1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you use for tire plug kits?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Talk' started by coff33, May 23, 2022.

1. May 23, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    coff33

coff33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    5vzfe manual
    I used Slime branded kit. It has a reamer, needle, rubber strings, and rubber cement. I ran into an issue of the strings pulling out with the needle instead of staying in. It was probably my technique (I pulled out in a quick motion). I eventually got the string to stay in by pulling gently and twisting the needle while pulling. But, I went through 4 strings to get it right.

Any other plug kits I should be looking at?

2. May 23, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    If you are running it on the highway I would just take it to a tire shop and have them break the tire down and put a patch on the inside. Hell, discount tire will normally do it for free. As for the DIY kits, they are all pretty much the same made in China junk these days.

3. May 23, 2022 at 11:44 AM
    C-Rok275

C-Rok275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    https://safetyseal.com/shop/

We always had better luck with the plugs that look like cat sh!t than with the black ones.
    Many years ago I had a BFG mud tire with 15+ plugs in it. None of them ever failed.

4. May 23, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Slime is typically a decent brand.

The correct way to plug a tire is to slightly over inflate it, ream it then push the chord in about half way (appropriately 3/4" of tail should be sticking out of the tread) and slowly twist and wiggle as you pull the chord tool out, ripping it out like you're trying to start a lawn mower will definitely just bring the chord out back with it.

I like the "industrial agricultural" plug strings from Tractor Supply and the Slime branded ones but they're all kinda the same and they're only intended to be temporary to get you down the road to the next tire shop where they can break down the tire and do a proper internal vulcanizing patch with rubber cement etc.

5. Apr 9, 2023 at 4:53 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    I use these… never an issue. Just don’t use them in motorcycle tires…those are replaced if punctured. 25F39020-A232-472D-A71A-FBC30B87516D.jpg

6. Apr 12, 2023 at 5:27 PM
    Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quinton
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 2000 4runner
    Toytec lift,4xinnovations bumper
    Safety seal!

mwn likes this.
  7. May 16, 2023 at 10:00 PM
    Veet-88

Veet-88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma DCLB sport
    I always have one of these kits in the truck at all times. I have only needed it once in the past 10 years but I was glad it was in there. Always a good method to get you home if you don't have a full sized spare.

Products Discussed in

To Top