1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What exhaust are you running

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by eyesmoke, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Mar 3, 2017 at 1:42 PM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    I think the stock exhaust with a rerouted and cut/turndown after the muffler sounds pretty good.

2. Mar 3, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    Swiftks

Swiftks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112 (front) Bilstein 5160 (rear) Headstrong Progressive AAL ShiftSense Pro SumoSprings BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover BAMF Grille aFe intake w/ scoop Custom Exhaust - URD Y-Pipe, Vibrant Ultra Quite Resonator & MagnaFlow Muffler 4Runner TRD Pro 17" Wheels Wrangler DuraTracs - 265/70R-17 Redline Hood Struts OPT7 LED Headlights (Highs & Lows) Baja Designs Squadron Pro Fog Lights LED Interior Lights Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners TRD Pro Skid Plate TRD Pro Tail Lights TRD Pro Shift Knob @CBoy808 Custom Bedside Decals FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint OEM Tacoma Bed Mat OEM Tacoma All Weather Floor Mats Fumoto Valve Amsoil Fluids
    Got my custom exhaust on finally...

Wide angle underneath while on rack:

Side shot:

Standing underneath looking at cross-member (Y-pipe pretty even):

Shot from underneath hitch receiver (another view of y-pipe clearence)

Y-Pipe is close to cross-member, but still has a couple fingers of room (no touching, vibrating, etc.)

Black tip peeking out

Details:
    • URD Y-Pipe (removes rear cats)
    • 2.5" (4" long) Vibrant Turbo Lined Flex Coupling (welded in where last peice of y-pipe connects together)
    • Vibrant 2" long (2.5" -> 3") reducer/enlarger
    • Vibrant 3" V-band (y-pipe flange cut off)
    • Vibrant 12" long bottle style resonator
    • Magnaflow 18" Muffler (#14249)
    • Magnaflow 4" Black Tip
    Initial thoughts:
    Fucking aggressive sounding. I'm glad I went with the resonator. If I hadn't, probably would be to loud. Resonator got rid of the pops and farts and some drone (have got up to freeway speeds yet). I really like the sound, especially at cold start. Think I'll stay with it a while, and if it gets to loud, I might replace with the Ultra Quite resonator... originally was going that way, but then I got scared thinking it might be to quite, so went with the bottle/performance style instead.

The URD Y-pipe did take some customization to get just right; don't think anybody has just slapped it together yet and been good to go.
    But after a litter cutting here and a slight bend there, got it all worked out... Wasn't to worried about messing with it, as I had already chopped the flange on the end off and TIG welded a reducer/enlarger and v-band in it's place eariler this week. Was able to get the y-pipe up and tucked away in front of the cross member. In my opinion it does sit higher than the stock y-pipe that goes under the transfer case, if even just a inch or two. Like I said no one yet has just bolted it together and been good to go.... Takes some TLC and a torch!!! :eek:

Can't say I've felt any improvement gains one way or the other... Other than my foot being heavier than usual, just to hear it, but I did just get it on. Going to spray paint the rear exhaust tube black, by the tip, with some high temp paint, so everything looks nice and neat.

Will get some videos put together of the sound as soon as I can tonight. Just got home, and wanted to get pics up ASAP.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the way it turned out...

RH408RN and TacomaGinger like this.
  3. Mar 4, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    That turned out great! :thumbsup: Definitely get a video.

Swiftks likes this.
  4. Mar 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    That has a nice rumble to it. Listened to it with my truck speakers. Harmonious. Not raspy at all in idle.

How is it through the higher rpms?

5. Mar 4, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    Swiftks

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112 (front) Bilstein 5160 (rear) Headstrong Progressive AAL ShiftSense Pro SumoSprings BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover BAMF Grille aFe intake w/ scoop Custom Exhaust - URD Y-Pipe, Vibrant Ultra Quite Resonator & MagnaFlow Muffler 4Runner TRD Pro 17" Wheels Wrangler DuraTracs - 265/70R-17 Redline Hood Struts OPT7 LED Headlights (Highs & Lows) Baja Designs Squadron Pro Fog Lights LED Interior Lights Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners TRD Pro Skid Plate TRD Pro Tail Lights TRD Pro Shift Knob @CBoy808 Custom Bedside Decals FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint OEM Tacoma Bed Mat OEM Tacoma All Weather Floor Mats Fumoto Valve Amsoil Fluids
    Ha! Funny you should ask, I was just about to post this:

Just ordered the Vibrant Ultra Quite resonator. Will be replacing the bottle/performance resonator I put on... It's just to loud in the cab at 3k - 4k RPM. Even with a resonator added it's loud. Don't know if it's the y-pipe, 3" Magnaflow or the combination, but man it's got a grumble to it. Use to not bother me as much, and if I was in highschool still, I'm sure I'd be in love, but taste change I guess.... I don't want it to be stock quite, I didn't put all that crap on it to not hear and appreciate it, but damn...
    Anyway, ultra quiet resonator should help, I hope.

