the engineering department was a bunch of Pakistani professor who were only employed because they could write good papers for the university. They spoke terrible English, didn't give two shits, and I almost flunked out of a few courses. I graduated in the top 5% of my High School, so I'm assuming it wasn't me. Finally a good friend ( and former USF professor) told me to either change to the business college or find a real engineering university. I changed over to management information services and graduated under the USF college of business.
    This was in 87, so microcomputers were just appearing in corporate America. I floundered at a local bank for a year before landing a better job in healthcare. Around the mid 90's, PC's really took hold and my career was off and running.

So what did I learn in college? Eh, not much really. Most of my courses were either too basic or too specific. I learned COBOL and FORTRAN, which were already on the way out. I learned how to give presentations, but I'm not a sales guy.
    About the best thing I learned was how to work in teams and how to work under pressure. Never to give up, even if the professor was an asshole. To just keep smiling and working hard. Could I have learned that somewhere else? Sure. Did I waste 4 years of my life, eh, who knows. In retrospect, I should have applied to MIT or Georgia Tech instead of USF, but I didn't know some schools are way better than others. At the time, USF was close and I was lazy. Things still turned out ok.

17. Jan 3, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    Well at least the Greenery Pub was around then!

I too am a former USF student one semester (84) before going to Trade School (Erwin)....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  18. Jan 3, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Sad to say my engineering curriculum was similar with many teachers being from Pakistan, Turkey, Etc. They almost turned me away from engineering as their mentality seems to be that they make a crazy standard and either people meet it or they don't. What many took away from this was to know every facet of the subject as the teacher didn't care to instruct the material and would rather have the pride of having a "difficult" class. I hear they have finally revamped their criteria at my school and many of these teachers were either bumped out or were terminated after their tenure time was up. Its sad though that this problem not only existed at my school as there are many bright individuals who could make an impact in the engineering world, but a technical field with little support can really rub people the wrong way. Hopefully you have found a field that you can enjoy...engineering has some fun, but some boring shit for me as well.

Coot

19. Jan 3, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    SilverJack

SilverJack no one

Member:
    Greenery Pub FTW! I spent many an evening there drinking beer while cramming for an exam. Great sandwiches.
    I was at USF from 83 to 87, so we are officially college buddies :drunk:

20. Jan 3, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    Too Funny! The Greenery was a fun place for sure many a nights walking to my Apt off of 30th St I know it has changed names by now but it was The Gates Apts then....

To Top