1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what does any TSB have to do with the factory warranty?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    it just dawned on me WTF? TSB's are based on any factory blunders right? engineer johndoe dropped the ball on whatever..leaf springs, tranny quirks..whatever. they dont get any better or worse from mileage and time right?
    i had a chevy S10 ZR2. 80k miles out of warranty. i took it in for some random (i cannot remember what now) work. when i picked it up, i lifted the hood and found a bunch of new wiring. i asked them, and they said they ran a check and found a windshield wiper wiring TSB on my truck..and changed the entire harness for the wiper motor. free, so they didnt need to call me for any prior approval. i never knew why my wipers would stick. i used to need to get out in the rain, and help them get started.

pisses me off that i cant get the rear leaf TSB or any other TSB addressed. ok, i need more coffee..AND i'm working on a sunday. grouchy for sure. sorry.

2. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    YoterHead

YoterHead Well-Known Member

Member:
    lol I had that same TSB done on my S-10. Except mine was paid for out of pocket at first, then the TSB came out and I got a refund.

I agree with you though, it shouldn't be connected to the warranty.

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    They're based on different warranties. TSB springs are a 3yr/36k comprehensive warranty, if you don't have an issue with the rear suspension ride quality in that time period, you don't have a problem. And if you raise the issue after the fact it's probably because someone on a website told you if you get to the dealership with a bed full of sandbags you'll get new rear springs.

The tranny TSB was based on a 5yr/56k drivetrain warranty or something like that. Same principle, if you don't have a problem in half a decade, it's not because your internet friends didn't tell you you had a problem, it's because you really didn't have a problem.

TSBs are not recalls. I think that's the discrepancy you need to make.

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    You bring up a good point. It seems like you most owners have to raise their voices and stomp their feet to get the TSB performed rather then have the dealer volunteer the information to them. They gave me crap about the rear spring TSB and then insisted that the ride would be too stiff. It was like they were trying to talk me out of it.

5. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    The first dealership I took my truck to, the service manager flat out refused to do it to my face. I went down the street and they took my VIN over the phone and made an appointment. It's all about where you go. I told them both that I go camping and the rear suspension can't handle the weight on bumpy washboard roads and it feels like I'm riding on the bump stops.

6. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I think you're getting TSB and RECALL confused.

In briefly looking - the S10 had a RECALL on the wiper harnass for bad solder joints. Recall ID# 21069. That is why they replaced it for FREE while being out of warrantee AND they probably don't need your permission to perform it.
    http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/09-int/1995/chevrolet/s10/index.html

A RECALL is a safety issue and is performed FOR FREE anytime you own the vehicle regardless of warrantee.

A TSB is a 'Technical Service Bulletin' and in most cases - it outlines 'fixes' to common consumer complaints. IF you're under warrantee.... Dealers don't have to perform the TSB's and they are not required to honor them for you.

I'm working also...been here since 4am and will be here till 4pm. My feet hurt!! I need some new steal toes...these ones suck!! (laugh)

7. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I've been waring Red Wing for ever. I don't ware steel toes because the edge seemed to hit my foot when I tried them on and I figured I'd be hurting but I see they are pushing a new design with more toe room. You might want to check it out. Page 3 of PDF http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbSHkz-ZV10VDimkpS7yPUgYYCpjpg

8. Feb 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    janster. good point.

coffee'd up, shift over at work, going home..feeling better.

To Top