I agree cold start and 1k -2k RPM it sounds great, but as you climb it just overtakes everything.

On another note, I noticed you are in Houston... Me too.

Torspd[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 5, 2017 at 2:58 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Katy area, here. Unequal header into merge for turbo, backed by the ultra quiet resonator and an AeroTurbine 3535XL. Glorious Symphony of combustive notes.

Swiftks likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    Swiftks

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    Noise problem solved. Swapped out to the Vibrant Ultra Quite resonator this afternoon... I'd say it cut the sound level by 40%. Really made the 3k - 4k RPM much nicer to listen to, without quieting the lower RPM (1k - 2k) to much. Just what I was looking for.

Videos as soon as I can get them.

***Edit***
    Here's a quick video clip I did on the way home from the gym:

https://youtu.be/bnwGg2bp5f8

Here's a video I did of a cold start.

https://youtu.be/kYWFoIdDSjI

Sorry, had to use my cell phone. Best to listen to the videos in the truck via bluetooth, of with ear buds. Hard to get the bass/deep tones on crappy computer speakers or phone.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    AbePDX and Torspd like this.
  8. Mar 22, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    IvanCard

IvanCard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB SPORT(sold), 17 DCSB OR
    Gahhh this sounds so damn good! I hope someone gets this on a 3rd gen so it can convince me to get it lol how much did you pay for it?

9. Apr 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    AbePDX

AbePDX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Abe
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Mica Tacoma TRD OR V6 MT 6
    I paid around 120$ I got it with free shipping. as I said the only down side is the gas millage, I just cant have enough of the sound!

Benzdriver81 likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    CowboyCorky

CowboyCorky Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma XP 4x4
    I just Installed an mbrp 3inch aluminized exhaust, I really love the sound of it at the low rpms but the higher they go the more rice I hear. Would a resonated exhaust tip help at all with that or do i just need to get used to it?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  11. Apr 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Probably need an inline resonator.

12. Apr 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Nichoff270

Nichoff270 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2017 TACOMA TRD OFFROAD 4x4 DBL CAB Short Bed Black
    BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO2 K&N Black Hawk Cold Air Intake Magnaflow Cat Back Stainless Exhaust TRD Pro Front Grille Deer Creek Hunting Dog Box Husky Liners
    I've always been a big proponent of opting for a replacement aftermarket exhaust along with the cold air intake. For my 2017 Toyota Tacoma, TRD Offroad with the standard 3.5L, V-6, I ordered the stainless steel, Magnaflow, single, side exhaust with the K&N Black Hawk cold air intake. Another expensive mistake! Tried, but can't tolerate the drone when under load going up a mountain. I tried replacing the Magnaflow muffler with a little more restrictive Dynomax muffler which helped a little with the drone but not much. So now, after wasting enough money on these aftermarket parts, I'm back to either just putting the OEM parts back on the truck; or, going with the Toyota TRD exhaust and CAI ($475 CAI /$699 exhaust from the dealership) which the dealership assures me will have no drone and provide the benefits of free-flowing cold air. Just wanted to pass on my expensive aftermarket exhaust and CAI adventure!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    TacomaGinger likes this.
  13. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Dealerships are salesmen, plain and simple.
    They say all kinds of bullshit.
    Those prices are ridiculous

14. Apr 8, 2017 at 12:30 AM
    Swiftks

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    May want to give a Vibrant Ultra Quite Resonator a shot first... Unless you already removed everything.

15. Apr 8, 2017 at 12:36 AM
    Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    Honestly if you wanted beefy tone you should have got a V8 truck and put exhaust on it. Small motors sound like shit trying to sound beefy. That's not what I bought mine for, I go places those big loud trucks can't go and have even pulled a duramax off his axels at the beach with my quiet ass truck while his shit was making all kinds of noise.

16. Apr 10, 2017 at 1:20 AM
    IvanCard

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    I must've missed where you mentioned gas mileage...it went down?? I've never noticed my previous vehicles loosing mpg's lol

17. Apr 10, 2017 at 2:00 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Driver error... he enjoyed the sound too much, right foot kicked his wallets ass

AbePDX likes this.
  18. Apr 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    IvanCard

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Ahhhh lol ok yeah that happens :rofl:

AbePDX likes this.
  19. Nov 24, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    tattooedsnake

tattooedsnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    @Swiftks
    Which magnaflow exhaust tip did you go with and did you weld it on? Was it a 12"? I really like the look of black tips and have been trying to find one that will last against winter.? The aftermarket system that was on my truck when I bought it has rusted from winter. I've been looking at getting a venom 250 for my 2010 double cab in the next few weeks and doing it in stainless so that winter will not defeat me again.

20. Dec 1, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    Remove 2 cats, install exhaust cutout before muffler, install resonator before cutout :p

Products Discussed in

To Top