1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Do You Think?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JIMB, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mar 8, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    JIMB

JIMB [OP] New Member

Member:
    First post and looking for some insight. I have a line on a 2006 Tacoma, 4.0L, X-cab, 4X4, 6 speed manual with 37K. It is out of town (approximately 3 hour drive) and I have not seen the truck personally. The owner says that he bought it from a friend who was moving out of the state and wanted to sell truck. Truck has slight body damage from sliding into a ditch in the snow. He drove it for some time after this incident and the transmission "locked up" in 5th gear and cannot get the gear shifter to move. The truck will start and move in 5th gear.

Local Toyo dealer says that worst case to replace the tranny with a new Toyo 6 speed would be around $3600, installed.

So my question is this: Do the '06, 6 speed trannys have issues/problems? Anyone have ideas on what to look for or do when I inspect the vehicle? Suggestions?

Thanks, JIM

1969 FJ 40 STOCK and RESTORED

2. Mar 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!
    Not a fan of the 6 speeds, myself, but I have no info on any issues they may or may not have. I know some people are not used to, or dont like that they rev up a bit when shifting gears, but thats all I have heard.

3. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    hillbillytaco

hillbillytaco HOT!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    westbyGodvirginia
    Vehicle:
    06 impulse red trd off road dc v6 6spd
    i have a 6 speed in mine and i love it. it does rev up a little between shifts but other than that it goes just like any other manual transmission in my opinion if you can get it for a little bit of nothing i'd say jump on it put the money in it to fix the tranny and body damage and have the body work done and have a solid truck

4. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How much does he want for it?
    With a locked-up transmission and frontal damage, I'd hope it's CHEAP!!! And I mean A STEAL of a deal.

Personally, I'd stay away from something with that kind of damage/abuse to it. Who knows what kind of other abuse the truck has...if the tranny is gone already. And the fact that you have to put $3600 worth of repairs to it already.

Shop around....
    www.cars.com
    www.autotrader.com

5. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    My guess is he crashed it in 5th gear and that's where it sits now. Take a good look at it... that story sounds a bit too convinient. 36k and the trans is toast??? Pretty much anytime a seller says "my friend blah" my BS senses start tingling. You might want to hire a Toyota mechanic to take a look at it before signing any checks.

I hope for the best for you, hopefully its a good deal on a great truck!

6. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    JIMB

JIMB [OP] New Member

Member:
    I feel a bit uneasy with this also and thats why I am doing some asking questions. He wants $6500.

JIMB

7. Mar 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    All things considered that could be a great price... that truck in FAIR condition is worth about $15,000 (("Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage)). Subtract a transmission+labor, and subtract body damage repair+ 3hrs towing to mechanic= ?... Is the rest of the vehicle immaculate?

And who the hell ditches an '06 with 36k when all it needs is a transmission? Also, I'm guessing $6500 is the best case scenario for the seller... you could probably start playing ball at $4000. Find out what the body damage is and where on the truck... ditches have a way of f'n up front end components.

8. Mar 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

If that's all he's asking... I'd be asking what else is wrong with the truck... Something sounds mighty fishy.

I'd definately take it to a certified toyota mechanic and have it checked over before making any commitment for the thing.

To Top